1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I Could Really Use Some Feedback on Headlight Options...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:39 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I Could Really Use Some Feedback on Headlight Options...

I had no idea the wealth of information, options and opinions about headlights! What started out as (what I thought would be) a simple search, buy, and install has opened my eyes to a world that I had no intention of becoming involved with. Halogen...HID...LED...my head is spinning!

My truck was built in July 2002 and has the original headlight housings. I've had the truck for over 7 years and there's never been a drop of moisture inside. I realize the luck I had with these units staying sealed all this time so I've used them for all their worth. I've kept them clean and clear for the most part but the outer coating has deteriorated in the SoCal sun over the years and it's time to retire them. I will say that DEET is the way to go for a quick yellow removal (thanks to whitetmv, TKegs763, clem1226 and anyone else I've forgotten who've mentioned this little gem).

I was considering upgrading to HID but during my Google overdose on the subject I have learned that each housing is designed for a particular type of light source. Halogen, HID and LED all have different light emission sources/patterns which require specific designs for each and do not mix and match well. I now know why everybody seems like their high beams are on ($35 HID kits on eBay)!

I know I'm getting long-winded so I'll get to the point. I've read good and bad on everything you can do or buy (somebody loves it and two posts later somebody hates it) so I need some experience and owner data/recommendations on which way to go and this forum is the one I trust. Here's what I (think) I know:

1. Light and housing need to be designed for each other.
2. LEDs don't get hot so don't melt/evaporate anything on the lens.
3. Most aftermarket housing are a dice roll on if they will leak or are sealed well and some are just bad.
4. HID can cause RF interference with my chip (PHP 6-position) and I should put at least 1 RF choke (magnet) on the line going into the chip.
5. The Hella 80W/100W 9007 bulb is a nice idea but the output is well above the 55W from the factory so that would make them illegal on-road (hence the off-road use only in their description).

Here is my lofty dream:

1. Would prefer USA made (for obvious reasons).
2. Would like to go aftermarket if possible to save a few $$$ as the more I save on these, the more I can use to buy other things on the need list (I usually buy OEM but if I can find a good setup then I can put that extra money into the rest of the truck to get an FRx, replacement door switches, etc.).
3. Would like them to be DOT/SAE certified.
4. Better light that doesn't get everybody flashing their lights at me (nobody does now).
5. Would like to have them be a direct replacement (no cutting/drilling/conversion).

Now that I've put my dreams out there, here's the realistic part. I would like to dump the OEM 9007 housing in place of a better light source pattern. I have a finite budget and I can add more stuff to my list if I save some moolah on the lights. I know that OEM is the right answer 90% of the time for our rigs but if somebody found a great combo that is legal and not overly offensive to oncoming traffic I'd love to hear it.

I would like to find an HID projector housing and some reliable 35W HID lights (~5000K for a regular white light) that don't look too ricer/high school to put up front. My backup would be some '05-07 housings with 9008 lights. I have the GOS Racing headlight harness which made a difference but if I'm sinking some money into my night vision then I'm going to upgrade. I've seen a few 9007 housings with a projector fitted but I don't know if that's a retrofit or manufactured that way. I don't have the confidence (or desire) to do something like that myself. LED is out as the lack of heat will allow accumulation on the lens (yes, I can find rain and snow in SoCal).

In short, I'm trying to find a good projector housing with 35W HID lights that is made here at home (and made well) and that won't break the bank. My backup plan is '05-'07 housings and convert to 9008. I'd still like to do aftermarket to have some money left over (I've got a limit my allowance to fix/upgrade Chief so the more I save the more I can buy) but if nobody's found any good ones then OEM might be the way to go although I'm not really interested in spending the time to cut the header (and no, I'm not planning to convert the grill and bumper to the '05 style no matter which direction I go).

Brands I've come across (besides OEM) so far are ANZO USA (made it Taiwan?), Spyder, 1A Auto, Black Flame Customs, Eagle Eyes, Sick HIDs, Retroshops, Blackbird Lighting, Xtralights, Recon, Spec-D, IPCW, and Retro Solutions to name a few (in addition to the slew of generic/shady stuff on Amazon/eBay).

I've seen a few posts since last fall about headlights but not this particular question per se. Hopefully this consolidates the topic in case others are as stumped as I am. I plan on having my truck until it dies so I will spend extra $$$ to get the good stuff if I need to.

