1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Sand blaster or Soda blaster to clean F250 fame and cab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 AM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sand blaster or Soda blaster to clean F250 fame and cab?

Hello all. Let me start by saying I have no experience with media blasting. I have an 85 F250 stripped down to its frame and it's covered in mud and oil filth. I had been using a paint scraper to remove the approximately 1/8" of mud from the flat parts of the frame, but this doesn't remove all the mud and I can't get into all the nooks and such. I have a needler that I've been using and that helps somewhat, but is also slow.

I am considering buying a soda blaster or a sand blaster. After tackling the frame I have to remove paint and crud from the bottom of the cab as there are rust (hole) issues that need to be resolved there.

Regarding the frame, my goal is to remove the mud. I am not overly concerned with the rust as I plan on painting with POR15 after the mud and filth is removed. Regarding the cab, my goal is to remove the filth, grime, and paint so I can evaluate the damage and install replacement panels.

My questions to you fine gentlemen:

1. Soda blaster or sand blaster?

2. Regarding soda blasting, would a soda blaster be able to remove that "1/8" of mud from the frame? Would I have to clean the frame before painting it? Washing it with water at the moment is not an awesome idea as it's about 5 degrees F outside.

3. If sandblasting, can I sandblast other components on the truck without worrying about damage? I would media blast the diffs and other drivetrain components to remove dirt / filth.

4. If sandblasting the cab what media would you suggest to remove dirt, paint, and light rust without causing damage?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Soda is expensive and won't take off the mud and crud on the frame. You will have to use another media. If you are doing this outside and you wear a good filter and do your best to stay upwind, sand might be ok. However, sand causes silicosis when you breathe the dust, so be careful. An option is coal slag, which is sold by several names like Black Beauty and Black Diamond. It is fairly inexpensive, but does cost more than sand. And it's angularity really cleans well.

Having said that, if you use either sand or slag on flat body panels you will probably warp them. It is ok for corners or other spots that have strength to them, but doors, fenders, hoods, etc can easily be warped due to the heat generated by the abrasive. That's where soda comes in as it won't heat the metal. But, it is slow to clean and, as said, is expensive.

Why not pressure wash things before blasting? You might get a lot of the mud and oil off with that, especially if you use a detergent.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 AM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Thank you very much for the input. Actually pressure washing was the very first thing I tried to do. Maybe it's my pressure washer, but it didn't have much affect on the mud.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Do you happen to have a suggestion regarding the face mask? Based upon your input it probably makes sense to use black beauty for the frame and then perhaps something else (walnut shells?) for the cab.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
c2z4s9 - You should really use the after each post when writing your replies that seem to be directed at specific people... otherwise, you're writing with no context and people have no idea WTF you're talking about or to whom....

Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
This is the one I have: Eastwood

Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ctubutis
c2z4s9 - You should really use the after each post when writing your replies that seem to be directed at specific people... otherwise, you're writing with no context and people have no idea WTF you're talking about or to whom....

ok, no problem. Only Gary had responded to my question so I figured it was obvious I was talking to him.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by c2z4s9
ok, no problem. Only Gary had responded to my question so I figured it was obvious I was talking to him.
It is if you're reading the thread from start to end... but if you're only reading all new posts in all recently-updated threads, then not so much.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Soda is expensive last time I purchased a 40 lb bag for $65.

You can buy Black Diamond sand media for $15 for a 50 lb bag.

Now this is the thing to remember, soda has its uses, it is great at removing paint from a vehicle and it wont hurt glass or bright metal trim. Down side is it will not remove rust.

Sand on the other hand is great at removing paint and rust but it will also eat out body filler, seam sealers, as well as damage glass and bright metal trim.

If you are blasting a frame I would use sand but I would not use it near anything rubber such as the suspension bushings, ball joings, swaybars, etc. Its not as forgiving as soda is and will damage it in quick order.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ctubutis
It is if you're reading the thread from start to end... but if you're only reading all new posts in all recently-updated threads, then not so much.

OK, sorry about that.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Hello all. Let me start by saying I have no experience with media blasting. I have an 85 F250 stripped down to its frame and it's covered in mud and oil filth. I had been using a paint scraper to remove the approximately 1/8" of mud from the flat parts of the frame, but this doesn't remove all the mud and I can't get into all the nooks and such. I have a needler that I've been using and that helps somewhat, but is also slow.

