Switching to a Holley 1848 465cfm. - Page 11 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Switching to a Holley 1848 465cfm.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc View Post
Back in the day it was rumored painting the intake manifold on a SBC black was good for 20 HP.
Fine if it's tuned well and better with a manual transmission than automatic.
Yeah, I never figured it would amount to much more than just helping me prevent against vapor lock. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc View Post
Oh, that new carb is pretty and all, but Edelbrock FTW.
The other that interested me is the Street Demon, which is based heavily on the Edelbrock design. I talked my brother into trying one on his 351w and he loves it. Unfortunately, the smallest they make is a 625cfm and I didn't feel like going with a big carb again.

Demon Fuel Systems -1901BK -625 Street Demon® - Shadow Black Ceramic Coated Finish w/ Black Composite Fuel Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy300 View Post
I must've missed this. I actually drove it normally yesterday for the first time. I like that it has a second metering block I dont know what its for but I like it since the throttle cable is finally opening my carb all the way now. It was actually the first time I took it out since I had it adjusted.
Yeah, I had a secondary metering block on my 465 and liked it. Interestingly, the QF carb has jets in the metering plate, so even though it doesn't have the whole block, you can still adjust it. I wonder what difference it makes going with one over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphammer View Post
Mine is shiny
That does look great. I remember reading you got one and it sounds like that's really working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
any coating on a metal surface would slow the cooling of it, im pretty sure thats a lie they are telling but it looks great anyhow.
Quick Fuel Black Diamond Series - Quick Fuel Technology

Their nomenclature simply says it's a protective coating and "good looks" . Blocks oil, grease, fuel, grime, etc. and acts as a mild heat barrier. 6% isn't a very big claim, so I imagine there's some validity to it. Dunno. If it helps, it helps. Also, I agree, looks pretty good.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Postmaster

fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post

Their nomenclature simply says it's a protective coating and "good looks" . Blocks oil, grease, fuel, grime, etc. and acts as a mild heat barrier. 6% isn't a very big claim, so I imagine there's some validity to it. Dunno. If it helps, it helps. Also, I agree, looks pretty good.

I always thought a black paint/coating would absorb more heat. I was always told dark colors absorb heat and light colors reflect more heat. Whether it does or doesn't block heat, the black does look good! I'm going to paint my Autolite 2100's black. If I can find a paint that won't be effected by the gas & heat.

Now that you've tried most of the 4V carbs. When are you going to start trying some multi-carb set ups???
Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
I always thought a black paint/coating would absorb more heat. I was always told dark colors absorb heat and light colors reflect more heat. Whether it does or doesn't block heat, the black does look good! I'm going to paint my Autolite 2100's black. If I can find a paint that won't be effected by the gas & heat.
I believe that is only the case when it comes to heat sources from light (such as the sun) since light colors reflect light away, whereas dark colors do not. When it's under the hood, it's irrelevant.

Quote:
Now that you've tried most of the 4V carbs. When are you going to start trying some multi-carb set ups???
Lol, I think that'd be really really fun to try. But if I ever went with something else, I think my next foray would be fuel injection with a MegaSquirt controller.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Post Fiend

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
The fuel injection looks stupid with all them wires though no matter the color
Old 02-27-2016, 02:45 AM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
I think we need to add one bit of info that AbandonedBronco omitted: He was dealing with a used carb, and any used carb might have orifices enlarged (drilled), or any number of non original mods that are not known but to a carb guru.

I have a new 1848 and love it, with zero problems, and run 57 primary jets with 67 secondary ones, and my engine loves it. I wanted to pass that along to all those who might read this thread and get the wrong idea about an 1848.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer View Post
I think we need to add one bit of info that AbandonedBronco omitted: He was dealing with a used carb, and any used carb might have orifices enlarged (drilled), or any number of non original mods that are not known but to a carb guru.

I have a new 1848 and love it, with zero problems, and run 57 primary jets with 67 secondary ones, and my engine loves it. I wanted to pass that along to all those who might read this thread and get the wrong idea about an 1848.
Oh absolutely. I tried to reiterate that earlier. I think the carb is fantastic and a near perfect fit for the engine. I loved mine. I just started having some problems specific to my particular carb and didn't feel like dealing with them, so used it as a good excuse to get the one I wanted. A Holley 465 should'a, would'a, could'a come stock on the 300.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Freshman User

xsn10s is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't wait to get a set up like this or close to it!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM
New User

mwm4.2tdi is starting off with a positive reputation.
300 6

so what else done to motor,apparently these go good with flat tops & small cam,2bbl.these are an excellent engine,better than v8.