Any personal experiences, opinions, recommendations and friendly banter is welcome. Please enlighten and help me complete my quest for better headlights!

Thanks in advance for any help and info. If nothing else I appreciate the read.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I don't think I am going to be much help as far as what works. But I can tell you what hasn't worked for me. Well you are correct that ANZO USA is made in Taiwan ! Anzo throws USA on the end to trick you into thinking it is American made. I really like the look of the headlights but they do leak and moisture gets in them. They still put more light on the road then the stock E99 headlights did with Ultra bulbs. I myself am going to go to the Hella 80/100 and the upgraded wiring harness. I think as long as they are aimed properly there won't be an issue with the police. Think about it the cops don't hassle the SOB with the HID's blinding every other person on the road. Just something to think about. So I'll be interested to see what others have to say. And if a cop wants to give some old guy a ticket just because he is trying to see at night let him.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brian42

WOW! Thanks. I am in almost the same boat. Headlights are 4 yrs. older....

You've covered just about anything I could add from my research.
I'm along for the ride....if that is ok

BDKuzz

And if a cop wants to give some old guy a ticket just because he is trying to see at night let him.

Funny!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
https://www.superbrightleds.com/
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html

The top link will be useful to some. It will confirm what you already know for the most part. He is not a fan of HID. Just FYI

The next two "supposedly" have solutions for some of the design flaws in the first iterations of LED's. LED's do still build heat just not as much

The last is self explanatory and is from some who are ahead of us.....

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
I set out to solve the issue as inexpensively as possible. I don't try to reinvent the wheel, just improve on a design.

So, what I did to resolve this age old problem with the F-Series Headlamp problem being dim, dull, and generally worthless was:

1. I kept the OEM Headlamp Cases, cleaned them (inside and out), allowed them to dry on a bench.

2. Purchased Sylvania Silver Start 97 Bulbs.

3. Wired directly from the B+ post of the alternator to a relay in either side just behind the headlamp bucket with #14 wire.

4. I used the existing 18 AWG Headlamp wire to switch the relays on either side.

5. My lights are as bright as any projector beam. In fact, people often tell me my headlamps are on during the day and I have to tell them they're my DDL's.

I do like the "looks" of the clear Housings. But, my truck is 16 years old with just over 200,00 miles. I find more body components such as bushing under the cab, door motors and locks wearing out much faster than the drive train.

These pictures were take approximately 100' at 36".

Just DDL's

Headlamps:

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
BdDogCuz,

Are those OEM fender buttons? Don't think I've noticed them on trucks I work or, just never noticed.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by whitetmw
BdDogCuz,

Are those OEM fender buttons? Don't think I've noticed them on trucks I work or, just never noticed.
Can't answer your question but I have the same ones on my e99....

Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhl3
Can't answer your question but I have the same ones on my e99....
I looked it up. They came standard on the F 250, 350, 450, 550, 1999 Powertroke XL and XLT.

You can still get them if you look under 99 Ford OEM Parts Catalog $30 ea.

They were discontinued in 99.5. The Trton Badge replaced them on the Gassers.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
I looked it up. They came standard on the F 250, 350, 450, 550, 1999 Powertroke XL and XLT.

You can still get them if you look under 99 Ford OEM Parts Catalog $30 ea.

They were discontinued in 99.5. The Trton Badge replaced them on the Gassers.
Thank you! I was considering replacing those due to fading....but that is steep.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
I'm very satisfied with the DDM HIDs in my sig. But like you said there's more to it than just slapping them in. An RF choke is necessary on my setup with the DP Tuner F5 otherwise it stalled when switching tunes. I used 3, I want overkill in this area. The headlight aim needed to be adjusted since the HID light source is located differently than the OE halogens. Just down a turn did it for mine, and no more annoyed oncoming traffic. The inline fuse holder that came with the kit got a little melted so I replaced it with a higher quality fuse holder. Used the same fuse, just changed the holder. But the system has never failed in 5 years of use. OTOH I put the same system in my wife's Subaru and it up and died after 2 years.

OE lenses are best quality, but mine were crazed so I got cheap internet stuff. One brand was Tyco which had a lousy light pattern, the other Depot and much tighter, better quality item.

The complaints about light pattern are overblown IMHO. The pattern is plenty tight enough to aim it, and there's so much more light that the niceties of the pattern just don't matter.

