6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What could cause Diesel fuel hydrolock and destroy rod bearings In just 440 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 PM
piperpilotduane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could cause Diesel fuel hydrolock and destroy rod bearings In just 440 miles?

I purchased a 2006 F250 a few months back and it had a couple codes for bad injectors. Even though the truck only had 99,000 miles on it I sent it in December and had the truck bulletproofed. The Diesel tech that did it has been a for tech for 10 years and has done hundreds of head gaskets and studs. We then ordered a set of 8 remanufactured injectors from a source that has rave reviews on many forums.

I have changed oil in this truck Twice since I bought it and never a trace of bearing material in the filter or oil.

After installing everything, the mechanic at my request, drove it a couple hundred miles checking things out. He installed an sct live wire for me so I could watch temps. The second day I noticed that the oil temp was 20 * hotter than the coolant temp. Each time I drove it the differential grew. (Actually clogging the oil cooler with metal). At 440 miles #6 piston made a tapping noise and it shut down hydro locking with fuel. I had the heads pulled and #3 piston was 1/2 full of diesel, #5 was full of Diesel and #6 was full of Diesel. All injectors still had the O-rings and Copper washers intact and clean. # 1 was a little dirty between the washer and the 1st oring. What could cause this besides faulty injectors?

We tore down the block after only 440 miles and found the filter and pan full of bronze bearing material. Hardly any wear on 1,2,4,7 and 8 rod bearings. Mild wear on #3, a lot on #5 and # 6 completely gone. The piston coating was completely washed of any coating and a print in the metal where it hit the head a dozen times or so on #6. Like the rod bearings, # 1,2,4,7,8 had hardly any wear on the coating.

What are we missing, the re-manufacturer says the injectors are fine, but I have a destroyed engine that is junk. I have pictures of all the damage on flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128691588@N05/

Last edited by piperpilotduane; 01-14-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Add
Old 01-15-2015, 05:38 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
It's hard to say, since this is a used truck. You don't know what was done in the past.

I am far from being a diesel expert, but there is only one way for fuel to get into the combustion chamber, and that is through the injectors. If there is too much fuel, it came from the injectors.

When you say the truck was "bulletproofed", what exactly was done?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wow, you've had some really lousy luck with this truck.

It seems odd to me that you had injector codes before you had the engine torn down the first time, and injector problems are likely to have killed your engine. What were the trouble codes before it went into the shop?

I'm going to move this one down to the 6.0L forum, the folks down there will be better able to help you with this.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by piperpilotduane
I purchased a 2006 F250 a few months back and it had a couple codes for bad injectors. Even though the truck only had 99,000 miles on it I sent it in December and had the truck bulletproofed. The Diesel tech that did it has been a for tech for 10 years and has done hundreds of head gaskets and studs. We then ordered a set of 8 remanufactured injectors from a source that has rave reviews on many forums.

I have changed oil in this truck Twice since I bought it and never a trace of bearing material in the filter or oil.

After installing everything, the mechanic at my request, drove it a couple hundred miles checking things out. He installed an sct live wire for me so I could watch temps. The second day I noticed that the oil temp was 20 * hotter than the coolant temp. Each time I drove it the differential grew. (Actually clogging the oil cooler with metal). At 440 miles #6 piston made a tapping noise and it shut down hydro locking with fuel. I had the heads pulled and #3 piston was 1/2 full of diesel, #5 was full of Diesel and #6 was full of Diesel. All injectors still had the O-rings and Copper washers intact and clean. # 1 was a little dirty between the washer and the 1st oring. What could cause this besides faulty injectors?

We tore down the block after only 440 miles and found the filter and pan full of bronze bearing material. Hardly any wear on 1,2,4,7 and 8 rod bearings. Mild wear on #3, a lot on #5 and # 6 completely gone. The piston coating was completely washed of any coating and a print in the metal where it hit the head a dozen times or so on #6. Like the rod bearings, # 1,2,4,7,8 had hardly any wear on the coating.

What are we missing, the re-manufacturer says the injectors are fine, but I have a destroyed engine that is junk. I have pictures of all the damage on flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128691588@N05/
If you did not have the injectors completely cleaned, then I would suggest that you possibly have injector "stiction". In other words there is a burnt oil residue on the injector keeping it slightly open when the engine is shut off allowing fuel pressure to bleed off to cylinders 3, 5 and 6. Therefore, any injector that suffers from stiction is leaking fuel into the cylinder. On start up the fuel pump comes on and runs while the GP cycles and continues to fill cylinders 3, 5 and 6 with fuel.

Using synthetic oil and a good injector cleaner after you fix your current problem will prevent stiction.

Ed

Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by piperpilotduane

Was any trouble shooting done before tear down? How much oil was drained before tear down? The bearing damage could have been from fuel dilution of the oil. You can get fuel in the oil from fuel escaping past the upper fuel oring on the injector or from an injector hanging open. It would have been a good idea to remove the glow plugs and valve covers and oil rails and command the fuel pump on to see either which injector was hanging open or which injector was allowing fuel past the upper oring and into the topside of the head. Either way that really sucks.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I WILL NOT install any injectors that are not OEM. not the first engine I've seen (or heard of) that got taken and had aftermarket injectors. That may not be the cause here,, but my experience says the aftermarket injectors are the root cause.