Bronco II Ford Bronco II

What shocks should I get?

Old 07-20-2003, 06:32 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I revamped my springs I noticed the shocks were old, 1986 to be exact. That's right the original shocks were still on there. I guess this former pavement pounder, never saw trails before I introduced it to its new best friend "the trail" cause it bounces on it's Rough country springs but is less than forgiving with pot holes.So I am asking all my fellow Ford drivers to tell me what shocks you think I should go with. Personally I am leaning to KYB Gas-A-Just. Due to Great satisfaction from my high school Blazer and relitivly smooth ride on east Texas back roads.
I know that a question like this needs some Info, so here goes. It's a 1986 B2 XLT 4x4 that is driven 7.5 miles to work and back and enjoys mild Trails, lots of mud and ocasional hills and inclines. Proudly sports a baby seat every now and then and sits with a 2 inch spring lift, and wants to retain stock wheels and simular size tires.
Well that sums it up please guide me O'wise ones.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:35 PM
b2_tim
Senior User

Since you are still running stock shocks I'll suggest the Monroe Sensatrac. Huge improvement over the Ford stockers. Easy to find (Advance), and other places. Mine have lasted over 5 years, and they are not to expensive. Just my .02, I bet you get more opinions. By the way, my leaf springs are doing well, just noticed a little noise from spring to spring contact, but doing fine.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

b2_tim, I am glad that your springs are are working for you, mine are doing great. I think I will go for the KYB shocks after all, cause I am just old school and stick to what I know from experience. I am certian that monroe would have been a good choice too.
Oh yeah for the spring noise have you tried to put rubber or any thing between the places that make noise?

Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 PM
b2_tim
Senior User

Hey that sounds like a fine idea. I'll see if I can find some high density stuff that can take the compression load lying around. LOL with the KYB's they shoud work fine.

Old 07-26-2003, 02:46 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

I never put anything over 31s on my BIIs and always put $20 lifetime shocks from Autozone on them. One thing I did do, is ream out the rear axle shock mounts and put full size Bronco shocks on the rear. They worked and fit well.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:18 PM
Jrock909
Posting Guru

I wouldn't put anything but bilsteins on my vehicle, I took my monroe sensitracs off of my truck and put 6 brand new bilstein shocks and wow what a difference in the ride and handling. Definitely no body roll no more. In my own opinion the shocks are expensive but they are lifetime so you are paying for the best!!! Just my 2 cents

Bleed Ford Blue

Old 07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

Thanks Jrock909 I already ordered the KYB's but if they dont pan out I'll look into Blistein shocks.

Search this Thread