Since you have the GOS harness already the 05 housing and decent bulbs would also be a good setup, with OE reliability and easy on the road lamp replacement.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Well I don't think I am going to be much help as far as what works.
I remember seeing you post those pictures when I did the search for headlights. With all the stuff is out there I would say that knowing what doesn't work is just as important so I appreciate you chiming in. I do like the look of the those lights though!

I'm along for the ride....if that is ok
Glad to have you. At least I won't feel as much a fool if I'm not alone in my naivety.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
https://www.superbrightleds.com/
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html

The top link will be useful to some. It will confirm what you already know for the most part. He is not a fan of HID. Just FYI

The next two "supposedly" have solutions for some of the design flaws in the first iterations of LED's. LED's do still build heat just not as much

The last is self explanatory and is from some who are ahead of us.....
Thanks for posting the links. I've perused most of it at one time or another but it is nice to have it in one place to re-read.

These pictures were take approximately 100' at 36".
Those look great. The more I read everybody's posts and see all the options again the 80W/100W might be an option on the table. I do like the single unit design of the '05 style (there's an aftermarket single unit for the '99-'04 as well). At my truck's age the headlight and turn/marker light assemblies don't line up so well any more...

Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Since you have the GOS harness already the 05 housing and decent bulbs would also be a good setup, with OE reliability and easy on the road lamp replacement.
I completely agree. I just double-checked Clay's (Riffraff Diesel) prices and realized I've been looking at the wrong prices. I'm still not interested in cutting up the header (although I know it's more time consuming than difficult) but I also thought I'd have to shell out over $600 to go the OEM route. I was looking at the Harley lights. Going the regular chrome lights would only be about $330 for both lights and the conversion harness. So far that might be my best route with mixed views on HID.

If I stay with halogen lights my concern is bulb life. I've had Silverstar Ultras and replace 1 or 2 a year (brighter burns hotter and dies sooner). I've read some about Silverstar zXe but don't know of anybody with any real world experience with them. They rank just below the Ultra bulb and, according to Sylvania's website, and are the whitest light with a proprietary xenon/halogen design. I would want to strike a balance between output and life. I want better than basement stock from O'Reileys but I don't think I want to go the Ultra route again with the shorter life.

Thanks for stirring that pot again for me!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
Brian,

It might cost you a little more but going with a new set of OEM lights would be the best bet IMHO. I have seen several "after-market" lights that were just cheap junk compared to the OEM set. If you have a set of driving lights above the front plate, put a set of 9005 bulbs in there and that will greatly improve the view while driving at night. HID's may just lead to issues with the local PD in San Diego. While many argue that HID's are not a problem and as long as you stay away from the blue color you will be fine......

"Consumers should instead look to a federal regulation, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, which specifically discusses headlight systems. Under the standard, all replacement headlamps must be able to utilize a vehicle's existing light source. NHTSA advises. So why not just change the light source from a regular halogen system to one that works with xenon or HID lights? Because doing so likely violates a federal law, 49 U.S.C. 30122, which prohibits a mechanic from rendering inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, NHTSA says. In short, "NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with ... FMVSS No. 108," according to SEMA, the aftermarket trade group. Of special concern is that "HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists." Many state laws defer to these federal standards. That gives law enforcement the power to stop and issue citations for vehicles they believe contain illegal aftermarket xenon or HID lamps".

Basically, if its a new vehicle that was manufactured with them its ok but for our trucks not so much. Not that people really care but its just something to think about and be aware of if you decide to go the HID route.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
If you have a set of driving lights above the front plate, put a set of 9005 bulbs in there and that will greatly improve the view while driving at night.
Good call on the 9005. That hasn't been mentioned yet but is very popular. I did that when I installed the GOS harness (what your knuckles on those cooling fins!). What a difference that made for short distance illumination!

Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
Because doing so likely violates a federal law, 49 U.S.C. 30122, which prohibits a mechanic from rendering inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, NHTSA says. In short, "NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with ... FMVSS No. 108," according to SEMA, the aftermarket trade group.
You are exactly right. I was so focused on the increased wattage and the blue light that I glazed right over converting the OEM halogen system. 20 years ago I would buck the system but I am more interested in playing within the rules (and not overloading my ancient electrical system). Looks like I might be heading for chopping up the header. Reps sent!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
Just keeping it real in the mess...
HMC (Ret)

Quick Reply: I Could Really Use Some Feedback on Headlight Options...