1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Starts for 2 secs then dies, Now With Video

Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starts for 2 secs then dies, Now With Video

Cranked it up to go to work this morning and barely made it out of the driveway. It started loping real hard and died in the road. It will restart and run clean for about 2 secs, then runs rough a sec or 2 then dies.
Tonight I changed the fuel filter and checked for water in fuel...None.
High pressure at shraeder valve almost makes 60 psi for the second or two that it runs clean before it dies. The dummy oil pressure gauge on the dash also jumps up when cranking. Tach is reading over 200 when cranking and at start goes up to about 800. The tin nut is on the IPR. My son bought me a ScanGaugeII for Christmas but I'm not able to get it to display much more than what the dash is already telling me. When the engine dies, the check engine light comes on and the ScanGauge says there are 77 stored codes but will not display them. I cycle the key and the CEL goes off and the SanGauge say there are NO stored codes.

What next?

I attached a pressure gauge to the head galley and decided to add some video to help show my problem.
Dis-regard the long crank times. That only started after I added the long pressure test gauge hose. I think the hose has a lot of air volume that needs to be compressed before pressure builds.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20006_1_1.mp4

Out of the blue it decided to run normal.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20005_1_1.mp4

The only difference here is that I decided to clean the oil out of the ICP connector and the problem returned. Possibly just coincidence.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20007_1_1.mp4

Last edited by killforfood; 01-28-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added Video
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 AM
williameub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but have you checked the oil level?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
I would try a new cps. Also I'm not sure how good the scan gauge 2 works on our trucks. Most of us use the scan gauge interceptor. Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 AM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by williameub
This may sound like a dumb question, but have you checked the oil level?
Nope, not a dumb question.
oil level is good. I keep a close eye on it because my oil cooler has begun to leak a little. I'll fix it as soon as the weather warms a bit. The question also reminded me that I need to check the HPOP oil reservior level.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 AM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
I would try a new cps. Also I'm not sure how good the scan gauge 2 works on our trucks. Most of us use the scan gauge interceptor. Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor
Added to the TO Do list.
I had my truck towed home twice because of bad Cam Position Sensors. Now I always keep a new gray one in the glove box.
I've had a total of 4 fail, 5 if you count the DOA one from Autozone.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Have you checked the wiring pigtail to the IPR? This caused my run/no start/run issue last summer.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:51 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Have you checked the wiring pigtail to the IPR? This caused my run/no start/run issue last summer.
The pigtail looked ok but it's hard to say just visually looking at it. I'm looking for info on ohm-ing out the engine harness. I did find a lot of oil inside the ICP (injector control pressure sensor) connector. I've read other threads that say leakadge here is a clear indication of sensor failure.

Other updates:
1. I replaced the CPS (cam position sensor) with a new one but saw no change.
2. I checked the HPOP reservior (high pressure oil pump) and noted that it is full.
3.I dis-connected the IPR solenoid (injector pressure regulator) and it caused a no start condition.

I'm going to make a trip to Brattain International Truck and get a new ICP sensor and an IPR rebuild kit (if they have one).

What else should I test/check?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
williameub
Senior User
Try starting the truck with your a ICP unplugged.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Added Video

I attached a pressure gauge to the head galley and decided to add some video to help show my problem.
Dis-regard the long crank times. That only started after I added the long pressure test gauge hose. I think the hose has a lot of air volume that needs to be compressed before pressure builds.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20006_1_1.mp4

Out of the blue it decided to run normal.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20005_1_1.mp4

The only difference here is that I decided to clean the oil out of the ICP connector and the problem returned. Possibly just coincidence.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...%20007_1_1.mp4

My home brew HPOP Test Gauge.

This is not a problem that I’ve had to deal with before, so I’m just guessing here.

1. The ICP sensor has failed (leaking oil) and is not sensing pressure in head galley. The ECM in turn sends a signal to the IPR to open the valve for more pressure.
2. The IPR is sticking allowing pressure to climb out of control.

The thing that I don’t understand is why either of these conditions would cause it to stumble and die.
I would really appreciate some advice about that.

I didn’t get out to buy the ICP sensor yet. I need to get that as well as an IPR O-ring kit.

one last P.S. William, yes I did try it with the ICP unplugged. It made no change. Would this indicate that it has failed and having no input or does it mean it's not related to the problem?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So with the ICP unplugged it won't start at all?

From the video I would say it sounds like you need a new IPR. The IPR is a dump valve that bypasses the HPO system with oil that is returned to the oil pan to lower system pressure. IPR closed = more pressure in the system. IPR open = Less pressure in the system. It sounds to me like the IPR is sticking shut and over pressurizing the system and then it stalls the engine.

The other alternative is that the injectors are cutting out for some reason and the IPR is still trying to increase pressure to inject more fuel and keep the engine running, but can't do so. It's a crap shot, I'd say. It's hard to tell if this HPO system issue you're seeing is the root cause or just a symptom.

