1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

37" tire on a stock height F350

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:54 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
37" tire on a stock height F350

So I know this will probably get criticized pretty hard but I thought I would ask since I have never tried it or seen it done before either. I picked up a cherry set of H1 wheels on a set of NANKANG 37x12.50x16.5s. I had no use for the tires and simply wanted the rims. I am trying to sell of the tires cheap currently, but was curious if they would work on a stock height f350 with an add a leaf up front. I honestly considered running them for winter tires. I doubt it but am still going to toss em on the truck to see, heck maybe for a picture and that is it. Just thought I would ask first.

I read about the trimming the bumper for 35s, I have built my own bumper and am more so worried about a touching a fender. I will grab a fender long before the bumper.

I would not tow with the truck at all with this set of tires, simply run them for snows for a few month out of the year as I hate wasting things. I have a spare set of tires and wheels I normally swap out.

Just thought I would ask... I sure wish I had the cash to just drop a rsk up front, but currently the tranny is being rebuilt, new clutch, s366 and the list goes on...I'm broke on truck parts right now ;-) Maybe next winter.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I doubt seriously that they'll clear. I had a set of 35x12.5s I tried running on mine once and they got into the bumper real fast. I thought I had pics of this, but apparently I don't. I'm imagining another 2" would make it even worse. It would look cool to see you try it, though!

Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I doubt seriously that they'll clear. I had a set of 35x12.5s I tried running on mine once and they got into the bumper real fast. I thought I had pics of this, but apparently I don't. I'm imagining another 2" would make it even worse. It would look cool to see you try it, though!
Well I guess since many have not tried it before. I am going to just have to do it now :-0 At least mount them up and flex the front end hard and see. (Since the front end of a 350 and add a leaf will flex a bunch :-)) Not Worried about the rear.

I doubt I hit my bumper, I'm curious if the fender will touch at full lock and tuck, but It would be cool if they stuff in there for a few months out of the year. I always like filled wheel well looks on stock height trucks.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I roll 37x12.5s on my stock height F350. Depends on axle and backspacing, I'm kingpin and I think they are a couple inches wider then the ball joint version, and of course H1 wheels have an extreme backspacing. To make them clear I took about an inch off the stock bumper when I had a stock bumper, and about 2" off the back of the fender. In a triangular-ish curved sliver of course, 2" is the distance at the base.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I roll 37x12.5s on my stock height F350. Depends on axle and backspacing, I'm kingpin and I think they are a couple inches wider then the ball joint version, and of course H1 wheels have an extreme backspacing. To make them clear I took about an inch off the stock bumper when I had a stock bumper, and about 2" off the back of the fender. In a triangular-ish curved sliver of course, 2" is the distance at the base.
Well you are the first to let me know on the backspacing...I hope I didn't just eff myself over on that. Just researched and read stock is 7" on the hummer. I am going to to measure them tonight. They are not the stock beadlocks, but now you have me curious, and really hoping I don't regret this purchase. I will probably sell them instead of buying spacers...uhhhh

Surprised you had to cut the rear fender... I will not cut them now as I spent a lot of time stitching in patch panels and smoothing out to fix that sucker :-)

All good information!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well you are the first to let me know on the backspacing...I hope I didn't just eff myself over on that. Just researched and read stock is 7" on the hummer. I am going to to measure them tonight. They are not the stock beadlocks, but now you have me curious, and really hoping I don't regret this purchase. I will probably sell them instead of buying spacers...uhhhh

Surprised you had to cut the rear fender... I will not cut them now as I spent a lot of time stitching in patch panels and smoothing out to fix that sucker :-)

All good information!
H1 wheels have enough backspacing that the lug nuts are about even with the tire bead. I have a set of the military double bead-lock version. If civilian H1 it still has the same extreme backspacing. Won't work on a Ford without spacers.

I didn't cut the rear fender at all, cut the back edge of the front fender opening. Tires fit perfect in back, front is just all about room for turning, fit fine without trimming if you only go straight. Travel is perfect, when one side is at full drop and the other on the bump-stop the tire is snugged up in there perfect without rubbing. At full lock mine do rub the leaf spring just a touch though.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:41 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ditto on the hummer rim's backspacing being too little. I hear a 2" spacer makes them work though.

Here are 37" on a 9.75" wide rim with about 4.5" of back spacing. D60, stock springs plus some sort of extra leaf. Shock length about 18-1/2 bolt to bolt.

Didn't rub anything, fenders or leafs. But no way they would have cleared a stock or untrimmed bumper.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:52 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Ditto on the hummer rim's backspacing being too little. I hear a 2" spacer makes them work though.

Here are 37" on a 9.75" wide rim with about 4.5" of back spacing. D60, stock springs plus some sort of extra leaf. Shock length about 18-1/2 bolt to bolt.

Didn't rub anything, fenders or leafs. But no way they would have cleared a stock or untrimmed bumper.

Well that sure looks good. Same thing I have up front , stock springs with an add a leaf. I have a feeling my front sags a bit more than yours though due to my bumper and winch weight.

