6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Air bags and towing a nose-high fiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruschejj
First thing I would do is adjust your fifth wheel hitch, sounds like it needs to be dropped a notch. There should be a series of pre drilled holes on the top part of your hitch, just drop it one hole, maybe two.

I'm of the opinion that transporting a multi axle trailer requires it to be nearly level for proper weight distribution. If the nose is high then the rear axle on the trailer is probably handling more weight than the front. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's not right either. If the camper is heavy and the axles are close to their limit you could be overloading the rear axle.

Once the hitch is right I would also get airbags. I think airbags are the most bang for your buck mod on a truck. You can improve your towing experience dramatically with just two airbags.
He can't adjust the hitch because he has the Pullrite Slider. (Non adjustable for height)

However, I agree the rest of this! Having a nose high 5th wheel does put more weight and strain on the trailer rear axle & tires.

I think O.P. is looking at the wrong end first. Adding the air bags will level out the Truck, But at the same time it is going to raise the nose higher.

I run a Pullrite slider too. I ended up raising the axles in the 5'vr one hole. I have the Mor Ryde axles on the trailer, so it was fairly easy to do. It solved my problem of nose high, and gave me a little more bed rail clearance at the truck at the same time.

Then if the truck still squats, add your favorite air bags to the truck.

Paul