1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking out of passenger grab handle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:55 PM
excursionbob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking out of passenger grab handle

I've just purchased a 2013 F250 Lariat crew cab. In the car wash I had quite a bit of water coming our of the passenger handle on the a pillar. I've researched this site and all I've found is 3rd brake light, sunroof and the Sirius satellite antennae leaks. I don't think it could be any of those. I don't have a sunroof, the third brake light is in the back and the antennea is on the drivers side. I'm thinking window seal or passenger door weather seal. Any other ideas?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water Leak

I don't know if this affects the newer SD's, but early SD's has problems at the pinchwelt at the top of the doors. Pull the main front door weatherstrip, and check where the roof panel meets the door opening panel. The fix was to apply silicone sealer at that joint, let it dry, and then reinstall the weatherstripping. Unless Ford changed the design, the door main weatherstrip just pulls off of that pinchwelt. There was a TSB about this problem--it was dated around 2003 or 2004. Let us know if that was the problem.

RON

Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Do you have roof cab lights? Is it still under warranty?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by excursionbob
I've just purchased a 2013 F250 Lariat crew cab. In the car wash I had quite a bit of water coming our of the passenger handle on the a pillar. I've researched this site and all I've found is 3rd brake light, sunroof and the Sirius satellite antennae leaks. I don't think it could be any of those. I don't have a sunroof, the third brake light is in the back and the antennea is on the drivers side. I'm thinking window seal or passenger door weather seal. Any other ideas?
How many miles are on your truck, excursionbob? As a next step, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. If you decide to get your dealer involved, I'll be able to research options to help.

Crystal

Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM
excursionbob
New User
It has 80,000 miles. No warranty and no cab lights. I havent really had a chance to check it out further yet.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Soak the cab down using a spray bottle with a mix of dish soap and water in it. With the HVAC fan blower on medium to high and the windows rolled up tight start spraying around the suspect areas. You will see it bubble. Keep in mind these cabs are not 100% water tight so you will see various leaks at the door seals etc...but there should be none on the roof or windshield seals. Said leak should show its ugly self right away. Id be suspect of the windshield and door jamb upper seals. Let us know if you find n fix it.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM
excursionbob
New User
Thanks all. It's a little cold here right now to deal with this. I think I'll call a glass guy I know and have him reset the windshield first and see if he finds anything else. I will report back!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
If your glass guy is a good tech he'll do the bubble test first. Ask. The factory windshield seal is generally the best one, leave it alone if its not leakin there.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:59 AM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know this is an older thread but I actually have the same problem on a 2012 F-350 that has less than 17K miles on it and is garaged most of the time. I only noticed it recently when I had to drive it on a rainy day. Unfortunately the truck went out of warranty in March. I'm wondering if the OP ever figured out the source of his leak.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:01 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I had my third brake light leak and do this. Water would leak out of the passenger grab handle.

Ya, I know it's in the back and the water is leaking in the front but the third brake light was my cure.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I find it horrible that in 2016 these trucks are still leaking. Most of the time it's the third brake light and Ford continues to ignore this issue and not fix it after what fifteen plus years? My 2004 never has/had a leak but I replaced the third brake light seal with a better one off of ebay. Just a shame really

Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Interesting I have this problem in my new 2015. The dealer replaced the clearance lights on the passenger side. That was a big help but I still have the problem. Looks like I'll be making a 2nd trip to the dealer.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CTYankee
I know this is an older thread but I actually have the same problem on a 2012 F-350 that has less than 17K miles on it and is garaged most of the time...
I'd get this into the hands of your dealer, CTYankee; I know they'll want to get this leak dried up for you. Keep us posted on what you find out. I'll be here if you need help after getting a diagnosis.

Originally Posted by xr7gt390
Interesting I have this problem in my new 2015. The dealer replaced the clearance lights on the passenger side. That was a big help but I still have the problem. Looks like I'll be making a 2nd trip to the dealer.
How frustrating, xr7gt390; let's see what I can do to assist. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal

Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I find it horrible that in 2016 these trucks are still leaking. Most of the time it's the third brake light and Ford continues to ignore this issue and not fix it after what fifteen plus years? My 2004 never has/had a leak but I replaced the third brake light seal with a better one off of ebay. Just a shame really
That and a few other things that have been carried over for the better part of a decade and a half. Foam in the rear wheel wells anyone??? Rotted bed supports two...No wonder why the foreign market continues to kick our buttock. They dont let a problem go a third of that time (generally).
Same deal on my 11. Puddle under the drivers side sill. Third brake light was the culprit. Replaced last year so far so good, dry floor. To say that its has been raining here is a gross understatement. Sufficiently tested for sure.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
I'd get this into the hands of your dealer, CTYankee; I know they'll want to get this leak dried up for you. Keep us posted on what you find out. I'll be here if you need help after getting a diagnosis.

How frustrating, xr7gt390; let's see what I can do to assist. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. Currently I have about 4,300 miles on the truck. I have not yet spoken to the dealer about the continued leak. They were very cooperative trying to fix it the first time I was in I'm sure they will look at it again. The 1st leak was very bad, water would actually drip from the headliner and grab handle. The dealer found a clearance light base was broken & thought they resolved the problem. I have a free oil change at 5,000 miles, I'll ask them to look at the leak then. If I do need any extra help I'll give you a buzz. Thanks Jim

Quick Reply: Leaking out of passenger grab handle