1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

226 Clutch Housing (Bell Housing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
226 Clutch Housing (Bell Housing)

I am trying to install a cast bell housing (which came on a HD Warner 3 speed transmission assy) to the back of a 1949/1950 226 H engine. This cast bell housing was removed from a '48/'49 226 H that had a cracked block and was being scrapped. As I am aligning the pins in the block with the clutch housing I notice that the even though the two upper housing bolt holes on the outside of the clutch housing align perfectly, only three of the four inner mounting holes are aligning with the block bosses. The fourth inner hole (upper left standing behind the block) is off by about a 1/2". To make matters worse, the three bolt holes that do align with the block are threaded as are the block bosses. The 4 smaller bolts that mount to the oil pan bosses also line up perfectly and are properly threaded. Has anyone else run across this issue before? I know of a few work arounds to handle the threading situation but I still don't understand why it doesn't match up properly and why I even have a "thread" situation. Any ideas why?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A picture would help.

Is it possible the three bolt holes that appear to be threaded, are just cut from someone hanging the BH on the block while putting the bolts in or taking them out? Like the bolt threads just cut into the sides of the holes a little? I can't think why the BH holes would ever be threaded, except perhaps to break a stuck BH free of the block. Even then I'd expect them to be threaded a size larger than the holes in the block.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
A picture would help.

Is it possible the three bolt holes that appear to be threaded, are just cut from someone hanging the BH on the block while putting the bolts in or taking them out? Like the bolt threads just cut into the sides of the holes a little? I can't think why the BH holes would ever be threaded, except perhaps to break a stuck BH free of the block. Even then I'd expect them to be threaded a size larger than the holes in the block.
At the moment I only have a picture of the BH while it is attached to the bad engine. I'll see if I can get a better one later today. I did discover that if I put the lower two 7/16" mounting bolts into the block, that even with the lock washer removed, the bolt heads interfere with the flywheel. So, since both sides of the holes are threaded, I installed the bolts from the engine side and the flywheel turns without a problem. Therefore, either the bolts go in from the engine side or I should have some extremely thin headed bolts.
I also did some research in the parts book and it seems like it calls for (2) 7/16-14 x 1 1/4" bolts and (2) 7/16-14 x 1" bolts for a total of 4. This is what I am using so I am wondering if the extra holes are for mounting the BH on different engine types. The BH has no part numbers cast into it so I am not sure exactly how to identify it. Unlike my stamped steel 226 BH, this cast BH mounts directly to the engine and not to an adapter plate.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Coming from the front with those two makes sense. Looking at the picture of the H-series in the manual, it appears to show just that.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
You may have a V8 bell housing. The difference between the 6 and 8 is in the top two holes.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
That looks a lot like a G six bellhousing. Could the early H sixes be different?
The H bellhousings that I have had are stamped steel. I used one on my Mercedes. The six bellhousing is taller than the V8 also.
Mark

Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
That looks a lot like a G six bellhousing. Could the early H sixes be different?
The H bellhousings that I have had are stamped steel. I used one on my Mercedes. The six bellhousing is taller than the V8 also.
Mark
That was my thought that it might be from a "G" series 226 but I am unaware if the back sides of the block are different. Unfortunately, the engine that the trans was removed from is already scrapped so I can't compare. The top 2 holes align perfectly so if 38 Coupe is correct, this shouldn't be a V8 housing. I guess I will take the chance that the four 7/16-14 bolts that do align with the help of the four smaller bolts that bolt through the oil pan will be strong enough to keep me from having any issues.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm watching this with interest as I have the same kind of issue with my 51. I have installed a 46 226 with a 51 spur gear 4 speed and bell housing. Interested to see what everyone thinks. I will be building the 51 226 but picked up the running 46 with 30k miles for less than $100. Just concentrating on the truck itself for now.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 51fred
I'm watching this with interest as I have the same kind of issue with my 51. I have installed a 46 226 with a 51 spur gear 4 speed and bell housing. Interested to see what everyone thinks. I will be building the 51 226 but picked up the running 46 with 30k miles for less than $100. Just concentrating on the truck itself for now.
OK then, the question seems to be at this point, is the bolt pattern on the rear of a "G" series 226 block different than the bolt pattern on the rear of a "H" series 226 block? If so, then I think we may have our answer. I would be willing to bet that if the "G" series is slightly different that the bosses on the block are not threaded which is why the BH lower holes are.

Do we have any 226 experts that can chime in? Perhaps jmadsen? He seems to see quite a few 226's . . .

Old 01-08-2015, 01:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
The guys on the Ford Barn would likely know, I put it up over there.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1012183

Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
The guys on the Ford Barn would likely know, I put it up over there.
G-series vs H-series Flat Six BH's - The Ford Barn
Thanks Ross!!

Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master

The back plate that bolts to the engine block. Looking at it from the transmission side, the top of the photo is the top of the plate.

The bottom of the photo is the bottom of the bellhousing.

This is a stamped steel H series 226 truck bellhousing. The two larger holes toward the lower right hand corner is the top.

This bellhousing is 3 3/4" tall from the back plate to the transmission mounting surface. The back plate is 1/4" thick. For comparison a V8 bellhousing is 3 1/32" tall.
According to the Green book that I have, the G series bellhousings and the H series bellhousings are different. My question is; is the bolt pattern on the early, say '47 and '48, H series different than '49-'51? Or did the bolt pattern change when Ford went from the cast iron bellhousing that Cougar54 has to the steel one that I have?

Old 01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
That second post is confusing to me as well. I took a few pictures today so the actual BH can be seen.

The clutch link part of the housing is shown in the one picture so you can see what that looks like. It is not bolted on but is just hanging from the alignment dowels.
The second and third picture show where I had to bolt both lower holes from the engine side due to the clearance issue with the flywheel if bolted from inside.

The right side upper hole in the housing does actually align but would only be able to be bolted from the flywheel side and I am afraid it would interfere with the flywheel if I did this. The left upper inside hole shown in the picture above is not even close to aligning with the block as you can see the red/orange color of the block in the hole. The hole below it is the alignment dowel and the hole below that is the lower mounting bolt which is bolted from the engine side.

I am not sure anyone knows what this BH was actually made for but at this point I guess the only actual relevant question is will the four 7/16" bolts that I can install along with the four 3/8" bolts in the oil pan bracket be strong enough to handle the load.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
That sure looks like a G series bellhousing. That is a G transmission half bell. The H series transmissions were the same as the V8s with the round outside profile. The G series six used a transmission that was unique to the G series six.
Your other six must have been a real early H series that had the same bellhousing as a G. You need a bellhousing like the one I posted photos of.
Mark

Quick Reply: 226 Clutch Housing (Bell Housing)