Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Whats your current Hoosier truck project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 PM
3KP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinnergetter: Bed looks Great on the truck

I bought this camper the day after Christmas.

I diffidently need to do something with the suspension it gets a little bouncy in the rear. Was driving yesterday going against the wind trying to run 70 MPH umm that didn't happen.. I was able to keep 60 MPH but truck kept kicking in and out of overdrive so I finally turned it off. The the temp gauge hugged the H all the way home. SO must have a cooling issue? Looks like this spring I'll be busy fixing this and that.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Funny how one addition creates 5 or more upgrades.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Turned out that steel is AR quality. Kinda good, kinda bad. Fun to shoot and very difficult to bend.

Throwing up a post cause apparently no one has had to fix anything in a while.

Cummins is self supported in the crew and working on the skid.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I haven't been doing anything Cool like you are Mark. But I have been working on Blackie to get her dailed in for almost a 3k road trip in April. It truely was a snowball effect when it came to doing one thing which lead to "May as well do this too" It all started with a set of leaky up pipes and adding a coolant filter set up.
I ended up running into problems. Of my own doing...I think ??
Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get it back together AGAIN and it will be running RIGHT this time!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-more.html

"One Thing Leads To Another" that song gets stuck in my head sometimes and I run with it. Well with the the up pipes out I figured I may was well try a different compressor wheel in the turbo. I had rebuilt the turbo about 25k ago but since I'm I changing the wheel I may as well take the turbo all apart and inspect it. Well you get the idea thankful having limits on the money I had to spend keep me from going over the deep end.
I still spent more then I had to spend on the truck but it was a easy sell to the wife since we need the truck for the trip to Florida.
Turbo in pieces...

Here I just get down right Stupid I insulated the rear fuel line since that back fuel line sits next to the up pipe, down pipe and under the turbine housing. Was it really needed NO but I'll sleep better knowing I did it.

Well since I was there I installed a Diesel Site intake plenum inserts.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Kuzz, All of the upgrades I do are worth every penny.......in MY brain!!!!

I need a frickin ironworker...got quoted $4.00 per hole for a 3/8 hole...sheesh. I just wanted to make some flat bar with rivets.

I need 5 lengths with a hole very 2-3 inches...which would have been 4500.00. Buying it ready made from King Architectural is $500+ with shipping.

Guess I'll have to kill some drill bits.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Kuzz, All of the upgrades I do are worth every penny.......in MY brain!!!!

I need a frickin ironworker...got quoted $4.00 per hole for a 3/8 hole...sheesh. I just wanted to make some flat bar with rivets.

I need 5 lengths with a hole very 2-3 inches...which would have been 4500.00. Buying it ready made from King Architectural is $500+ with shipping.

Guess I'll have to kill some drill bits.
OH MY............. I just fell off my chair that is crazy $$$. So how hard is it to drill that AR plate? Like how many holes can you get out of one drill bit ? But it does sound like a cool game plan.

I hear ya as far as justifying it in your own brain. I sometimes hear from others why bother... That's when I say I guess that is why you drive a stock truck or worse that they drive some Jap piece of crap car.

Well I took my truck to Broadway Glass today to have the windshield R&I due to having a leak. Since I was there I had them tint the front windows I went with legal tint. I would have liked it darker but I don't need any trouble with the cops. It turned out nice. When I take it back next week they are going to do a tinted windshield visor. I had to wait since windshield seal hasn't set yet. Tomorrow I am installing a new Bosch fuel pump since I don't think it has ever been changed in 223k.

This last weekend I put a new light in the bed cap, Extang tailgate seal and some new marine rated carpet over the rubber bedliner. I got tools and spare parts in the truck tool box. I tucked the carpet under the bedline for a cleaner look and it is easy to remove when I am hauling nasty stuff around.

Also I am adding a few layers of TP / thief protection I ordered a Cyclops TAM and I am doing some other tricks to slow down the average thief. Couple dealing with wiring and a few hidden razor blades up under the dash. I am not worried about my truck at home since it is parked in a garage with a fence around it, a Bad dog and I sleep with a gun within arms reach. I also have some special surprises for anyone who goes to break into the garage when I am not around.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Heck, I just need to drill reg flat bar. I cut a locker in half for some dang reason and added 4 legs made from railroad track. I recessed the bottom of it into the rail. Turns out a portable band saw cuts right through the rail.

That bad boy aint tipping over and I wanted to ad some riveted flat bar to dress it up a bit. Gonna put that project away for a while and see how my spring goes. Have to work on my wife's scarecrow for the yard while I'm saving for that ironworker.

I gotta have Broadway come out too. My 2015 got cracked on 94 a few weeks ago and it has finally creeped into my line of site.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:31 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Heck, I just need to drill reg flat bar. I cut a locker in half for some dang reason and added 4 legs made from railroad track. I recessed the bottom of it into the rail. Turns out a portable band saw cuts right through the rail.

