1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 King Ranch with 5.4L Full Battery but No Start! UPDATE: Bad Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 King Ranch with 5.4L Full Battery but No Start! UPDATE: Bad Starter

UPDATE: Bad Starter - Getting one from junkyard for $35 vs. $175 brand new or $150 remanufactured...

I see there is another thread, but his seemed fuel pump related (?) and mine is a different issue!

Drove it for hours yesterday. It sat overnight. In the morning I turn the key and I get the "click" but no starting sound, just a click.

I thought maybe it was a bad battery and connected cables...Nothing, just click. Battery is 100%, lights work, dash lights up, etc.

I attempted to eye the fuses both under hood and under steering wheel and they looked in tact.

What fuses/relays are starter-related? My cousin doesn't think the starter would just magically go to nothing, it would be intermittent, so it must be a loose connection or blown fuse/relay (I did spray the ice off in the wheel wells the same day)....

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Found a diagram on this forum here

I think #21 (under the steering wheel) is probably the best bet right now...Gonna recheck:

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Not fuse #21...

Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM
carguy94
Senior User
you need a volt meter and a test light to check for power down at the starter and to the relay. how do you know the battery connections are good just because the lights work does not mean they can carry enough current to crank the engine

Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM
westnlas
New User
You have several relays in the engine control box. I would take the starter relay and swap it with one of the others and see if that corrects it. I have a 2002 Ranger 3.0 that has had some electrical problems. Non shift was caused by a burnt out turn signal bulb. (I know, but there is a common fuse in the trans circuit and turn signals, go figure) Dead battery was caused by A/C relay failure allow power to clutch with switch off. A bad relay will get you every time

Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
I crawled underneath and touched the wires connected to the starter. They all seemed tight. Keep in mind this is the first time I've looked at a starter so I don't really know what I'm doing.

Which relays should I swap? Underneath the steering wheel or under the hood and which ones? Trying to find a diagram now...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Likely the brushes in the starter have hung up from wear and being worn short.
There are no relays in the fuse box for the starter.
Good luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
I am showing this as the map of fuse box under hood:

When I look at the labels none of the relays seem starter-related? They are 206 to 306 here:

These are the relays underneath the steering wheel, and none seem to relate to starter?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Likely the brushes in the starter have hung up from wear and being worn short.
There are no relays in the fuse box for the starter.
Good luck.
Is it likely (or possible) that it would start fine everytime. And then randomly one morning you get a click and starter overnight is blown?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
My brother recommended taking a hammer and smacking the starter a few times to see if I can knock some sense into it.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:36 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Another question: Could a full battery not start (and not attempt to start - just a click like it is dead) if there were not enough cold-cranking amps?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Follow closely.
There are NO relays in the fuse box that control the start circuit.
Why? As you go to cranking, the ignition switch supplies power to the start solenoid on the fire wall through the transmission switch in either Neutral or Park position.
Since you hear the start solenoid click, this circuit is good.
When the start solenoid closes it's heavy internal contacts, power is passed from the battery to the starter on the heavy cables.
In the starter, another solenoid is activated to move the starter gear outward to engage the flywheel as well as run the starter motor.
Now ask yourself from this, is the starter getting power or not?
Is the starter possibly faulty?
What else would you suspect except the cable between the start solenoid and the starter or it's connections?
Good luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Cousin crawled underneath with a screwdriver and a hammer.

It started and then wouldn't start after pulling key back out. Def the starter! We have all the bolts off (accessed from underneath) except the one on the top middle of the starter, which we suspect is the last one. We will probably have to take the tire off and the fender lining to access it, not sure though...

Found one used for $35 out of a 2006 Navigator (junk yard down the street) or $150 brand new. Gonna save a few bucks I think!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM
carguy94
Senior User
what I referred to as the relay is what you called the solenoid but you CAN NOT just look at a battery connection and say its ok starters need heavy current flow in order to work that means a good power and a good ground. also be sure the engine is not mechanically bound because if you cant turn it with a wrench then the starter cant either its doubtful but check anyway the starter probably is bad but just a few things to think about when diagnosing the issue

Old 02-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
To access the top bolt, you need a long extension about 18 inches. Set the socket well on the bolt head to avoid rounding it.
On the starter, a used one may have limited life as well so always expect the used one might give up sometime and not be surprised.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2001 King Ranch with 5.4L Full Battery but No Start! UPDATE: Bad Starter