General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

F-150 Owners Sued for Parking in Their Own Driveway!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never agreed with HOAs, and be darned if I'm going to pay a committee to tell me what I can and can't do with my property.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, people get a little bit of power, and run an ego power trip.. Trolls don't just exist online. People like that person's neighbor(s) HOA dictator etc.. who got all high and mighty, thinking they were doing the right thing, just screwed somebody hard.

I couldn't ever live in an HOA, gated community, or subsidized housing run by a landlord. I grew up in the country, and that's where I'll probably end up. My own house, my own property. No neighbors to tick off, nobody to call the cops on me because I planted flowers in the front lawn, or decorated my house for Christmas with one too many lights, and any other holiday where people decorate for. God-forbid I get fined for flying the flag on my front porch 2 minutes past 5PM(or dark, depending on time of year).

I would exploit every loophole in that waste of HOA paperwork.

Now not saying this because I'm unpatriotic or dissent, but I would fly a big ol Stars and bar confederate flag right next to the US flag on my house. As long as there is no HOA rule saying it HAS to be the US flag, or you can only have one. Stick it to em any way I could.

Throw unauthorized grass seed into the HOA presidents yard, and then complain to the board when their grass isn't the same as everyone else. They'll have to pay to dig it all up, and re-seed. Among other things I'll choose not to mention in open forum, are all small devious inconvenient ways to apply payback without brute force.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not to throw any fuel on this fire but home owners, new OR existing have had to sign acknowledgement they are fully aware of and will abide by the HOA rules in effect OR those which are amended over time during their ownership.

While so much of those rules etc are pure BS they're established or come into being by being presented and voted upon by all eligible members of the HOA, that is those paying dues or upkeep or whatever its called. Failing to attend those meetings or gathers and expressing how foolish proposals are is why these outfits seemingly enact arbitrary rules.

As John Denver said during the first ever Midnight Special which was about registering to vote "ya can't bitch if ya don't participate." More true words have never been said.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Not to throw any fuel on this fire but home owners, new OR existing have had to sign acknowledgement they are fully aware of and will abide by the HOA rules in effect OR those which are amended over time during their ownership.

While so much of those rules etc are pure BS they're established or come into being by being presented and voted upon by all eligible members of the HOA, that is those paying dues or upkeep or whatever its called. Failing to attend those meetings or gathers and expressing how foolish proposals are is why these outfits seemingly enact arbitrary rules.

As John Denver said during the first ever Midnight Special which was about registering to vote "ya can't bitch if ya don't participate." More true words have never been said.

HOA covenants are damned near etched in concrete. We have 229 homes in our sub-division. Rules and guidelines can be changed with each annual meeting by a simple attendee majority vote. But, votes on covenant's issues...new, modified or removal... can only be carried by a 75% vote of the entire membership. In our case 172 homeowners. So if 172 homeowners don't attend, the BOD cannot even present it for vote. Proxy votes are not allowed for covenants issues.

Hell, most annual meetings have to be reset 2 or three times because they can't get enough attendees to qualify a quorum.

I have been in my HOA since 2001. Been on the BOD twice and the Architectural Control Committee three times. We have had a couple of hard *** boards but, for the most part, our HOA is pretty east to get along with.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exranger06
I would buy the biggest, baddest, ugliest, lifted up, redneck, mud-covered SUV (think: Bronco, Excursion, etc) and park it in the driveway out of spite. Hey, it's not a commercial vehicle, it's an SUV, just like the next door neighbor's Toyota Rav4! Whaddya gonna do about that, homeowner's association?
I was thinking more along the lines of a '68 - '74ish Lincoln Continental with curb feelers and fuzzy dice and other pimping accoutrements. A giant, gas guzzling beast of a car. Lifted .

Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Hankster1958
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check to see if the HOA has a SPECIFIC BAN on LAWN PARKING..

bet they never put that in there.. ..

if not... PARK ON YOUR LAWNS.. a few days of THAT..

and you'll have them..... and they will relent!!

Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hankster1958
Check to see if the HOA has a SPECIFIC BAN on LAWN PARKING..

bet they never put that in there.. ..

if not... PARK ON YOUR LAWNS.. a few days of THAT..

and you'll have them..... and they will relent!!

They no need no steeenking HOA to stop you from pawking on de lawns.

Here, my city has an ordnance against it. If they didn't, there would be five old pickups with dingle *****, hanging from the head liners, parked on the grass.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Among my other prime considerations for any property that I ever own, NO HOA is the one at the head of the list.

What I own, I OWN - and nobody is going to tell me what to do with it.