A few more questions would be, where did you get the CPS you installed and have you checked the IDM for water or inspected the valve cover gasket pigtails for burned pins?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The other alternative is that the injectors are cutting out for some reason and the IPR is still trying to increase pressure to inject more fuel and keep the engine running, but can't do so.
That's what it was looking like to me. Esp. that last (or was it the scecond?) video, where it ran normally for a few seconds, normal injection pressure, then the performance went south as injection pressure shot way UP.

The other thing that MIGHT shed some light would be to get it on a data reader at the same time as the mechanical HPO gauge, and compare them. One other (just spitballin') possibility is with the ICP acting up, the PCM can't regulate injection pressure properly, and that's why it's pegging. If the "reported" injection pressure matches (roughly) the mechanical gauge when it spikes like that, then I'd say the ICP is okay, and there's something else, like what you described. But if the injection pressure reported by the PCM does NOT spike along with the mechanical gauge, that pretty clearly indicates ICP failure.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
^^ Agreed. You could also rule out or confirm the ICP sensor as the issue by unplugging it and trying to run the truck. Supposedly with no input from the ICP, the PCM makes a best guess estimate as to what the IPR should be doing and runs with that. If this is the case, and the ICP is the issue, then it may run normally with the ICP unplugged.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 AM
killforfood
Junior User
DIYMech / Madpogue
Thanks for the input. I'm doing this from my phone so please bear with me. To answer some of your questions.
1. With that ICP unplugged the symptoms did not change. It was leaking oil so I replaced it anyways.
2. With the IPR unplugged, I got a no start but I think that's normal. I pulled the IPR, it was clean inside no gunk buildup. I also checked the resistance of the coil. It was 10.3, spec is 10.1 to 10.5. I will install it after work tonight and try again.
3. The CPS that I installed is a gray colored Ford Motorcraft. I have not had any failure since I switched to the gray CPS from Ford.
4. Externally, the valve cover plugs look good but I haven't pulled them apart to check the actual contacts. I'll do that. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to repair them.

Question, what controls the IPR duty cycle, The PCM or the IDM?
If the ICP is good, what other parameter would cause a request for more pressure? What other parameter would cause a shutdown of the injectors? And why does it cackle along for a while? Is that just leaking injectors bleeding just enough fuel into the cylinders to keep it stumbling for a while?

I will update again after work tonight got to go thanks.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by killforfood
DIYMech / Madpogue
Thanks for the input. I'm doing this from my phone so please bear with me. To answer some of your questions.
1. With that ICP unplugged the symptoms did not change. It was leaking oil so I replaced it anyways.
2. With the IPR unplugged, I got a no start but I think that's normal. I pulled the IPR, it was clean inside no gunk buildup. I also checked the resistance of the coil. It was 10.3, spec is 10.1 to 10.5. I will install it after work tonight and try again.
3. The CPS that I installed is a gray colored Ford Motorcraft. I have not had any failure since I switched to the gray CPS from Ford.
4. Externally, the valve cover plugs look good but I haven't pulled them apart to check the actual contacts. I'll do that. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to repair them.

Question, what controls the IPR duty cycle, The PCM or the IDM?
If the ICP is good, what other parameter would cause a request for more pressure? What other parameter would cause a shutdown of the injectors? And why does it cackle along for a while? Is that just leaking injectors bleeding just enough fuel into the cylinders to keep it stumbling for a while?

I will update again after work tonight got to go thanks.
If unplugging the ICP doesn't help the issue, then I would look elsewhere (not the ICP) and you've confirmed that by replacing it while still seeing the same results.

IPR duty cycle is controlled by the PCM. The IDM is responsible for injectors and that's more or less it.

I'm confused by number 3 (in bold) above. Do you mean to say that since you installed the new CPS it hasn't failed (stalled) again?

At this point, as I see it, you can choose to go one of two ways with your diagnosis. One would be to swap out the IPR to eliminate that as a possible cause of this issue. The other would be to look at the electronics and try changing out some things to eliminate them as a cause. Again, it's a cause/effect debate now. Is the high HPO pressure the cause of the issue or just a symptom of it? In times like this, it would be really helpful to have a cache of spare parts to install.

My honest feeling at this point says that it is one of three things.
1- the IPR
2- The PCM itself
3- The IDM

You don't happen to have a leaky windshield do you?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Madpogue,
I was just commenting about the gray CPS's to say that they have a good track record with me but in this particular case it made no changes to the symptoms I still have a truck that doesn't run.
Funny you should mention leaky windshield. I do have a few cracks in mine and will need to do the water shake test to the IDM.
I know what you mean by spare parts. The price of new kills me but used is a total crapshoot. This last comment was directed towards purchasing used electronics like IDM's, CPM's and other electronics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starts for 2 secs then dies, Now With Video