I am considering buying a soda blaster or a sand blaster. After tackling the frame I have to remove paint and crud from the bottom of the cab as there are rust (hole) issues that need to be resolved there.

Regarding the frame, my goal is to remove the mud. I am not overly concerned with the rust as I plan on painting with POR15 after the mud and filth is removed. Regarding the cab, my goal is to remove the filth, grime, and paint so I can evaluate the damage and install replacement panels.

My questions to you fine gentlemen:

1. Soda blaster or sand blaster?

2. Regarding soda blasting, would a soda blaster be able to remove that "1/8" of mud from the frame? Would I have to clean the frame before painting it? Washing it with water at the moment is not an awesome idea as it's about 5 degrees F outside.

3. If sandblasting, can I sandblast other components on the truck without worrying about damage? I would media blast the diffs and other drivetrain components to remove dirt / filth.

4. If sandblasting the cab what media would you suggest to remove dirt, paint, and light rust without causing damage?

Thanks for all your help!

here are a couple things to consider.

Do you have the need for a sandblaster/soda blaster after this project?

What would someone charge to do this job for you?

Do you have a large enough compressor to run the sand/soda blaster?

Now for some of your questions.

You NEED a fresh air system. A respirator is NOT enough.

As for sandblasting the frame, you will not find a better way to CLEAN and kill the rust.

Same goes for the bottom of the cab.

I have a LARGE sandblaster and a LARGE compressor. I do this sort of thing all the time. Here is one of the projects

Sandblasted

Primed with POR15 and topcoated with tractor black

And the frame /axles / dump body got the same treatment

Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Disel Brad ... holy #(*%! that looks amazing, and it makes me feel completely unprepared to tackle this project.... let me try to answer some of your questions.

Probably small jobs, media blasting rims and things. I don't expect I will need to conquer many more truck frames.

I have no idea, and have no idea where to start looking to find someone. Keep in mind the truck cost about $1000.

Not sure. 1.5 hp, 30 gallon tank. It's by no means a professional air compressor.

I have a question or two for you if you have time.

You say that I need a fresh air system. Is that if one is using sand as a media or it doesn't matter what media one uses? I can't get by using a respirator if using black beauty or some non sand solution?

If media blasting is a bad idea because I am ill equipped and lack the necessary equipment to accomplish my goal, then what are my options? I still have a truck frame covered with crud to clean. Am I back to paint scrapers and wire wheels?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Disel Brad ... holy #(*%! that looks amazing, and it makes me feel completely unprepared to tackle this project.... let me try to answer some of your questions.

Probably small jobs, media blasting rims and things. I don't expect I will need to conquer many more truck frames.

I have no idea, and have no idea where to start looking to find someone. Keep in mind the truck cost about $1000.

Not sure. 1.5 hp, 30 gallon tank. It's by no means a professional air compressor.

I have a question or two for you if you have time.

You say that I need a fresh air system. Is that if one is using sand as a media or it doesn't matter what media one uses? I can't get by using a respirator if using black beauty or some non sand solution?

If media blasting is a bad idea because I am ill equipped and lack the necessary equipment to accomplish my goal, then what are my options? I still have a truck frame covered with crud to clean. Am I back to paint scrapers and wire wheels?

Look up moble sandblasting in your area. A typical frame and axle sandblast should not be more than $500

Hell even if he were to the bottom of the cab that should take 20 min more.
And a 1.5 HP compressor is NOT enough. I have a 10hp 34CFM electric compressor and I was not over thrilled at how it handle the small 100b sandblast pot I had. That is why i went to a 300b pot and a 175cfm diesel compressor.

As for a respirator I don't know the exact nomenclature for that is approved and what it not. I would do A LOT of research on what is approved because it can and WILL kill you.

If all you have at your disposal is putty knives, wire brushes and a power washer, well that is all you have. If it is too cold to use the power washer, it it too cold to paint

Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM
likenew02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job. That looks great.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:35 PM
likenew02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure Washer

What PSI is yours? If it's not gas, that is why you can't remove the mud. Rent a good powerful gas one. I recommend spraying it with Simple Green and letting that soak for the grease before pressure washing. The rust can be treated and turned into a paintable metal that won't rust. Then you don't have to buy anything.

Quick Reply: Sand blaster or Soda blaster to clean F250 fame and cab?