6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Another oil cooler thread-deltas really matter with egr delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another oil cooler thread-deltas really matter with egr delete?

Yup-starting a new oil cooler thread.
I was doing some research on ipr's "upgraded" oil cooler-which I said it WILL increase your deltas to 25-30 degree spread but a 220-230 degree eot is fine.

Same thread also said that the main reason ford put the 15 degree spread in the first place was because that was when the cooler showed signs of clogging and thus limiting the amount of coolant flowing through the egr...causing egr failure.

Now-for those of us (including me) who have the egr deleted-do these large oil spreads mean we have to replace the oil cooler still?
What other ill effect (besides killing the egr-which is deleted) does running with a clogged oil cooler have? (Besides if its clogged enough to reach eot of 253 degrees to defuel the engine)

And to add-my current ect is 190-192 and eot was 225-235

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nitrodude
What other ill effect (besides killing the egr-which is deleted) does running with a clogged oil cooler have? (Besides if its clogged enough to reach eot of 253 degrees to defuel the engine)

And to add-my current ect is 190-192 and eot was 225-235
A clogged oil cooler can rupture, sending motor oil throughout the cooling system.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
A clogged oil cooler can rupture, sending oil throughout the cooling system.
I'm aware of that-but read the rupture from super Heating melting solder joints?

I don't think 230-240 Should melt those joints?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
A clogged up cooler is a clogged up cooler,it's only common sense.It's not doing it's job........Flush and replace it!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
I understand its not working as efficiently as it could be and should be replaced-but is it as big of a deal as every one makes it out to be?

I mean-its not a cheap repair, and my current game plan is to get an ipr coolant filter, run it for a month or two then pay someone to replace my oil cooler with a new ford oem one. But if its something that can be driven on for a while with no ill effect, then I don't have to rush to replace it and dish out over $1k to get it done.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Would you rather dish out a grand or 12 grand that is the question........your playing Russian roulette.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Would you rather dish out a grand or 12 grand that is the question........your playing Russian roulette.
That doesn't answer my question-that saying something catastrophic will happen but WHAT? And WHY?

Engine oil is rated at much higher temps then 230, no egr to crack and make coolant puke, what else would fail or break due to a clogged oil cooler? That's my question.

Like I said-I have full intentions on getting it replaced-just curious why everyone makes it out to be a huge deal when I don't see the danger in it. Hell most people without gauge have no idea anythings wrong and are running hotter then my oil temps.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know the number, but there's a certain temperature at which plastic things in your engine (like the oil filter housing) start to melt, distributing melted plastic all through the oil system. That would be very bad. People change it before they get to this point if they know there's an issue with the oil cooler.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Oil and water don't mix to well,matter of fact it makes a big mess in the engine and if you don't know it's blown and driving down the road with it, will destroy the mill.....got the picture?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
The truck goes into limp mode at around 250* oil temp.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Oil and water don't mix to well,matter of fact it makes a big mess in the engine and if you don't know it's blown and driving down the road with it, will destroy the mill.....got the picture?

Again....I completely understand what happens when an oil cooler ruptures.

I DONT understand how one would rupture from a delta over 15 degree...
Sorry I'm not trying to be stubborn just trying to grasp how these deltas are that big of a deal without an egr (with an egr I completely understand-loss of coolant flow to egr causes overheat causes crackin leads to puking.)

Mattdoc-from what I've read that happens at 350+ degrees-

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
You miss read that one ,limp mode saves itself (or the driver) from self destruction, it may not break open right away but it will,and when it does it's a mess to clean out. Bearing are then in jeopardy of being damaged ect. Hey but it's your truck ,your money. I can only give good advise and suggest you catch it with early warnings

Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Okay like I keep repeatedly saying..I understand it IS an issue and NEEDS to be replaced and it WILL be done.

And I understand what people SAY will happen and what COULD happen.
I want to know HOW and WHY.
I don't know how to phrase that any clearer to get the answers I'm looking for...

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Heat and a weak point in the cooler,pressure from the cooling system with all the crap in the cooling system wearing away at the metal in the cooler. The only reason it would cog up is it wasn't maintained PROPERLY.....................and thats the facts jack!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User
Heat and a weak point in the cooler,pressure from the cooling system with all the crap in the cooling system wearing away at the metal in the cooler. The only reason it would cog up is it wasn't maintained PROPERLY.....................and thats the facts jack!
Thank you that's the answers I'm looking for!
The heat-I don't think 230-240 or even 250 should cause an issue

Cooling system pressure-again not sure this would cause an issue unless there was substantially more pressure in your system then there should be.

Now crap in the system "sandblasting" the oil cooler down to make it thin and then rupturing-that makes sense!

Just trying to get more of an idea how these things fail and how much longer I can run it (I'd like to get a couple more months out of it to use the coolant filter to get all the junk out of my cooling system prior to a new oem oil cooler getting installed)

Quick Reply: Another oil cooler thread-deltas really matter with egr delete?