1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front end problem... again.. some suggestions/guidance appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front end problem... again.. some suggestions/guidance appreciated.

Well some of you may kow, i just replaced. Almost all my left drivers side front end including,Entire wheel bearing/hub assembly, caliper, rotor, pads, knuckle seal, tie rod end and warn lock out hub. (Off the top of my head).

After that i got an alignment. My steering wheel is still alittle to the right when im going straight... it feels like i have to put alittle left turn force to keep it from straying to the right...

After two weeks i started hearing a minor mouse like squeek when just driving and it escalated to louder and harder when i applied my brakes, figured it was just debris causing this and other then being annoyed i let it go.

Well last nght i could start feeling a come and go vibration in my feet, and when i applied my brakes id feel a grab and start to pull left along with the pedal feeling different...

I drove easy to work and on the way home i stopped at that alignment shop to see if he could check it out real quick.

I waited for him to arrive and he had booked appointments for the next few hours so he had me pull it in so we could use a floor jack and take a quick non detailed look.

We jacked up the left side and first visually checked all caliper bolts and what not. They were all good, so we spun the wheel itself, first without the hub locked, and we could hear minor squeek/ metal on metal sounds. Checked the dust shield and saw it was REALLY close to the rotor, so we bent it back alittle. Spun wheel again. No more squeek/ grind noise. Then we locked the hub and spun the wheel to check that the u joint in the front axle was not binding up, and it wasnt, it was fine.

So we went to the right passenger side wheel, repeated the same process and everything was ok there.

Now, my trucks still tracking to the right, most if not all that noise has gone away. Occassionallh i still believe i feel a tug to the left when braking. The slower your going the less and unnoticeable it is. If your going faster and cram the brakes the vibrations and pulling left incrase. Again sometimes worse then others, sometimes not at all.

Now, when u have my hubs locked and im driving, you can feel i vibration in the front end, slightly when driving with hubs locked and switch in 4x4 it does the same. Which could be normal, because i think i remember about 4-5 years ago when i used 4 wheel drive on the road last it did that.

Also, when im going slow or turning my wheel i hear a whining noise like low power steering flud, but not so much hard steering wheel that comes with that. I filled that up,and still get that sound faintly,

Can anyone take this info and possibly help lead me in the right direction with ideas of what you think or assume any or all of my many issuses i have going on?

No garage means COLD outside for who knows how long when id try to figure this out single handedly.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:37 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
I'd be surprised if a hub bearing can go bad that fast, but ya never know. Jack up the front, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and try to shake it back and forth. The new hub should not have any play in it. Also the same shake at 12 and 6, which targets bad ball joints more, tho a bad hub will allow movement all directions. If you have heavy tires/wheels you can use a 2x4 to try and lift the wheel to check for slop in the ball joints. And a helper watching the various parts from underneath really helps.

Are the four nuts that mount the hub to the spindle tight?

Also could be the brake pads dragging. Did you replace the rubber hose? The hose can fail internally and act like a check valve, so the hydraulic pressure does not release the pads fully. Then they drag and overheat, get grabby or mushy, etc.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This has the potential to lead us to chasing our tails... I have some experience with that. I was swatting at nose problems like a cat with a laser for so long... and the root cause of many of my woes was who I chose to do the alignment.

I know from experience with Stinky that a bad alignment can cause vibration in the nose. I also know that even though I focus on my tire pressure, a simple visit to any vehicle service may have them changing your your plan. I was lazy one time and had the oil changed for me. The bass turds let 10 pounds out of my front tires, and they thought they were being helpful.

That's the long way of saying assume nothing. You know the nose pulls to one side, and that's unacceptable. This is an easy one to recognize, and confirm once resolved. Start there - because I bet it will reset your list of symptoms, and maybe cross it off.

Car front-end shops are not used to 8000 pounds on the lift with a solid front axle. I had to get beat bloody to learn this one. Is there a light/medium truck service center nearby (like someone who services IH)?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM
tonym17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many miles on the tires and what brand do you run??

Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have about 1000 miles tops on my tires. They are 285/65/16 Mastercraft Courser MSR. I believe thr shop that put them on said they put 60 in the front and 50 in the back i think...

I will buy a new GOOD gauge and check them all. What side would it pull to? The one with more air or less? They couldnt use wheel weights to balance them they said they said they put something inside them that when i drove it would balance them. I forget what they called it tho.

You cant tell by just taing a quick glance at it, but I just noticed, it looks like someone hit my front passenger side, or somehow my front bumper is closer to the tire then my driver side that it slightly rubs when i turn the wheel left far enough (it taked almost being fully turned), I tried pulling it back up to its proper location but its a pretty strong bumper or the mount bar is bent or something.