Sponsored by: Moser

2011 f150 5.0 engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM
kspatterson_20
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 f150 5.0 engine knock

I bought this truck recently two weeks to be exact and when the truck it cold all the way until it is fully warmed up it runs great but once it dose get fully warmed up it has a knock coming from what sounds like number four it's vary loud can hear it in the cab with the windows up it only dose it at idle and at low rpms while cruising. I can't seem to find much online about it wondering if any of yall have had this simular problem.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
My advice? Get it to your dealer and don't take "it's normal" for an answer. Read through the links below to see my saga unfold, I won't type it all out again as I'm on my phone, I will provide the links though.
Punch list:
Truck made knocking noise only at hot idle
Took it to dealer at 40,000 miles was told it was normal.
Took it in again at 60,300 and was told it was a bad lifter on cylinder 4
Turns out it's not a lifter. Metal in oil pan.
Now Ford is trying to decide rather to replace with a short or long block.

Http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1360042-is-the-5-0-worth-it.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1358559-engine-making-noise-after-dealer-oil-change.html

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 PM
kspatterson_20
New User
Thanks that helps I've been hoping it's just a lifter sounds to be in the valvetrain hopefully it won't need a new block but if so I guess that is fine it has a warranty they just told me the warranty doesn't kick in till 30 days after purchase just hope it makes it to that point

Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
It's doing the exact same thing mine was doing which seemed fairly benign at first because it didn't affect anything else. My truck made that noise for a long long time. Cylinder distortion is now a known problem with this engine.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 AM
tractorfan
Senior User
Well now I'm worried. My '11 5.0 taps when warmed up. Can hear it in cab also. I mentioned it to my dealer last summer. Was told that it is normal for this engine. They never even listened to it. But it is not loud, you really have to listen carefully to hear it. Sounds like taking two screwdrivers and lightly tapping them together.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM
kspatterson_20
New User
Well if it dose have to have the block replaced maybe they've fixed it with the new engines I don't know if it is still a problem with the newer 5.0

Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 AM
sillydoc
Freshman User
The knock is most likely a cylinder out of round and will require short block replacement at the minimum.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kspatterson_20
Well if it dose have to have the block replaced maybe they've fixed it with the new engines I don't know if it is still a problem with the newer 5.0
You know that is something I wondered about. Surely the new blocks must be fixed I would HOPE. I'm going to ask the dealer this to see what kind of answer I get, I don't know if the dealer would even know.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kspatterson_20
I bought this truck recently two weeks to be exact and when the truck it cold all the way until it is fully warmed up it runs great but once it dose get fully warmed up it has a knock coming from what sounds like number four it's vary loud can hear it in the cab with the windows up it only dose it at idle and at low rpms while cruising. I can't seem to find much online about it wondering if any of yall have had this simular problem.
Welcome to the forum, kspatterson_20! As others have suggested, it sounds like it's time to make an appointment at your dealership. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM
stech
New User
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
You know that is something I wondered about. Surely the new blocks must be fixed I would HOPE. I'm going to ask the dealer this to see what kind of answer I get, I don't know if the dealer would even know.
Just my thoughts on this, but I would think if they do a short block you would be fine , id hope Ford removed all the defective ones out of new circulation, but if they do the long block it will be a re manufactured LB due to the yr of your truck and then my concern would be the build date of the reman. LB.
Me personally I would prefer the short block as long as I am completely confident in the Techs experience, and there were no other issues that you noticed with the valve train etc.

I always wondered about the reman long blocks , are they just all the parts that come back from other motors that had issues then inspected by who knows who and put together in a different motor. I would like to think that all short blocks , and other parts that have been swapped out were destroyed and melted down to make new ones, but who knows.

Interesting link below
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/...linder-Failure

Im just real pleased that Ford is taking care of these 5.0's, thats the only reason Im holding on to mine. I know its just a matter of time before mine goes from intermittent knocking/tapping to full time and its back in.

Bigdaddy2 thanks for all the info and let us know what Ford decides

Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM
kspatterson_20
New User
Yes I've already made appointment just waiting to get it in and the truck has 60k on it

Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by tractorfan
... My '11 5.0 taps when warmed up... Was told that it is normal for this engine...Sounds like taking two screwdrivers and lightly tapping them together.
Let's see how we can mute this noise, tractorfan. I suggest booking an appointment with your dealer for a new diagnosis. Be sure to get back to me with the service status update and odometer; I'll see what resources are available to help.

Kwasi

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM
tractorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Let's see how we can mute this noise, tractorfan. I suggest booking an appointment with your dealer for a new diagnosis. Be sure to get back to me with the service status update and odometer; I'll see what resources are available to help.

Kwasi
Hi Kwasi, thanks for your help. I will make another appointment, and let you know how it goes.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:41 AM
mdandrews
New User
Also have 2011 f150 5.0 that's knocking. And has gotten worse in the over the last month. Plus it burns about 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles. Taken it to 2 different dealers and was told it was normal. Really ! Truck that has under 60,000 miles with a loud knock and is burning oil is not normal. Have had other fords in the past with over twice as many miles that didn't do this.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdandrews
Also have 2011 f150 5.0 that's knocking. And has gotten worse in the over the last month. Plus it burns about 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles. Taken it to 2 different dealers and was told it was normal. Really ! Truck that has under 60,000 miles with a loud knock and is burning oil is not normal. Have had other fords in the past with over twice as many miles that didn't do this.
Welcome to the forum, mdandrews. If you'd like, I can get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager; they'll look into this further to see how they can help. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2011 f150 5.0 engine knock