Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo Wheel on Van Turbo in Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:09 PM
comadvan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Wheel on Van Turbo in Super Duty

What do you guys suggest for a Van Turbo? I have the Stock Super Duty wheel, the Wicked Wheel (obs wheel) and Clays 6/6 wheel. I love the 6/6 but it whistles way too much for me.. I haul a trailer 99% of the time and at 70 its at like 5psi and just enough to make me want to shoot my self sometimes..

Will the Stock SD wheel be ok? will I lose power over the 6/6? is the OBS wheel my best bet? Megawatt and I are installing it on Sunday and Id like to finish putting it together tomorrow night.

thanks!!!!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
You could go with one of these and a ported housing to move even more air and it is as quiet as the stock wheel.

Riffraff Diesel Billet Compressor Wheel - Ported Housing - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 01-23-2015, 06:59 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the WW on my van turbo for about 8 years. No problems or surge pulling our 31' 5th wheel. The stock wheel might be quieter though.

What intake do u have?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Tell Megawatt hi for me!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 PM
comadvan
Senior User
how was it power wise? I have three wheels to choose from.. My turbo spools fast but I dont think I have the fuel for it..

my truck dies on some hills with stock turbo, 6/6 wheel and 6637 pulling maybe 15k. Rte 28 in PA 12% grades im in Second gear climbing some of them.. rpms are 25-2700 rpm steady and still slow way the hell down..

but I do mostly highway towing the same weight, at 65 I have to down shift towing a caviler, at 71 I can pull a superduty over same hill and never change gears. its weird.. I feel like im blowing through the converter or slipping the trans but none of that is happening..

so ive had the turbo and going to pop it in.. its all nickle plated and powder coated.. so its pretty.. lol but i guess no one has used the new wheel in the van 1.15 turbo..

has anyone compared the ww to the new wheel?

Ill tell him.. Oh and im at 499993 for miles

Last edited by comadvan; 01-23-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Im a donkey
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM
sgarder
Senior User
I currently have Clay's 6/6 wheel. Yes it does start to whistle at 5psi boost. I also have the Ford AIS, so it is greatly muffled. The engine and exhaust drone are far worse than turbo whistle! I put this wheel in and rebuilt the turbo only to eliminate surge the factory wheel had while towing. 6/6 wheel does the job. The only downfall is my fuel mileage suffered towing, had to back out with factory wheel (surge), LOVE the power and ability to maintain speed pulling hills and heavy loads. I am sorry I did not recognize the van turbo. I am stock

Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by comadvan
how was it power wise? I have three wheels to choose from.. My turbo spools fast but I dont think I have the fuel for it..

my truck dies on some hills with stock turbo, 6/6 wheel and 6637 pulling maybe 15k. Rte 28 in PA 12% grades im in Second gear climbing some of them.. rpms are 25-2700 rpm steady and still slow way the hell down..

but I do mostly highway towing the same weight, at 65 I have to down shift towing a caviler, at 71 I can pull a superduty over same hill and never change gears. its weird.. I feel like im blowing through the converter or slipping the trans but none of that is happening..

so ive had the turbo and going to pop it in.. its all nickle plated and powder coated.. so its pretty.. lol but i guess no one has used the new wheel in the van 1.15 turbo..

has anyone compared the ww to the new wheel?

Ill tell him.. Oh and im at 499993 for miles
Out of the three choices I think I would go with the OBS wheel first, stock wheel 2nd & the 6/6 wheel 3rd. But I would like to try Nick's suggestion sometime.

Being that you mostly tow, I put the OBS wheel as first choice. You tow 15K on 12% grades. Is that weight including the truck or just the trailer? The OBS wheel (WW) or an ATS housing will prevent surge just as it does in the stock turbo.

I put the stock wheel 2nd because of the potential for surge while towing. It would be worth a try since this would be the quietest out of the 3 wheels.

Using the same air intake you will get the same whistle from the 6/6 wheel just at a different rpm range on the van turbo. Since you don't want that anymore I put that as the last choice. As posted above, a different air intake will help muffle the whistle.

For me the WW in the van turbo worked fine while towing. With stock injectors it might take a second to light but when she does she so goes up to 20 psi quickly. I know what you are saying about speed & rpm's. The key is to keep it at or above 2K rpm's. Once she drops below 1800 the only choice is to downshift. The van turbo will push 60 lbs/min of air just like the stock turbo but at a lower drive pressure and lower EGT's. So you won't have to back off the throttle as soon. But the biggest power difference would be going to stage I single shot injectors. Towing with these and the van turbo is a huge improvement over stock, +50 HP, even lower EGT's & the stock HPOP can keep up with the demand.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 PM
comadvan
Senior User
How about this .. In theory the van turbo will light later, so at 70mph with the 6/6 is might not whistle or make the 5lbs right.

My exhaust adapter didn't make it back from being nickle plated today so I have another week to decide.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:47 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
There are three differences between the van turbo & the stock superduty turbo.

They are all on the exhaust side:

A van uses a 1.15 a/r non wastegated exhaust housing and a truck uses a .84 a/r wastegated housing.

Because of the different housings the outlet flange that connects the turbo to the exhaust pipe is different.

The exhaust wheel is different. A truck turbine wheel has a 76.20mm inducer and a 67.73mm exducer (79 trim). The van turbo turbine wheel has a 76.20mm inducer and a 69.84mm exducer (84 trim).

These differences result in a delay in the initial boost rise, lower backpressure, reduce EGT's and make better power at higher engine rpm's.

What I don't remember are the van turbo boost #'s with stock injectors or the difference between the stock wheel and the 6/6 wheel in the van turbo. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Wait a minute, Robert in South Carolina is or was running a van turbo with the Riffraff wheel. I need to send him a message so you can get his experience as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I sent a PM to Robert asking him about his setup, hopefully he'll chime in soon. He mostly uses his Powerstroke to pull his RV.

Also, here is another thread to read. Jason in post #14 used one of Riffraff's wheels on his van turbo.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-housing.html

Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I tried the van turbo with a DieselSite WW2...I didn't care for it. When the turbo lit, it was at a much higher rpm range than I found useful for my use. When it did lite it was a beast. I really like the turbo combo I have listed in my sig.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Dan, I can't remember your exact setup - the turbo you built, does it have the ported compressor housing as well? Is it a 66mm compressor wheel?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Rich,

Non-ported, D66 WW2 compressor wheel in a machined compressor housing.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dan V
Rich,

Non-ported, D66 WW2 compressor wheel in a machined compressor housing.
with the stock turbo turbine or the van turbo turbine?

Quick Reply: Turbo Wheel on Van Turbo in Super Duty