Shuddering in 6th gear - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuddering in 6th gear

Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 PM
bryced15
Junior User
bryced15 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bryced15 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Shuddering in 6th gear

Just bought my 2013 Platinum 350 DRW 2 weeks ago. 9,000 miles on it. I was cruising along yesterday at around 45 mph in 6th gear going up a slight incline. Truck was fairly low rpm don't remember what exactly. As I'm going up this hill it begins to shudder quite a bit almost seemed like the turbo shuddering while lugging up the hill at a low rpm in 6th. I stepped into the throttle to get it to downshift into 5th and it stopped. Is this anything normal or anything anyone else has experienced? I never experienced anything remotely like this in my 2011 6.7. Interested to hear others thoughts.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Ltngdrvr
Elder User
Ltngdrvr has a good reputation on FTE.Ltngdrvr has a good reputation on FTE.
Just sounds like it was lugging the motor, don't know why it wouldn't have downshifted on its own before it got that bad though.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bryced15 View Post
... As I'm going up this hill it begins to shudder quite a bit almost seemed like the turbo shuddering while lugging up the hill at a low rpm in 6th. I stepped into the throttle to get it to downshift into 5th and it stopped...
Hi bryced15,

Since you're concerned, you can always have your dealership check things out. If you decide to go that route, let us know what you hear. I'll be here if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Warndbqe
New User
Warndbqe is starting off with a positive reputation.
There was an earlier thread on a similar set of circumstances that I responded to with my own experience involving my new 2015 at 5,000 miles. I will look for it or you can do search as well.

I dropped into 5th after kicking off the cruise control while going up a long, straight incline. Others with similar shuddering were advised to take their truck in to check for valve sticking I seem to recall.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Warndbqe
New User
The thread I remembered was from Big-Sarge in 2014. My post in that thread was in October I think. You can probably find it by using advanced search for the originator's forum name , Big-Sarge. It covered numerous issues.

Hope this helps your search for information.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:38 AM
bryced15
Junior User
bryced15 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bryced15 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks, I will look for that thread.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like your having the same problem as me. There is my thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ith-video.html

Thanks Warndbqe for the shout out.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Sonic8047
New User
Sonic8047 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shuddering

Originally Posted by Big-Sarge View Post
Sounds like your having the same problem as me. There is my thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ith-video.html

Thanks Warndbqe for the shout out.
sarge my truck is doing the exact same thing up incline 5th to 6th at times sounds like a squeaking while shuddering sounds exactly like tour video what was the issue and what was done to fix this it drives me nuts absolutely nuts and the dealership is telling me it is normal thanks

Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Warndbqe
New User
Sonic8047

this is not normal. I referred to this same issue earlier in this thread, January 15, 2015. It is now June 12, 2018. About 5,000 miles ago at 50,000 the problem got so bad (I had to drop down to 4th on the level) that the dealer finally found the TSB that said to replace the left side valves. This did require giving up the truck for a week because it was a cab off repair and not all parts were available for a couple days. I think they told me 4-5 days normally. Fortunately I had purchased extended warranty.

I believe that the issue is caused by only using one side for regen which does cause build up on the left side. The fix worked for me but I also had the dealer reprogram the regen to use both sides instead of only one. I won’t have the problem again because I am trading in the 350. It is a ridiculous issue to have.

Somewhere in the several different threads on this issue is a post that indicated the member simply added valve cleaner and solved the problem. I believe he had driven his unit to 100,000 miles and not had a reoccurrence of the problem. I obviously decided to go with the Ford fix in case there was another problem or it happened again.

‘Sorry I can not remember the thread. If I can find it I will re-post.

Warndbqe

Warndbqe

Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Sonic8047
New User
Sonic8047 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shuddering

My truck is in the shop now the mechanic read this forum and decided to replace the turbo.... we will see if this fixed the issue that is what he is thinking it is they replaced the wastegate but to no avail...... if it don't fix it then they will assess the next step I guess they seam to be pretty dedicated to figuring out the issue since they put a new wastegate on it has been shuddering in drive in flat ground so it has gotten worse...... if it fixes the issue replacing the turbo I'll update this thread with the fix lucky I have a 3 year extended warenteed still and they will have to keep getting it back until they fix it