6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 PM
longrange1971
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement?

Hi folks,
I was wondering if the PS Diesel Fuel Supplement was OK to run in the 6.7. I have a bottle of the Winterizer / Antigel (White Bottle) and was going to put it in tomorrow. Temps around here are supposed to be in the teens overnight for the next 8 out of 10 days. Just wanted to ask the experts before adding anything.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Absolutely...lots guys use their great products. I prefer optilube summer plus as I live in the south and rarely see temps below 20 deg. F. Summer plus Adds lube and lots of cetane boost.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:42 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've used the white and grey bottles for years. Since this particular brand is available just about everywhere it's the easiest solution for many of us.

I'm not an expert and I'm not convinced that using this brand is the best of what's available but I also believe it's not hurting anything and if it does what it says it does on the bottle I'm good to go. I don't use it for every tank, just maybe once every couple months or so.

I don't think anyone has ever found that using an additive makes any difference in engine performance or economy. I do think the anti gel properties are the only thing that we can prove to make a difference though.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I use the product. no issues.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Native Tex
Junior User
Originally Posted by Averill7
Absolutely...lots guys use their great products. I prefer optilube summer plus as I live in the south and rarely see temps below 20 deg. F. Summer plus Adds lube and lots of cetane boost.

Been using the AMSOIL products in my other diesels and my 6.7 as well. I just tried my first take with the OptiLude XPD beginning yesteray. Anxious to see if it is as good as they claim.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,961 Likes on 2,187 Posts
I use the gray bottle in the summer, white in the winter since I bought the truck. No issues and can buy it anywhere around here.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:34 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ted Nugent says it's good to go.

I use the gray stuff every tank for the last 80K miles anyway.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use it and I may be crazy but I think it kills my fuel mileage. I started out not using it this winter but after getting a "low fuel pressure" message on a 12* day I started using it.
Let us know if your MPGs drop.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I use the diesel fuel that comes out of any pump that says "diesel." I pull the lever on the handle and it fills my tank. Then I turn my key and drive the truck. Plow, tow 16k plus, and haul with it 80% of it's life from -27 to 110+. Never an issue. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
I use it and I may be crazy but I think it kills my fuel mileage. I started out not using it this winter but after getting a "low fuel pressure" message on a 12* day I started using it.
Let us know if your MPGs drop.
Could it be the winter fuel dropping mileage? That is normal.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I also use optilube xpd in every tank. I have noticed about a 1mpg increase. I am deleted so I think that helps. Ive heard additives can cause extra regens. So that may account for less mileage for the stock club.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Could it be the winter fuel dropping mileage? That is normal.
Well I started out the winter not using any additive and I feel like I got better MPGs. I only started using Power Service because I got a LFP warning. I don't dare stop using it to test my suspicion because this is my transport rig and I can't afford the down time of a simple fuel gell issue.
It may be like Unreal said and power service causing more regens.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,943 Likes on 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I use the diesel fuel that comes out of any pump that says "diesel." I pull the lever on the handle and it fills my tank. Then I turn my key and drive the truck. Plow, tow 16k plus, and haul with it 80% of it's life from -27 to 110+. Never an issue. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
My experience in Montana and surrounding areas.........

If all I use is #2 winter blend diesel.......I will get fuel gelling and filters plugged when the temps go below -10*F or so........No Fun. If I was to mix 50% #1 and 50% #2.....No problem. A little pricy. I use Stanadyne year round. I Use #2 fuel and the Stanadyne with no gelling. The lowest sustained temps I have driven the truck in is -34*F.......I use it also to help with lubrication since Ultra low sulfur diesel does not lub as well as diesel used to.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I have filled up with #2 at -1F before. Didn't want to but had no choice. Stuff was like glue.

I didn't have any problems though as I was on the road and burned it right away. I just kept the truck running so it would stay a liquid.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
Well I started out the winter not using any additive and I feel like I got better MPGs. I only started using Power Service because I got a LFP warning. I don't dare stop using it to test my suspicion because this is my transport rig and I can't afford the down time of a simple fuel gell issue.
It may be like Unreal said and power service causing more regens.
Good luck. I recall that driving it hard and pushing long mile trips was a stock 6.7 best cure for regen's. Sometimes that's not in the cards and you have to deal with the regens all the time. Good luck.

I saw a guy that added Power Service gray to his truck and then filled up with "Premium" Diesel. Premium Diesel is sold by Kwik Trip stations around here and is about $.20/gallon more and contains winter additives and lubricants already. The truck was a newer GMC Denalli and I asked him why both? His response was because he was getting regens all the time and he was trying to avoid it.

I suggested he switch to diesel #2 with his PS white for winter, gray for summer and use the correct amount. Or just use the premium diesel with no treatment. Over treating the fuel was (in my opinion) a strong possibility for the constant regens and also let him know that a diesel used to haul kids around and get groceries (driving around town) wasn't helping either. He said thanks (seemed genuine) and asked what was wrong with my truck. He said it stinks and is really loud. I told him why my truck stinks and why it sounds a bit louder and encouraged him to check out the duramaxx forums. He left with a pretty determined look on is face...I hope he does his homework

Quick Reply: Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement?