6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

The Adventures of Large Marge

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 10:10 AM
McGanksta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Adventures of Large Marge

The Adventure has begun.

Brought "Large Marge" home on the 5th of Feb.
2010 F350 SD Lariat, fully loaded 153K miles. I was warned, did my own research, and made an informed choice, and against EVERYONE'S advice, warnings, and tales of pending world ending catastrophe, I bought her anyway. Also got a warranty 5yr/100k miles

Had a pre-purchase inspection done, came back with maintenance issues, Shocks, Tires, Fluids, Breaks...and such, mechanically sound.
Then Monday, there was a fuel leak, so took it to my shop to find/fix the leak, and do another inspection, to verify the findings of the other inspection.
My guys came up with the same outcome, and said they too felt the engine was in good shape
Fuel leak was bad seal on the top fuel filter, so replaced them both, got the drive to clean exhaust message and took to the highway.
I have only driven her after the work that one time because I am out of town, but all seemed fine.
I do think I need to address some steering issues, an alignment at least, but I think I have the death wobble.

I am looking at either the Ford fuel additive or the Archoil one
With as many oil changes as I am going to be doing I will be using at best a synthetic blend I think, and maybe an additive there as well.

I am excited to see where we can go this summer with a truck that can actually pull my camper.

I am open to more advice and guidance, as long as we can get past the dont buy it....your and dumb *** for buying it kinda stuff.

McG

Last edited by McGanksta; 02-14-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Good looking rig !

Wish her the best!!!

Denny

Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Hey, that’s a nice truck. I had one, and I loved it. I only sold it when I didn’t need to haul or tow anymore. I was always a little Leary of the 6.4, but it never gave me any trouble. And if it does, you can deal with it then. I followed the severe duty Mtce schedule, and ran RT6 - 0w40 or 5w40. I always figured absolute worst case engine scenario, I’d need $15k for a whole new engine and turbo etc. I also had the super duper platinum (whatever it was called) warranty from Ford. It would have just run out last April, and it covered absolutely everything.

Their are some good videos (some like him, some don’t - but he does give good insight into the 6.4) by powerstrokehelp.com - Bill Hewitt.

It might be worth it to send an oil sample to black stone, just to see what they say.

They’re a nice truck. Good luck with it!

Cheers, 🍻

Old 02-14-2021, 11:50 PM
McGanksta
Senior User
Originally Posted by JJF20
Hey, that’s a nice truck. I had one, and I loved it. I only sold it when I didn’t need to haul or tow anymore. I was always a little Leary of the 6.4, but it never gave me any trouble. And if it does, you can deal with it then. I followed the severe duty Mtce schedule, and ran RT6 - 0w40 or 5w40. I always figured absolute worst case engine scenario, I’d need $15k for a whole new engine and turbo etc. I also had the super duper platinum (whatever it was called) warranty from Ford. It would have just run out last April, and it covered absolutely everything.

Their are some good videos (some like him, some don’t - but he does give good insight into the 6.4) by powerstrokehelp.com - Bill Hewitt.

It might be worth it to send an oil sample to black stone, just to see what they say.

They’re a nice truck. Good luck with it!

Cheers, 🍻
Rear breaks and oil change are next so I can get the oil in I want.I need to look at what is involved so I can change it my self.
After that, I will send a sample in, I know Blackstone sends you the sample equipment, cant find anywhere if Oil Analyzers does or not.
McG

Old 02-15-2021, 06:10 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Large Marge
Love it, your going about it the proper way, one of the best looking new Ford trucks they made.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:42 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice looking truck, I hope you got a good one and the 5yr warranty is a nice comfort blanket also. Mine was the nicest truck I had ever had and runs circles around my 7.3. Defiantly stick to the severe maintenance schedule. Fuel filters every 10K, look for metal shavings in the fuel bowls. I ran the Ford fuel additive and it seemed to be fine. I ran Chevron Delo full synthetic in mine. I hope she gives you many trouble miles of service.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:56 AM
McGanksta
Senior User
I averaged less than 10k miles a year on my 1500, so I think Marge will get less, because I will start using my Wife's car for the "quick trips".
Putting together my shopping list for the first oil change, I will do them myself, but with my driving habits, it might only end up being 2 changes a year, 6 months between changes be ok?

Looks like Rotella T6 year round, Motorcraft Filters, and fuel filters every 2nd change
Motorcraft fuel additive, and still looking for a Oil additive
Also the Quick drain valve so I do not have to take off the plug every time.
Now to find a local spot to take my used oil.

McG

Old 02-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by McGanksta
I averaged less than 10k miles a year on my 1500, so I think Marge will get less, because I will start using my Wife's car for the "quick trips".
Putting together my shopping list for the first oil change, I will do them myself, but with my driving habits, it might only end up being 2 changes a year, 6 months between changes be ok?

Looks like Rotella T6 year round, Motorcraft Filters, and fuel filters every 2nd change

McG
Not sure around you but my Autozone, O’Riellys, Advance all take used oil. Cant show up with 30 gallons but have gotten rid of my 4 gallons at a time no problem. My town also has a environmental center when we can take brush, tires, paint and oil. Just a few thoughts.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:59 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McGanksta

McG
Do you know of anybody with an used oil furnace, my neighbor has one, he's always grateful when I bring him over a bunch of oil.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:00 AM
bobr123
Mountain Pass
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Very nice. Looks brand new.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:07 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Oil changes are a breeze. 15 minutes tops.

Consider installing a fumoto valve on your pan to replace the plug. It's a lever type drain that stays on the pan permanently.

Use Motorcraft filter only!!!

I purchased the correct socket for the cap and keep a ratchet, short extension and the socket in a sock in the glovebox so I have it on the road as well and don't have to search my tool box.

I always buy an "Auto log" to record any and all maintenance with part numbers and mileage. I use 5-40 in the fall and 15-40 in the spring. That schedule puts me right at 10k annually.

Denny

Old 02-17-2021, 09:12 AM
McGanksta
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Oil changes are a breeze. 15 minutes tops.

Consider installing a fumoto valve on your pan to replace the plug. It's a lever type drain that stays on the pan permanently.

Use Motorcraft filter only!!!

I purchased the correct socket for the cap and keep a ratchet, short extension and the socket in a sock in the glovebox so I have it on the road as well and don't have to search my tool box.

I always buy an "Auto log" to record any and all maintenance with part numbers and mileage. I use 5-40 in the fall and 15-40 in the spring. That schedule puts me right at 10k annually.

Denny
This is exactly what I was going to do!
Almost every word of it!

Old 02-17-2021, 12:32 PM
McGanksta
Senior User
While I am thinking about it because I just put a gallon of the Motorcraft Fuel booster in my amazon cart, can I used the Motorcraft anti-gel additive at the same time?
I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I am new and want to have her for at least a few years

McG

Old 02-17-2021, 12:48 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
The answer is yes.

In the quantities as prescribed.

Denny

Old 02-17-2021, 01:19 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Let me expand on this just a bit since your new to Diesel.

Unlike a gasser which formula remains constant thru-out the year, diesel is formulated with different temperature conditions in mind. The producers switch from summer blend to winter blends and add agents meant to prevent gelling.
That said, many things in your booster are allready in place and simply using motorcraft fuel conditioner for summer/winter, red cap/black cap will suffice.

Never hurts to be proactive but the line in the sand is overspending on treatments you really won't enjoy any effect with.

More important is where you buy your fuel, how well the pumps filters are maintained and the volume they sell. My rule is to buy from the same location when possible and read the inspection stickers on the pump. This will also reflect when the grade configuration is changed to winter blend.

You will notice that winter blend reduces your MPG slightly. Don't be alarmed, it's normal.

Purge your aft fuel filter monthly for water into a mason jar and allow it to settle overnight to see your quality, (I do mine the 1st day every month). This will indicate how well your fuel is being treated and filtered by the station you use. Give it a few months as your initial purges could be residual if the PO wasn't johny on the spot for this procedure. Don't forget to cycle your key on 5 times to purge air anytime you have the system open for ANY reason.

As I mentioned above in a prev post. I also have (in my tool sock) the correct socket for the fuel side as well and carry a spare primary and secondary filter for on road emergencies. I renew fuel filters every fall with my oil change to keep in step with the heavy service schedule. Again, and I'll shout it!!! Motorcraft only.

Hope it helps!!

Denny
BTW, the aft filter is an MF'r to get at so keep whatever extensions or tool that works for you in the truck for emergencies. JS

Quick Reply: The Adventures of Large Marge