Well I will see when I get home if my parade was rained on after I measure them out. The wheels were MT classics. I guess I'd still be ahead by quite a bit on the wheels even if I had to buy spacers after looking at the cost online. Paid 300 for the tires and wheels. I just thought it would be a great option to run military takeoffs if I ever wanted to. Now I am seeing why I got such a great deal on them...read the darn hub opening may be too small as well... jebus I thought I found the deal of the century..... nope.

Impulse buy... I never do it, and the few times when I do....

Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
H1 wheels have enough backspacing that the lug nuts are about even with the tire bead. I have a set of the military double bead-lock version. If civilian H1 it still has the same extreme backspacing. Won't work on a Ford without spacers.

I didn't cut the rear fender at all, cut the back edge of the front fender opening. Tires fit perfect in back, front is just all about room for turning, fit fine without trimming if you only go straight. Travel is perfect, when one side is at full drop and the other on the bump-stop the tire is snugged up in there perfect without rubbing. At full lock mine do rub the leaf spring just a touch though.
Understood. Civilians are the same so I may SOL. I will say the lugs were not near that far out, but I will only know when I get home tonight....and measure.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
So the wheels you bought are 16.5s? HMMWV (Hummer) military takeoffs are 16.5 but I thought the civilian stuff was 17"?

If being able to use a 16.5" tire is the goal there are A LOT of decent 16.5" wheels out there off Fords cheap.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
So the wheels you bought are 16.5s? HMMWV (Hummer) military takeoffs are 16.5 but I thought the civilian stuff was 17"?

If being able to use a 16.5" tire is the goal there are A LOT of decent 16.5" wheels out there off Fords cheap.
Rims are a 16.5s, They were aftermarket MT Classic wheels on a civilian Hummer with Military takeoffs. They are non beadlocks.

The guy swapped over to 24 bolt beadlocks and run flats. Rig was a street queen but it did look good...

Sorry if I was unclear.

When I said civilian hummers are the same. I meant the stock wheel backspacing. That is only to the best of my knowledge that acquired from reading the net over the last hour.... And I feel like an idiot after buying these on a whim now

Old 02-02-2015, 03:11 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There's a lot of emotion and opinions about running the 16.5s on the street. I say do your research and do what you feel comfortable with. I did my research and will do what I feel comfortable with.

I would imagine that a decent machinist could open up the center hole. But...

From the factory, i believe the rims are hub centric, meaning a good amount of the load is carried where the rim and the hub meet, and not completely by the lug bolts themselves.

Many aftermarket rims I see have a hole too big to be this way.

The rims in my pics have a hole too big. The center caps push through the backside of the hole.

Again, some research will lead you to your own conclusion.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:17 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I roll 16.5s, I see no issue with them, just don't be a negligent moron.

I don't see it worth it to open up the hole, IMO it's not worth it for him to try and use those wheels. A decent set of 4 used aluminum 16.5" wheels can be had in the $100 area. Can take off the good tires, sell the H1 wheels, buy a set of proper wheels, mount those tires, and come out ahead.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by LeoJr
There's a lot of emotion and opinions about running the 16.5s on the street. I say do your research and do what you feel comfortable with. I did my research and will do what I feel comfortable with.

I would imagine that a decent machinist could open up the center hole. But...

From the factory, i believe the rims are hub centric, meaning a good amount of the load is carried where the rim and the hub meet, and not completely by the lug bolts themselves.

Many aftermarket rims I see have a hole too big to be this way.

The rims in my pics have a hole too big. The center caps push through the backside of the hole.

Again, some research will lead you to your own conclusion.

Understood. I was well aware of the 5* vs 15* taper before I bought them. I also know some are hub/lug centric. Seems most aftermarket wheels these day are all lug centric. Well I will see what I find out tonight.... Otherwise these may just go back up for sale.

I do like the 16.5 for running military takeoffs. I see them pop up quite often around here since we have about 8 bases in a 60 mile radius. Wish I saw more of the m show up though... seems they are harder and harder to find.

In the future the truck will get an RSk, only after I lift the race trailer it hauls.... I'm just a cheap azz, and thought this may have been a good route.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fwiw, ive run these 37s w no issues, you may find those MT rims work just fine too. Ive seen many a chevy owner running incorrect backspacing (rims that that were meant for a solid axle truck ie 3.5-4" of bs) successfully w no issues. Im curious to find out what you come up with. Ive never seen someone run 37x12.5s with a relitively narrow rim get into the rear of the front quarter, seems like its always the bumper thats an issue and youve got that covered. If you want to move your front axle slightly fwd ive run these zero rates with great success. Add a Leafs, Zero Rate for 4x4 Suspensions from Offroad Design
I did an add a leaf in the rear to level it out or you can do a slightly larger block. Be aware when buying those hummer take offs of swirling patterns on the sidewalls this is an indication of being run flat, they may hold air but personally id cull through untill i found 4 nice ones... Fwiw i ran 4 hubcentric wheel centric 3" spacers and h1 12 bolts (7" bs) on my v30 w no issues at all, often the truck saw highway duty @80/85mph. I torqued to the proper specs the first time and rechecked after a couple hundred miles they were good; periodically id check them w no problem found. I did two too but just a bevertail with a car several times, nothing incredably heavy...

Quick Reply: 37" tire on a stock height F350