Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Lost speedo, odometer, stuck in 5th, no power and airbag light...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Lost speedo, odometer, stuck in 5th, no power and airbag light...

Just hasn't been my luck lately guys. Last night was around 4ºF out, taking a left at an intersection and lost power. Though it might be the TC kicking in as it was a bit icy out, but no indication of that on the dash. Then the "service engine" wrench showed up for a second on the display. This was followed by the airbag light turning on, and the truck going into some kind of limp mode. The speedo indicated "0 MPH" though I was running about 2k RPMs in 5th. My display showed this:

I couldn't force a downshift with the throttle, or get one from manual mode. I slowed down and pulled over at a safe place, shut the truck off and restarted. Hasn't happened since then. This happen to anyone else?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
IIRC, I saw a post about this, they indicated it was a speed sensor issue.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 AM
j_schmidt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop i use to work for we had a windstar come in with the same issue its an anti theft issue. Pretty sure you gotta get your keys re programed and use a special scan tool to clear the issue. Or there might be a "code" you use where if im not mistaken you disconnect the battery for 30 sec then lock your doors with the key fob then unlock them with the actual key, turn the vehicle to start wait 30 sec then turn it over. Sorry its been a while since I've done it. Hope it gets worked out

Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
UPDATE

Happened again this weekend. This time, It would start in 1st from a stop then after a "clunk" jump to 5th and not downshift

A power cycle didn't work this time. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 30 min. Reconnected and same problem. Manual shift mode was not available after it has shifted to 5th. I tried starting the truck and immediately put it in manual shift mode. Was able to get it home and let sit with battery disconnected over night. Truck is shifting OK today.

Looks like TSB 13-06-08 covers the problem: http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb13-06-08.pdf

It appears that it may or may not store codes. This will be a difficult one to replicate for the dealer as it happens randomly.

Will also need to find a shop that I trust to do the work, as the trans needs to be opened up. Procedure here: http://juchems.com/ServiceManuals/vi...%20Control.pdf

Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Alright well it just happened again at lunch. This time the check engine stayed. Going to bring it into the dealer this afternoon. Here is a pic of the instrument cluster from a stop. Notice 5th gear engagement, check engine light and "service wrench". Mileage, avg fuel economy shown as "-------". Going to manual, or trying 1 or 2 on the column would not force a downshift.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Ok, so dealer checked codes and pulled P0720 and P0722. Wanted to replace the speed sensor. I "nicely" asked the to check TSBs, specifically 13-6-8. They agreed to change out the molded leadframe since the TSB covered my exact problems. They didn't have a loaner, so I'm dropping it off tomorrow as they have the part on stock and they will give me a lift to work. Sorry for all updates just want a trail for someone else to follow if they have this issue too.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Robb sorry to hear of your misfortune as of late. Thanks for the heads up though. And even though it's a bit of an inconvenience at least the dealer is willing to work with your resolve your issue. It seems as though so many them want to just give the vehicle owners a run around and not fix the issue until the vehicle is out of warranty.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks Alex. Just happy that the shop agreed with me on the TSB. I really don't want to take it in multiple times. I hate to be "that guy" that tells them how to do their job, but the TSB describes my problem EXACTLY and it threw the same codes. I talked to the shop foreman and apologized for being a persistent pain in the rear.

They were able to get me in first thing the morning. They were able to hook me up with a loaner. Driving this rig today:

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Thanks Alex. Just happy that the shop agreed with me on the TSB. I really don't want to take it in multiple times. I hate to be "that guy" that tells them how to do their job, but the TSB describes my problem EXACTLY and it threw the same codes. I talked to the shop foreman and apologized for being a persistent pain in the rear.

They were able to get me in first thing the morning. They were able to hook me up with a loaner...
It looks like you're in good hands at your dealership, Robb, but if you need any assistance from my neck of the woods, just let me know. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FordService
It looks like you're in good hands at your dealership, Robb, but if you need any assistance from my neck of the woods, just let me know. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal
Thank you Crystal! I will keep you posted. Current mileage is 22,XXX.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Ok guys, last update of the day. Got my truck back this afternoon. Everything seems OK, but this was an intermittend problem to begin with. I will keep this thread updated if anything comes up. There was an updated part number for the molded leadframe, so that's what was installed. Here is a pic of the slip:

A quick shout out to Branford CT Ford for dealing with a particular PITA customer (I don't like anyone working on my truck), having a loaner available, and turning it around in a day. They were very professional.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:02 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck with the repair. Hopefully that did fix your problem. And hey no shame in that loaner vehicle for the day. It could have been a lot worse. Like say an Aveo or Cobalt that a salesman gave too much value for a trade in.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks again Alex! Hoping so too. No shame at all in the loaner, just happy to have one! I would have taken a powered skateboard if they had one available.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
...A quick shout out to Branford CT Ford for dealing with a particular PITA customer (I don't like anyone working on my truck), having a loaner available, and turning it around in a day. They were very professional.
This is the kind of experience that I love to hear about, Robb! If you'd like, I can document your feedback in our system. Just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any details you'd like included. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Robb sorry to hear about your issues my friend! Glad they got you all fixed up and back on the road. Hope that resolves your issue.

Quick Reply: Lost speedo, odometer, stuck in 5th, no power and airbag light...