Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Any Mi Techs In Here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 05:14 AM
johnanderson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Mi Techs In Here?

Hi, I'm in the Muskegon area (not that it matters), moved down from the soo last year. Anyway, I posted two threads in other forums that nobody has helped with. Wondering if any of you MI techs have some ideas. 1996 F250 4x4 5.8L xcab with 96K miles: 1. When real cold, say below 30, hard to start, turns over fine trys to start and cuts out, does this and you have to floor the gas. Once running it runs real ragged and then magically smooths out. Only does this cold. Done all the basics, i.e. plugs, cap, wire, fuel filter, and I let the fuel pump cycle before turning over. I think it's a sensor or something. 2. The front end (oh my god!). I replaced the ball joints and front axle u-joints last year due the front end camber (tires were splayed out bad). I have always had this clunk, pop noise when turning the wheel at slow speeds. It is most noticeable when it rains or the vehicle is wet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Diesel_Dummy _
Senior User
maybe a loose timing chain

check the front sway bar brackets where the brace bolts to the frame for loose bolts

Old 11-05-2003, 09:06 PM
79blueoval
Junior User
Same symptoms on a 94 Aerostar
Cure was to use Wynns fuel injector cleaner(dirty idle air control)

Old 11-05-2003, 09:47 PM
built4wheelin
Junior User
sounds like a cold fuel enricment problem. i would first look at the coolant temp sensor and next at the TPS... got any codes?

Old 11-09-2003, 06:59 AM
johnanderson
New User
UPDATE

I got the cold start problem figured out. it was the IAC mounted to the throttle body. I took it off and noticed it was hung open. I cleaned it and "lightly" lubed it with light oil. The truck starts like a champ (was real friggin cold this morning).

The front end: I checked all mounting bolts, i.e. sway arm, shocks, etc. This one is a puzzler. It only clunks/pops when it's wet outside. When it rains for a few days and such. It's driving me crazy. It does it when moving the vehicle from a dead stop or driving in town and turning a corner. It's pretty loud. I'm wondering if it could be the u-joints in the front wheels. They were replaced last year with greaseable units but when I put the grease gun needle in the little hole the graese just backs out. I'm wondering if they have dried out in a year. Seems wrong to me but a guess.

Any more ideas? And what's a better way to get those pesky u-joints greased through the little hole (cannot install zerks)?

Old 12-17-2003, 12:58 AM
red_rocket
Senior User
I go to michigan Tech. But I don't think thats what your asking.