Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone tried a programmer with a 92-96 f-series??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 PM
lil'ford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone tried a programmer with a 92-96 f-series??

i was checking out ways to build power without changing to many mechanical parts, and i was notified that they do make programmers for 92-96 ford efi systems i was wondering if anyone has tried one and knows about the gains that could be had... i know with newer models it makes large improvements in some modular motors 4.6/5.4 but i didn't know if my specific year was to mechanical control instead of computer. i have a 5L 93 efi and it is pretty much factory i know i can get gains from an ecu retune but this is a permanent change and with a programmer it can be adjusted at all times but is not as in depth as the re tune just looking for someone who has used a programmer and if it is worth it.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 AM
phoskins
Elder User
I think when this was brought up in the past, most of the people that posted replies wrote negative things about programmers.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's 2 basic types of EEC in this generation of trucks.

EEC-IV, which is what most of these trucks have, can only be modified by installing a chip. You can't use a programmer on it because it don't support flash programming. This EEC is only used with OBD1 systems.

EEC-V, only used in 96 F-150's and some California F-250/350's, CAN be flashed using a programmer. This EEC is only used with OBD2 systems.

Not sure what you think the difference is between a programmer and a tune but there ain't one that I'm aware of. All a programmer (or any tune) does is write different values for certain parameters/variables into the EEC's memory. For example, it might change the engine rev limiter from 5500 RPM to 6200 RPM by writing "6200" into a certain location in memory that the EEC looks at to know what the max allowable engine RPM should be.

Now, there's also these goodies that you might want to look into:

https://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-...rds-p-199.html
http://www.tweecer.com/

Those allow you to plug in and adjust things to your heart's content but in a more advanced way than just going thru the menu's on a handheld programmer.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM
lil'ford
Freshman User
ok very helpful thnx i was just wondering bout this because i have a few buddies with similar year dodges that run edge and bully dog chips but i haven't seen any fords with any similar tech but i have heard bout it. i was just curious as to the gains and whether they are worth there price

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Long story short with these gas engine trucks of this era: there is not much left on engine tune table. You need some serious intake, exhaust manifold and cylinder head work to gain anything. A simple programmer or custom tune with stock parts will gain you almost nothing other than a lighter wallet.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
The only time you get big power gains with a chip or tuner is when the motor has a turbo on it, otherwise the electronic mods don't really do much. The reason for this is simple, the EFI system is already getting as much power from the motor as it is capable of generating, and to get significantly more power something mechanical has to be changed. I guess if somebody disagrees with this then the best explanation I can come up with is that their idea of "big gains" differs a lot from what I consider to be big gains.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Snowplow5.8
New User
On the gas motors, if it can't generate more power can a programmer generate more MPG's?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowplow5.8
On the gas motors, if it can't generate more power can a programmer generate more MPG's?
Usually no (unless you like holed pistons), but it can reduce power and make it worse to drive.

Even going to a full standalone totally programmable EFI system on a stock OBS truck isn't going to yield you any significant power gains by itself. You need changes like bolt-ons for more power - and counterintuitively, more power can actually yield more fuel efficiency if you do it right.

The only naturally aspirated stock vehicles where a programmer, piggyback ECU (like the TwEECer) or standalone ECU will get you "big gains" in power or fuel economy is where the manufacturer is known to have used a substandard computer, had a design flaw such as 'always runs in open loop because there is no O2 sensor', was incompetent at creating the fuel map and other code, or had some sort of artificial limitation for legal or liability reasons. None of these apply to the OBS EEC-IV trucks.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowplow5.8
Vehicles that do see milage gains with a programmer are usually those that have no adjustable ignition parts.. ie a motor with an EDIS and coil packs for example. On older vehicles like this generation of truck there is still a distributor so you can advance the whole timing map by simply turning the dizzy, that will produce more torque and increased milage some but you can only gain so much before the motor becomes overly detonation prone, and of course this makes a programmer redundant
You might ask well why didn't the manufacturer put more ignition advance in from the beginning, the answer is they put as much in a the engine would tolerate under various conditions. Sure driving around empty a truck my be able to handle 2-4 more degrees advance but hitch 5000lbs behind it won't tolerate any additional advance.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Right, the only reason I would want to mess with my truck is because I HATE how early she locks up the converter going into 3rd gear. And also how long it takes to shift, but that could be a hydraulic thing too (needs a shift kit so the clutch apply servo's fill faster).

More power ain't happening without the hardware to back it up. And for me that means ditching the crappy E7 heads... I will wait for rebuild time to do that. They've been on there for 260k miles so far, might as well let them finish out this round of the engine's life.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lil'ford
i was checking out ways to build power without changing to many mechanical parts, and i was notified that they do make programmers for 92-96 ford efi systems i was wondering if anyone has tried one and knows about the gains that could be had... i know with newer models it makes large improvements in some modular motors 4.6/5.4 but i didn't know if my specific year was to mechanical control instead of computer. i have a 5L 93 efi and it is pretty much factory i know i can get gains from an ecu retune but this is a permanent change and with a programmer it can be adjusted at all times but is not as in depth as the re tune just looking for someone who has used a programmer and if it is worth it.
Everything you said here, except being able to change the tune with a programmer, is wrong. You can't just change the tune and get power. You will need to change some hardware on the motor and re-tune to get power. And for a gas motor, never buy a pre-made tune, you will need a dyno to get a good tune.