6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What I learned/ was told at the Dealership today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The information Mr Loney has provided is correct. Here is the technical description of the particulate matter sensor. Part# FC3Z-5L239-A

The PM11 sensor detects the presence of particulates in the filtered exhaust gas. The sensor element consists of comb electrodes of infinite resistance through which exhaust gases pass. Diesel particulates (soot) are primarily carbon and are a good conductor of electricity. When the particulates pass through the electrodes, they allow voltage to pass from one electrode to another, completing a circuit. This change in resistance is detected by the PM11 module and interpreted as soot leakage.

The PM11 sensor also contains a heater element to regenerate the sensor electrodes. The PM11 module activates the heater element, which heats the sensor to greater than 600°C (1112°F) to burn off soot deposits.

The PM11 sensor is located downstream of the diesel particulate filter. The sensor and module do in fact look like a NOx sensor and module so it is easy to see the reason for confusion.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:20 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My rep gun needs to cool off Keith, thanks for the info. I love reading about how all these little parts work.

Can I solder a usb plug to one of these PM11 sensors, plug it in and use it to heat my coffee while I drive? Lol

Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
The information Mr Loney has provided is correct. Here is the technical description of the particulate matter sensor. Part# FC3Z-5L239-A

The PM11 sensor detects the presence of particulates in the filtered exhaust gas. The sensor element consists of comb electrodes of infinite resistance through which exhaust gases pass. Diesel particulates (soot) are primarily carbon and are a good conductor of electricity. When the particulates pass through the electrodes, they allow voltage to pass from one electrode to another, completing a circuit. This change in resistance is detected by the PM11 module and interpreted as soot leakage.

The PM11 sensor also contains a heater element to regenerate the sensor electrodes. The PM11 module activates the heater element, which heats the sensor to greater than 600°C (1112°F) to burn off soot deposits.

The PM11 sensor is located downstream of the diesel particulate filter. The sensor and module do in fact look like a NOx sensor and module so it is easy to see the reason for confusion.
Great Information and easy to understand.....Thank You......

Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ruschejj
My rep gun needs to cool off Keith, thanks for the info. I love reading about how all these little parts work.

Can I solder a usb plug to one of these PM11 sensors, plug it in and use it to heat my coffee while I drive? Lol
Might get just a wee bit hot.........

Back years ago....work at the Electronic Warfare Range in Fallon Nevada.......

I was shop supervisor for multi radar systems and surface to air missle site.....Some of the gear used 400 Hz 120vac power instead of 60 Hz 120vac power. On the work bench we had a 400 Hz outlet. I day I was in real early and started the coffee......Yep, plugged it into the 400 Hz outlet. Damn that coffee brewed Fast and Hot.........

Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by vloney
Nope! Vacation this week. Cutting firewood all week (3 houses)
Good work..........I cut firewood too. Good exercise.......

Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor

Thanks Keith! My Rep gun also needs to cool off!

Someone fire a REP at Keith for me please!!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Might get just a wee bit hot.........

Back years ago....work at the Electronic Warfare Range in Fallon Nevada.......

I was shop supervisor for multi radar systems and surface to air missle site.....Some of the gear used 400 Hz 120vac power instead of 60 Hz 120vac power. On the work bench we had a 400 Hz outlet. I day I was in real early and started the coffee......Yep, plugged it into the 400 Hz outlet. Damn that coffee brewed Fast and Hot.........
Hahaha. Cool story