Total Intermittent Unreproduceable Electrical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Total Intermittent Unreproduceable Electrical Failure

New ghost in the machine.

Pulled out of the driveway two days ago to go trailer a wrecked car home. Got about half a mile up the road, and my electrical system started flickering. Engine died, dash went nuts, everything is clicking on and off real fast. This went on for a minute or two, then stopped. After a little internal debate, I decided to continue on.

Ran fine for another mile or so. Hitched up the trailer and checked the lights, everything A-OK. Started rolling down the lane and the truck went dark. Engine shut down, no sign of electrical power anywhere. It was as if my batteries had been suddenly abducted by aliens. Truck stayed dark for about 5 - 10 seconds, then like a switch was thrown all the electric came back on. Dropped the trailer and drove back to the house without incident. Not towing a car like this.

Checked the battery connections. Looked really good and tight. Pulled and cleaned them anyways.

Pulled the fuse box out from under the dash and looked for water damage. Absolutely no sign of moisture or corrosion anywhere on the box or anything else under the dash.

Started the truck and turned every electrical item I could think of on. Truck sat and idled for 15 minutes without a hiccup. Voltage at the batteries was normal. I wiggled wires everywhere with no effect.

Decided to quit for the night. Got into the truck to move it to it's parking spot and POOF, all went dark again. Engine died, heater blower, radio, headlights, interior lights, all dark. About 5 seconds later, everything came back online.

No CEL. No other symptoms. She was either running perfectly or had no juice at all.

I drove it last night to the mechanic I use. 7 miles, bumps, potholes, stop and go traffic, no issues.

Just spoke with the mechanic. They can't reproduce the problem. I told him I can't reproduce it on demand either. I asked that they put it up on the rack and check all the ground points.

And that is where I am now. Slightly broken hearted that the old girl is hurting and sitting in a strange garage.

Our family asks in this time of need that in lieu of flowers, please send any recommendations that may speed her recovery.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
UPDATE - Mechanic says truck now has no power. Went dark and stayed dark. I guess that is a good thing. Should be able to troubleshoot...

Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Not sure what year your is but on my 02 there is a small plastic covered junction on the drivers side fender liner with a nut inside that has 3 wires under it. One wire comes from the batteries and the other two are gray fusible links that connect to the fuse box and provide all the electrical power. This connection is subject to road grime and can get corroded and deteriorated especially if the plastic cover is loose or open.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Thanks I will check that...

Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Not sure what year your is but on my 02 there is a small plastic covered junction on the drivers side fender liner with a nut inside that has 3 wires under it. One wire comes from the batteries and the other two are gray fusible links that connect to the fuse box and provide all the electrical power. This connection is subject to road grime and can get corroded and deteriorated especially if the plastic cover is loose or open.
x2 on that. It's hard to locate, but looking in the wheel well you'll see the nut that retains it towards the apex. Pic below is without the plastic cover that says "High Voltage". Should say high amperage, but hey, they sell these in Canada too.

Less likely but I'll throw it out there: mine had equally random electric failure, but limited to the PCM/engine. That was the ignition switch mounted on the steering shaft, other pic below.

And thanks for the entertaining, if sad, tale.

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Let us know, I was going to say steering shaft myself but never heard of the box in the fender well.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
I had a loose wire in the column a couple years ago that was causing some odd symptoms. Found it by accident. This time it was really different. My trailer brake controller even went dark! It was like in the movies when an EMP wipes out all electrical activity. Something out of the Twilight Zone, for those of us old enough to remember that show.

I will definitely let you guys know what is found, either by me or the mechanic. Had to work today so I can't hover over the mechanic's shoulder.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The IDM is not lonely?

Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Good news, my mechanic just called. He found that junction box you guys suggested. It is corroded clean through. Old girl will be back in action this afternoon!

I never knew that small junction box was even there. Oh well, it should be good for another 13 years I guess.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Now I have to go on safari to figure out where this is.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
That's the fun part of these trucks, Rich. You are never done learnin'.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Post a picture Rich when you find it. Never seen or heard of it either.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:51 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Good Info..reps sent!!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:46 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3roINB4FO0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This video shows the approximate location of the mythical thorn in my paw.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's a pretty decent pic of that fuseable link, just below the loop of red wire in the middle of the pic. Driver's fender well is on the right.

I took this when I had the airbox removed, thought it might help show your position.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Total Intermittent Unreproduceable Electrical Failure