That bad boy aint tipping over and I wanted to ad some riveted flat bar to dress it up a bit. Gonna put that project away for a while and see how my spring goes. Have to work on my wife's scarecrow for the yard while I'm saving for that ironworker.

I gotta have Broadway come out too. My 2015 got cracked on 94 a few weeks ago and it has finally creeped into my line of site.
You have more projects going then anyone I know. Sounds like something Cool but HEAVY !! I hope you'll post a photo when you are done.

I was so shell shocked by the price you posted I had forgotten to tell you about a company I use in Evenville, IN Cut2SizeMetal.com
Custom Metal Fabrication - Online Metals | Cut 2 Size Metals - ESMW
Over the years I have used them when I have had to reverse engineer or redesign parts for old boats. I have sent them measurements or templetes and they put it into CAD and have made me what I have needed. They are great people to deal with and they will help you work though a problem. Mind you they are not cheap but I have always found that they are fair on pricing.

By the way Broadway Auto Glass did a very nice job. I'm taking it back Monday to get the tint checked (First roll down) and I am getting a tinted windshield visor installed.
They have the best prices on Auto glass in NW Indiana.
Broadway Glass | Merrillville Indiana Window Tinting
Also they are factory dealers of Viper Alarms and down the road I'm going to get the Viper SmartStart GPS.
Viper SmartStart GPS Module

Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Kuzz, thanks for the tip. I wanted to have Steel Cities torch some pieces for my entrance at work but they don't create the files...just burn it.

Broadway did my windshield on site for 215.00 in about 25 minutes.

Hope you had/have a safe trip.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Kuzz, thanks for the tip. I wanted to have Steel Cities torch some pieces for my entrance at work but they don't create the files...just burn it.

Broadway did my windshield on site for 215.00 in about 25 minutes.

Hope you had/have a safe trip.
I glad to hear Broadway took care of you. I94/I80 Borman Hwy is one of the most dangerous highways here in NW Indiana and if I recall correctly reading once that it even ranked pretty high nationally too. So I am actually glad to hear that it was only a windshield. Now as far as Steel Cities that is too bad since they are nice an close. I know a guy in Portage with a water jet but it has been broken for over a year now.
Next time I see him I am 1/2 tempted to say if you aren't going to fix it, you should sell it to someone who will fix it.

Thanks, I'm actually headed south tomorrow morning.
To my surprise...... OK actually not too surprised but my wife filled the bed of the stuff. I myself have the toolbox in the bed loaded with spare parts and tools just in case and hopefully I won't need them.
Can't wait to hit the road !!!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 PM
baileybilt
Senior User
I'm debating on whether I want to start on this 88 F350 or not. At the very least an engine swap and swap over from the C6 to an overdrive. Most likely a ZF. The other big thing will be rust repair. Anybody have much experience with POR15 or products like it ? The frame is still good but these newer trucks (I'm 50 so older trucks are 60's-70's for me) frames flake up and rust out so much quicker than the older frames. Guess its another way they keep us buying newer and the companies stay in business.

Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 AM
chrissmallwood
Junior User
Currently working on my 67 f600. Ive recently painted the bed with a roll on bed liner and stained the side boards. I painted the rims a silver color. Had to put new intake gaskets on it recently since a po had put gaskets on it meant for very large port heads so it was sucking air and oil up from under the intake. My next item to work on is to fix the cab corners since they've rusted through(if anyone wants to do that for me ill pay you in beer or tequila). She doesn't go anywhere fast but she sure is fun to drive and shes got more soul then most newer trucks that's for sure.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Forgot about this thread. I got seriously distracted by long range shooting. I think I'm kinda burned out on the trucks for a while although I have like 10 of the old dogs now.

Saved 6 70-79 from the JY and bought another mid 70's shortbed. I need to sell all of them.

Shot my first elk last fall..just a cow but good eating. 416 yard chip shot. I've been going to Youngs Longshot every other week...fun stuff.

Recycled some rusty fenders and a old locker for a store display.

Fabbed shooting bench. Window placed perfectly.

Kinda like my own JY: Need a project?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 AM
Warhawk77
Senior User
My current project is 1978 Ford F150.
Name:  1978 passside (1).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  124.6 KB

Lots of work so far but it is a solid truck and ready for winter.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Stevaroo01
Elder User

Well, I have a new project truck. It’s a ‘95 F-150 XLT. 300 straight 6, manual trans, 4x2. She’s a little rough around the edges, but sound where it counts. I’ve had her a couple weeks and done a half dozen jobs of various sizes on her. Quite a lot left on the list to work on over the next few months. End of the day, she’ll be a work truck and not a show truck. But I still want to set her up for a good long life.

Whats everyone else working on? Haven’t been any updates here in a while.

Quick Reply: Whats your current Hoosier truck project?