2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking engine at 1100 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Robbe1208
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking engine at 1100 RPM

I have a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 . I got a new transmission put in and a Oil change shortly after. A few weeks later I got a knocking noise. No check engine light, starts up great, No real notable problems just the noise. At Idle no noise just the usual cam phaser ticking, but once the engine is warmed up at about 1100 RPM it starts knocking like a . I took it to a few different shops one was sure it was the timing area so they replaced the timing chain, tensioner, pully. ect. Took it to a ford dealer where he didn't really look at it just said you need a new engine. went to another ford dealer where they said rod knock or stuck lifter but if that were the case shouldn't it knock constantly? another shop said VCT soleinods, Spark plugs. another said it could be the flex plate! so all in all I paid a bunch of money for people to look at it to have them say they don't know but a whole bunch of suggestions have led be to be confused as to just buy a new engine or have a go at the other things. I'm aware of the cam phaser diesel ticking noise they notoriously have but thats not it. Has anyone else had this problem? I've parked it for a few years to be safe but started it weekly. I didn't intend on having it sit for so long but due to work situations and what not it has sat but now I'm on a mission to make it my daily driver again. I'm no mechanic but I'm not totally green to vehicle mechanics so ill be inspecting what i can within my limits, any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also I have two youtube videos posted of it If anyone is willing to have a listen and tell me what you think.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Think I'd put a manual oil pressure gauge on it and I would also pull the suspected valve cover. Also what oil filter did they use and did they put 5w20 oil back in?

Maybe start off with an oil change motorcraft filter and 5w20 oil

Old 02-02-2015, 06:52 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does not sound like a rod to me. I could believe the flex plate since we know that was touched with the trans work. Now I've never heard a flex plate make noise, but I suppose anything is possible. You'll have to be under the truck with a stethoscope. If its the flex plate, it should really be loud up by the bell housing. How about going down the road? Does it still rattle the same with a load on the trans?
A rod or main bearing is going to clatter like hell under a load at all RPM. Yours is coming and going. I just don't believe its a rod.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
It occurred to me that I have heard of this before, from a loose bolt in the flex plate. I guess I'd rather have that than a bad bearing in the engine. Hope you can figure it out soon.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Robbe1208
New User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Think I'd put a manual oil pressure gauge on it and I would also pull the suspected valve cover. Also what oil filter did they use and did they put 5w20 oil back in?

Maybe start off with an oil change motorcraft filter and 5w20 oil
Thanks. I have checked the oil pressure and its good, They have used the motorcraft filters and 5w20 oil

Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Robbe1208
New User
Originally Posted by 1saxman
It occurred to me that I have heard of this before, from a loose bolt in the flex plate. I guess I'd rather have that than a bad bearing in the engine. Hope you can figure it out soon.
Thanks for the Input.
I've had the starter and alternator changed and it changed nothing.
I'm leaning towards the Torque converter / Flex plate area since it happened shortly after getting a new transmission I have a feeling it might have something to do with it.
I'm going to start there once the weather warms up a little.
I tried to check the bolts on the flex plate but how its set up I cant get a bite unless I pull the trans and everything apart to get at it.
I recorded a little video of where its loudest and defiantly at the Converter, Once I pulled the rubber plugs and the inspection plate off its louder so that's why I'm leaning that way.
I priced out a new Converter from a Ford dealer ship and they were asking $560, + $100 back with the core and the Flex plate $345, Called Kingsway auto parts and they want $138 with the old core and Flex Plate $48 It's amazing how much of a difference it is with dealership prices.
The way I see it a couple hundred bucks appose to a couple grand for a new engine its worth a shot!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Speedjester
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would lean towards a cracked or loose flywheel.... (Rod knock will not disappear.). Did they change the bolts on the flywheel?..I'm pretty sure there single use bolts....keep an eye on it.. A loose flywheel can do a lot of damage when and if it decides to leave the barn..

Old 02-06-2015, 02:45 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
I'd go back to who put the trans in and ask them why the flywheel/flex plate is raising Hell.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Robbe1208
New User
So I called the place that did my transmission to make sure they put the right transmission in which is 4-Automatic (4R75W) and today I dropped the transmission to check the flex plate which looks ok, I got a new one for 50$ from Kingsway auto so I will probably replace it anyways also the Torque converter says right on It 4R70W since its late sunday and holiday monday nothing is open to get it confirmed but does anyone have any input as to why they would have a 4R70W converter in a supposedly 4R75W Transmission? I'm going to go to Ford with the numbers on the tranny to make sure its the right transmission since the converter doesn't add up

Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Robbe1208
New User
A little update I swapped out the Flex plate even though it looked ok and torque converter the noise was still there and I damaged a 120$ sensor so had to replace that, after lots of reading and researching I've inspected the cams tensioners and pulleys and they all look ok, Removed the valve cover and inspected the rockerarms and rods lifters and everything looked ok there. Prior to the transmission work I had the noise but no Engine codes after the sensor got damaged I got 3 codes a P0010 Intake Camshaft position sensor actuator bank 1 where I changed out the VCT solenoid and the Camshaft sensor. P2106 Throttle actuator control sensor Where I swapped out the throttle body and the P0175 Input shaft speed sensor as I mentioned the transmission sensor I damaged swapped all those out cleared the codes and went for a drive and she drives quite nicely felt great but the noise is still there no codes came back. I plan on doing a exaust check when the weather cooperates. I was suggested it could be a Rod bearing or a terminal Main bearing. Anyone ever had this before? what are the symptoms? I would naturally think if it were main bearings it would be loud consistently and probably shake the **** outta the truck? I could be wrong. Ive tried alot of different things with no result with the noise!! at some point I got to give up and replace the engine but it would still be nice to know the root cause since the stealership wont give me a definitive cause other than replace the engine. I have no noticeable symptoms other than the noise so It's hard to convince me I need a new engine..But im getting close.. so overall review, Flexplate transmission new, Timing chains tensioners guides new, VCT (VVT) solenoid changed new. Input shaft sensor changed new, Throttle body New, Camphasers good, Fuel Injectors are all pumping, Spark Plugs are all firing, Rocker arms good. Manual Oil pressure test through the Oil sender by the Oil filter at hot idle was about 29 psi. Lol any input would be greeeattt!