Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAA broke my truck, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevaroo01

Also, while the shop was inspecting the damage, they determined that the pitman arm was worn out/loose and needed replacing too. This is not a result of the AAA damage, but just because it is old and it wore out naturally.
Originally Posted by madpogue
There was nothing implied about pitman arm wear. The purpose of shooting a video pointing at the pitman arm is to see whether, and how much, it moves when turning the shaft. It would also indicate whether the tie rod ball joint that attaches to the pitman arm is broken, or whether one of the other tie rods is broken "downstream".

That said, pitman arms most definitely DO wear. On my '85, when an assistant turns the steering wheel, you can feel the pitman arm twisting a few degrees relative to sector shaft coming out of the box; that's a reflection of wear on the splines.

"No moving parts" is irrelevant to whether a part wears. Tires have "no moving parts", after all.

The splines can only wear if the nut is loose. That's like saying your fender got worn out by rubbing it on a tree. I could argue that tires do have moving parts, at least more so than a pitman arm.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Any splined attachment is subject to wear. The softer of the two metals (in this case, the pitman arm) will be the "loser". In the OP's case, no biggie; a new pitman arm on the new steering box will save the shop the trouble of pulling the old pitman from the old shaft.

AAA should consider recouping their losses by entering that tow truck driver in some tough guy competitions.....

Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
I got off the phone with the AAA rep a few minutes ago. The shop determined that the steering gear was in fact broken by the first AAA tow driver. As a result, AAA is taking care of it and paying for the full cost of replacing the steering gear.
Gotta say that is pretty impressive on the part of AAA. Also glad to see you are doing the right thing by replacing your worn pitman arm.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
That is a 1st I have ever heard of a pitman arm wearing. Typical they fit SO tight you can't get them off.

I work on tractors all the time and their spindles and steering arms splines wear all the time from the nut working loose allowing play. But that is from the nut coming loose that caused the wear

Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
That is a 1st I have ever heard of a pitman arm wearing. Typical they fit SO tight you can't get them off.

I work on tractors all the time and their spindles and steering arms splines wear all the time from the nut working loose allowing play. But that is from the nut coming loose that caused the wear
I suspect the shop just figured it would be easier to replace it. They can be tough to get off. Maybe they don't have a good pitman arm puller. I bet they charge labor to replace it even though it is less work. Hopefully they don't use a pickle fork to separate it from the steering linkage.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The replacement of my pitman arm seams to have caused some debate. I personally don't know a whole lot about it, so unfortunately I have to fall back on the advice of others who do know more. I tend to trust the shop that did the work, so I took their advice. However, I did ask them to leave the old pitman arm in the truck. So, when I get it back (should be tomorrow) I'll take a pic and post it up and you guys can tell me if you think it was a good idea to replace it or not.

That being said... they didn't tell me to replace it just to save labor. They had to remove it from the old steering gear, because the steering gear had to be sent in as a core and I am keeping the old pitman arm.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts and help!

Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Ok, the truck is home now and I was able to take a look at the pitman arm. I've attached a few pics here for the experts to look at. Sorry the last one is blurry. I was trying to show inside the hole.

As you can see very well in the second picture, there appears to be damage to one end. I don't know when or how this happened, though I expect it was long before I got the truck as I haven't hit anything with it since I got it. Perhaps this damage is the "wear and tear" that the shop was referring to?

Anyway, it's changed now. So, whether needed or not, I have a new one.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with help and suggestions along the way!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like someone took a torch to it trying to pop it off with heat and over done it! That's probly why they said it needed to be replaced.....

Old 01-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
IS that all that they replaced or did they also replace the steering box?

In that pic, that is a melt mark from a torch. That is NOT "wear" and if it was there before AAA touched the truck, it was not AAA fault

Ok, the truck is home now and I was able to

As you can see very well in the second picture, there appears to be damage to one end. I don't know when or how this happened, though I expect it was long before I got the truck as I haven't hit anything with it since I got it. Perhaps this damage is the "wear and tear" that the shop was referring to?

Anyway, it's changed now. So, whether needed or not, I have a new one.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with help and suggestions along the way!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
IS that all that they replaced or did they also replace the steering box?

In that pic, that is a melt mark from a torch. That is NOT "wear" and if it was there before AAA touched the truck, it was not AAA fault
I do not know whether or not the torch mark was there prior to AAA damaging my truck. But, that is not what they broke or paid to replace. They broke the steering gear. The pitman arm was something the shop said needed replacement so I had them do it at the same time.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally by the pic I would say the shop put a torch on it otherwise it wasn't like that very long. Their isn't a lot of road grime or dirt on it and the burns don't look to old.

I agree with eddie that they probably tried heating it to break it loose and ended up melting it instead.

However I would be glad the shop said something about replacing as a lot of shops would have just stuck it on their and that would have been really dangerous. Next thing you know you could have been going down the road without steering.
Trav

Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would thank AAA for discovering a broken steering box that was one pothole fron throwing you in a ditch.
There is zero way you can break a good steeringbox with hand pressure.

I would also change the title of this thread to "AAA saved me from imminent death from losing my steering"

Your steering box sees hundreds of ftlbs of torque while driving.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Loke i said, they probably dont have a puller.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A shop with no pitman puller? Sounds like shadetree repairs inc.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bashby
Loke i said, they probably dont have a puller.
Or they may have had a puller before they tried using it on the rust-welded OBS arm. Now they have a pile of broken parts that used to be a puller.

I learned long ago from pro mechanics that you just go ahead and replace the Pittman arm on a steering box with the box if you had a choice. Often the value of amount of labor needed to pull the old one off exceeds the price of a new arm.

Quick Reply: AAA broke my truck, now what?