1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door glass install order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:58 PM
dadsgp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door glass install order?

what is the best order to install glass channel,felt anti rattle, division bar, door glass and wing window. I would like to go it right the first time.

Right now I just have the window regulator installed. Searched forum and saw a lot on one piece glass but that's it.

Thanks Eric

Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I am wondering the same thing on a '49 so I will follow this thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
This is how I do 48-52 doors....
Put the division bar in the bare door first. It barely fits....then move it out of the way.
next window regulator.
then vent assy.
slide division bar forward and set glass into the bottom of the door.
install bar but leave the bottom loose.
slide glass up into place and attach, the bar will flex enough to pop it into the rear channel.
now the perimeter channel starting at the lower rear.
Adjust lower division bar for correct operation .
Last are the anti rattle fuzzies.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
This is how I do 48-52 doors....
Put the division bar in the bare door first. It barely fits....then move it out of the way.
next window regulator.
then vent assy.
slide division bar forward and set glass into the bottom of the door.
install bar but leave the bottom loose.
slide glass up into place and attach, the bar will flex enough to pop it into the rear channel.
now the perimeter channel starting at the lower rear.
Adjust lower division bar for correct operation .
Last are the anti rattle fuzzies.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 PM
dadsgp
Freshman User
Glass channel Question?

the tabs on the bottom glass Channel. Do they face toward the inside of door ie the access panel. to offset the glass toward the outside of the door and away from regulator?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dadsgp
the tabs on the bottom glass Channel. Do they face toward the inside of door ie the access panel. to offset the glass toward the outside of the door and away from regulator?
I put mine to the inside, but have seen them both ways in some old doors I have taken apart.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this much about the stock setup on a '53 F100: The lift channel is friction fit to the glass with setting tape. One side of the channel is straight and parallel to the plane of the glass. The other side is straight and parallel where it grips the glass, but then bends outward about 1/4". This bend is intended to act sort of like a "gutter" to intercept rainwater sheeting down the face of the glass. This helps keep water from rusting the rollers and hinge points on the regulator arms. What's more: there is only one way that the channels can fit. If they were turned around, then there would be no way to slide them over the regulator rollers. The only way that they could go in backwards would be to have the entire regulator assembly installed backwards.
So, the answer to the question "which way should the channels fit" is that the "gutter " should face toward the outside of the door

Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 AM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I'll have to try that order on my '62. I always struggle wondering which order is best.

One thing you left out is the door latch regulator and arm

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Currently, I am installing all the door glass in my 53 F100. So, this thread is interesting and relevant to me. I do not know about any of this except for my own make and model. But, what I recently learned (the hard way) is that the metal channel that holds the bottom (vertical leg) of the flexible window channel has a left and right side for correct installation: without paying attention to this, you have a 50/50 chance of installing it correctly. If installed incorrectly, the bottom of the glass channels will be about 3/4" out of parallel. Mid Fifty sells these.(Mid Fifty references these channels as "driver side" and "passenger side", so there is little room for confusion.) From this, I see that the correct installation should be such that, with the window rolled down, the bottom of the glass should be closer to the door skin than it would be in an incorrect installation. Also, I have not gotten to the point where I am installing the anti-rattle frizzie things, but I can see that I will have to un-attach the regulator, and drop the glass an inch or so, to install them. Question to others following this thread: Are there any tricks to a nice install of the flexible channels? I got all the buttons pushed into their holes on one side, but the channel is sort of wavy. It seems to work okay, but looks a bit crummy: the stainless steel bead on it doesn't fit snug and parallel to the door window frame.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
Mid Fifty will also tell you (which I didn't know) that on 1953-55 glass that it's easy to install it wrong. It looks almost correct even if it's sideways but there's a 1/4 inch or even less difference. if it doesn't fit, you have it turned wrong. They are good for little pointers like that and will tell you which parts NOT to buy if you're going a certain route. Not many do that.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
A quick note to insert in this thread: I do not like the way that the flexible channel fit, so I have ordered another piece to try it again. This time I got it from Dennis Carpenter. The first one came from Mid Fifty. It turns out that the channels from Carpenter have an additional piece of metal (like the stock channels did) which holds the curve where the channel makes its 90 degree bend. It is from this bend that much of my unsatisfactory installation originates. Anyone had experience using the Carpenter channels?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Really glad that this thread was started. I'll be reassembling the doors on my 49 F1 soon!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
mike.rogers
Senior User
ok I'm working on mine right now. I may have the bottom channel piece in wrong because it will only roll up about 3/4 of the way or because I have not put anything in the channel to hold the glass yet and this is causing the channel to slide along the bottom of the glass. Is there any pics of a window down and it setting in the channel???

thanks

Mike

Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
bumping this in hope of getting pic's

Old 04-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Don T
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Installing the fuzzies! Mine were from Vintique and nowhere near following the shape of the door to install using the clips; figured it was time to introduce the Merc to adhesives, typical lumber yard urethane subfloor adhesive, wedge in place where you want it and leave overnight and then do the other side. I removed the rubber from the back of the fuzzies so I was glueing metal to metal.

Quick Reply: Door glass install order?