6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Vibration at idle when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Vibration at idle when cold

I now have a vibration at the steering wheel. It's not real bad but is clearly happening. Happens when truck is cold, not cold as in cold weather, but cold as not up to operating temperature. I'm on the road and can't give up the truck so a dealer can check it cold. But I'm wondering if anyone else has or had a similar experience. Vibration is not occurring during regen which was reported on some other threads. Thanks for your response.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:37 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No wheel vibration in mine cold or up too temp. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Where did you get your last batch of fuel?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure your oil is not too full and cavitating.

I had that once on my previous 2011.

However mine was doing it at all operating temperatures.

Will not hurt to check.

It takes a while to drain 13 quarts of oil completely and then the Ford Dealer added a full 15 quarts on top of that. The manual clearly states that it only takes 13.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I now have a vibration at the steering wheel. It's not real bad but is clearly happening. Happens when truck is cold, not cold as in cold weather, but cold as not up to operating temperature. I'm on the road and can't give up the truck so a dealer can check it cold. But I'm wondering if anyone else has or had a similar experience. Vibration is not occurring during regen which was reported on some other threads. Thanks for your response.
How many miles are on the truck now, StanleyZ? Let me know if you decide to go ahead and get your dealer involved; I'll be happy to do what I can to help.

Crystal

Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Any follow up with your vibration issue? Reason I ask is I've been reading any/all forums (including duramax and cummins) for last 4-5 months and have added 10k miles to my truck with new vibrations at idle.
I've had dealer do injector contribution tests and I've personally been underneath and under the hood with sockets and wrenches trying to find anything loose. Dealer says normal and without CEL they couldn't spend hours chasing something
I have a suspicion that when dealer did valve job they didn't install something correctly or left something loose. I suggested my secondary water pump pulley was out of balance due to visual wobble but dealer mech said normal and 2 other trucks in shop where same. My dads 15 is straight as can be FYI
Also noting the oil level I've changed it since new and added exactly 13qts every time of 5-40. I have debated only adding 12 next time just because the dipstick is so hard to read correctly but 13 obviously overfills into the cable area.
Anyways any suggestions or finds would be great about the only success follow up I've read was loose brake lines and seems like most others just deal with new vibrations or they find but don't follow up in any forum setting.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Hi Crystal. I took it to the dealer and the tech said it wasn't happening. Got the /sa to sit in the truck and he admitted he could feel it. It's very minor and only in gear at idle. As soon as I push the accelerator it goes smooth. I can live with how it is but I'm concerned that the vibration might be a beginning of something. I guess for now I'll live with it.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Crystal. I took it to the dealer and the tech said it wasn't happening. Got the /sa to sit in the truck and he admitted he could feel it. It's very minor and only in gear at idle. As soon as I push the accelerator it goes smooth. I can live with how it is but I'm concerned that the vibration might be a beginning of something. I guess for now I'll live with it.

Thanks for the update, StanleyZ. If you'd like me to get involved in the future, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Crystal

Old 04-13-2015, 04:56 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Stanley, so all else is normal, even when pulling?? Hope all is well my friend!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
What could cause this? Only thing I can think of is the injector pulse. They way the injectors are shooting in the fuel.

You could use some diesel kleen if you aren't using it already and see if that helps.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Good question senix. And for what its worth I've been doubling up on additives running XDPs + dieselkleen at each recommended rate.

From what I've come up with so far;
-Injectors or harness
-Engine or trans mounts loose or worn (one 6.7 had motor mount bolt almost fall out)
-Pulley driven component out of alignment. (Remove belt to isolate)
- Clogged air or fuel filters (from owners manual)
- Harmonic balancer already worn
- Engine oil over filled 15+ quarts
- Some 6.7 cummins notice AFTER deletes
- Some Duramax notice brand new
-Torque converter loosing mount bolts
- Heat shield loose
- Exhaust hitting body

A couple cures have been
-6.7 ford had loose brake lines (not very detailed on which ones but cured vibration).
-Some older 7.3 and 6.0s (as well as a dmax) have loosened all engine and trans mounts and re torqued.

Also for some its just the norm and don't know any different.
My truck at 62k developed the vibration and I took it in within 100 miles and dealer said that's the norm when I would hold my hand on motor intake and see my hand vibrate and the dipstick trying to work its way out.

So every truck and every person is different.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
StanlyZ - How bad is the vibration? Is it getting worse?

I notice a just a tiny bit more vibration as well when cold thru the steering wheel... But it is still cold cold here to the point that I get high idle and Supplemental Heater turn on cold. Mine goes away when the motor is warmed up and I thought this was normal cold motor and weather operating procedures?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 AM
SDR
New User
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the exact same issue on my new 2017 F250. Until the transmission and oil temp heats up (185 above on both seems to be the sweet spot) I get a resonance or vibration that I can feel and hear that sounds like it is in the dash above the steering wheel. The vibration started at around 350 miles on the odometer. It only happens in Drive with my foot on the brake. I can switch to Reverse, Neutral or Park and I do not get it.

Was there ever a resolution found?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
No, but I didn't really try. I just learned to live with it. I was noticing a few days ago it was still happening.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM
SDR
New User
Thanks for the quick response. I have an appointment with the dealer next Monday. If I learn anything I will post it back here. I was just hoping someone had found a solution that was a simple fix.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Mine is doing something similar. I can't even look out the rear view mirror it vibrates so much in gear stopped at a light. Not sure what it could be????

Quick Reply: Vibration at idle when cold