I have never been approached by an HOA rep, or anyone intending to create such a thing, but if such a fool ever DID show up at my door, they would be informed that they were trespassing, instructed to leave the property at once, and informed that returning after having been informed that they were trespassing would constitute FELONY TRESPASS which I would indeed persue to the fullest...

I do not tolerate poisonous reptiles or spiders on my land either.

FWIW - I wonder what they'd think of my vegetable planters?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Among my other prime considerations for any property that I ever own, NO HOA is the one at the head of the list.

What I own, I OWN - and nobody is going to tell me what to do with it.

I have never been approached by an HOA rep, or anyone intending to create such a thing, but if such a fool ever DID show up at my door, they would be informed that they were trespassing, instructed to leave the property at once, and informed that returning after having been informed that they were trespassing would constitute FELONY TRESPASS which I would indeed persue to the fullest...

I do not tolerate poisonous reptiles or spiders on my land either.

This sort of bluster is all well and good because it sounds all tough and rebel-like, Clint Eastwood "make my day punk.." but any HOA notice sent has the full weight of the law behind it---remember those subject to an HOA have already knowingly signed consent to allow them to act with the best interest of the affected area or group of residences.

Such notifications of violations can be and typically are sent via USPS which being a federal agency acting in accordance with their purpose or charter are also acting 100% within the law and their duty.

The best way to become deeper involved in no-win situations is to act all macho with comments or threats that cannot be followed through.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
This sort of bluster is all well and good because it sounds all tough and rebel-like, Clint Eastwood "make my day punk.." but any HOA notice sent has the full weight of the law behind it---remember those subject to an HOA have already knowingly signed consent to allow them to act with the best interest of the affected area or group of residences.

Such notifications of violations can be and typically are sent via USPS which being a federal agency acting in accordance with their purpose or charter are also acting 100% within the law and their duty.

The best way to become deeper involved in no-win situations is to act all macho with comments or threats that cannot be followed through.
YOU MUSTA BEEN FEELIN' LUCKY...

1) My property IS NOT subject to an HOA, and never WILL be.

2) Any HOA that forms in my area is not going to get me to sign, and my friends (other home owners) are not going to sign either.

3) NEVER ASSUME! None of what I wrote is bluster or hot air pal, it is the FACT.

4) RTF Post

* We now return you to your regularly scheduled - whatever...

Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Greywolf
[COLOR="Navy"]YOU MUSTA BEEN FEELIN' LUCKY...

1) My property IS NOT subject to an HOA, and never WILL be.
Then if you're not subject to a HOA why all the hot air about what's not even an issue?

That's what escapes me, the bluster associated with what would happen even though its not even remotely possible.

Sounds like threats made to no one for no reason.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
The town I lived in before had a town ordinance that no trucks could be parked on your driveway or street over night. The idea was to keep big ugly trucks out of the neighbor hood. Too bad pesky neighbors used it for other purposes. My town in Indiana actually has a similar law, lucky for us, we can get passenger plates on light duty (non-commercial) trucks.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love living outside of city limits at the end of a half mile driveway. I can park anywhere I want to in my dumptruck(which I wouldn't need without a 1/2 mile driveway but that is not the point). I can park in the yard, sideways across the driveway, or even in the creek. But dont let the epa find out. (Epa is my most hated government entity)

Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin J.
I love living outside of city limits at the end of a half mile driveway. I can park anywhere I want to in my dumptruck(which I wouldn't need without a 1/2 mile driveway but that is not the point). I can park in the yard, sideways across the driveway, or even in the creek. But dont let the epa find out. (Epa is my most hated government entity)
We have 18 acres of land that we want to build on but current property values are keeping us from selling our house. Maybe once we get the last one through college we can have some money to start building. I'm looking forward to a poll barn, keeping my boat at home and my car trailer. None of which is possible in the suburbs.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
People who get buyers remorse after choosing an HOA get zero sympathy from me. The specific use of an HOA is to maintain property values and to maintain specific desired qualities in a neighborhood. Part of maintaining quality expensive neighborhoods is economic segregation and strict land use policies. That works fine for many people, but those who don't want that should make the adult choice to live elsewhere.

That simple. Life is tough and tougher if you are stupid.

I made the effort to live where I can do what I want be it target practice or working on any vehicle I wish.

BTW having seen what more than a century of uncontrolled pollution did in North Jersey I don't mind the EPA. People can't be trusted not to turn their properties or businesses into toxic waste dumps. If I wanted to live on the Ganges river I'd move to India.

Quick Reply: F-150 Owners Sued for Parking in Their Own Driveway!