Decision Time - Blackwall out or raised white letters out? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

View Poll Results: Decision Time ! - Blackwalls facing out or raised white letters facing out?
Go Blackwall 7 38.89%
Go Raised White Letters 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Decision Time - Blackwall out or raised white letters out?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Question Decision Time - Blackwall out or raised white letters out?

It's time for new tires for the Lo-Buck Bumpside (LBB). I'm going with 275/60-15s in the back and fronts will be 225/70-15s.

The question is what would you do and why? Black walls facing out or white letters facing out?

EDIT: The wheels will receive polished trim rings and dog dish hubcaps.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Postmaster

MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.
my votes for white letters out
black wheels & black tires you need something to break up all that black
Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Junior User

firegoat is starting off with a positive reputation.
on a truck, esp an older truck, I think the white letters out look the best. with the black rims, and black wall out, it would just be too dark.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegoat View Post
on a truck, esp an older truck, I think the white letters out look the best. with the black rims, and black wall out, it would just be too dark.
Good points. I should have added that the steelies will get trim rings and dog dish hubcaps.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Elder User

68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree, with the black wheels, if you go black walls out, it will look too utilitarian. White walls out will give it a more sporty look.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Post Fiend

ultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to behold
Any photographs of the wheels and the tires that will be going on them?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Elder User

68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Good points. I should have added that the steelies will get trim rings and dog dish hubcaps.

Ok, you posted while i was typing. With the chrome to break it up, I think it'd look good either way.

Sorry, not much help!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraranger View Post
Any photographs of the wheels and the tires that will be going on them?
Edited the original post with a pic.... tire choices include BFG Radial T/As, Cooper Cobras, or Mickey Thompsons.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Elder User

Maybe this will help? This was the first set of wheels/ tires I had on my truck.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

ultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to beholdultraranger is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Edited the original post with a pic.... tire choices include BFG Radial T/As, Cooper Cobras, or Mickey Thompsons.
Hmmm.... if there's a beauty ring being used, I don't think it would matter too much either way.

I guess this puts the ball back in your court. I would suggest whatever you do, to have the wording of the tires indexed off the valve stem.

For example, if it was a BFG --whether it's white letters out or black letters out, have the "BFGOODRICH" across the top --centered and lined up on opposite side of the wheel from the valve stem.

Place the series ("Radial TA", for example) of the tire indexed off the valve stem, on the valve stem side of the wheel.

The hubcaps would then be referenced/lined up off the valve stem.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Hmmm.... if there's a beauty ring being used, I don't think it would matter too much either way.

I guess this puts the ball back in your court. I would suggest whatever you do, to have the wording of the tires indexed off the valve stem.

For example, if it was a BFG --whether it's white letters out or black letters out, have the "BFGOODRICH" across the top --centered and lined up on opposite side of the wheel from the valve stem.

Place the series ("Radial TA", for example) of the tire indexed off the valve stem, on the valve stem side of the wheel.

The hubcaps would then be referenced/lined up off the valve stem.
Good call highlighting that.... I haven't given that much thought. I'm not clear on your definition of 'indexed'. Do you mean have the stem hole centered on the middle of the text? Or the stem hole lined up in the middle of the blackwall section like Murc's pic above?

A pic or URL would be immensely helpful.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Post Fiend

Let's say the valve stem is at the 6:00 o'clock position (straight down at the bottom).

BFGOODRICH would be centered, in relation to the valve stem, above at the 12:00 o'clock position.

RADIAL T/A would be centered, in relation to the valve stem, across the bottom of the tire.

If the dog dishes have any wording, FORD MOTOR COMPANY for example, the wording would be indexed where FORD was on the left of the hubcap, MOTOR at top middle (towards BFGOODRICH) and COMPANY would be on the right side, all in relation off the valve stem.

If there's just an emblem in the center of the hubcaps, the emblem would be oriented horizontally and upright between BFGOODRICH at the top of the tire and RADIAL T/A at the bottom of the tire.

...hopefully my explanation makes sense --difficult to try and explain just in words.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Let's say the valve stem is at the 6:00 o'clock position (straight down at the bottom).

BFGOODRICH would be centered, in relation to the valve stem, above at the 12:00 o'clock position.

RADIAL T/A would be centered, in relation to the valve stem, across the bottom of the tire.

If the dog dishes have any wording, FORD MOTOR COMPANY for example, the wording would be indexed where FORD was on the left of the hubcap, MOTOR at top middle (towards BFGOODRICH) and COMPANY would be on the on the right side, all in relation off the valve stem.

If there's just an emblem in the center of the hubcaps, the emblem would be oriented horizontally and upright between BFGOODRICH at the top of the tire and RADIAL T/A at the bottom of the tire.

...hopefully my explanation makes sense --difficult to try and explain just in words.
Thanks. It makes perfect sense now. Schwing!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Postmaster

crazed87bronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's hard to say which I'd prefer without seeing the tires and rims side by side. To me I like my white wall tires on certain classics. not to big of a white letter fan on most things. Has to have the right style and flow for me to think the letters look good facing out. If you weren't using beauty rings I'd have to say letters out just because of to much black but since your using rings my votes for black letters out. If I seen a pic of what exactly your using all in one pic then maybe my mind would lean the other way.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Senior User

71Nky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.71Nky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My opinion is to go old skool with white letters out.