1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"Belle" 1952 F-1 build thread.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
One of my favorite trucks here for sure. What part number wiper arms and blades did you change to? My wiper arms start flopping around like they're going to fly off at higher speeds.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
One of my favorite trucks here for sure. What part number wiper arms and blades did you change to? My wiper arms start flopping around like they're going to fly off at higher speeds.
Thanks to Ross' help I used Trico part number 51-062 arms available from O'Reilly auto. I could have used Trico blade 33-101 but chose to go with a marine blade instead. Sorry I don't have a part number right now as I didn't go to work today (20" of fresh snow, can wait till tomorrow).

Here is the thread about blades.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-problem.html

Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cobwebman
Amazing Mike just amazing.
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
Thanks for the update. Amazing truck!
Thanks for the compliments. It's nice being able to just enjoy driving Belle but I am missing the fun of doing projects. Friend just bought a 60 El Camino so maybe that will provide some distraction for awhile. Sure cheaper working on his than mine.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Some nice "finishing touches" on a great truck!

How do "marine blades" differ from automotive? Were they some you already had and wanted to use up, or do they have some different design?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
Thanks to Ross' help I used Trico part number 51-062 arms available from O'Reilly auto. I could have used Trico blade 33-101 but chose to go with a marine blade instead. Sorry I don't have a part number right now as I didn't go to work today (20" of fresh snow, can wait till tomorrow).

Here is the thread about blades.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-problem.html
Thanks, I will see if they have stiffer springs than the arms I currently have.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Some nice "finishing touches" on a great truck!

How do "marine blades" differ from automotive? Were they some you already had and wanted to use up, or do they have some different design?
Ross, the marine blades are 11.5" long so they cover more of the windshield. Also the Trico wipers have a large area where the arm attaches, this puts the arm about 1" off the glass.With the marine wipers the arm attaches very close to the blade so the arm is only about 1/5" off the glass, looks better in my opinion. Only problem is the arm for marine wipers is slightly wider than the Trico so the blade is loose. On mine I welded a marine arm end to the Trico arm at the correct angle.

Trico blade TRICO Classic 33-101 - Wiper Blade | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Marine blade 11.5" Deluxe Stainless Steel Curved Wiper Blade | Marinco

Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Oh, Marinco is the name of the company that makes the blade. When you said marine in thought it was a heavy duty wiper for boats that get a lot of wind, rain and waves!

The Marinco look more like the original wipers.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by abe
Oh, Marinco is the name of the company that makes the blade. When you said marine in thought it was a heavy duty wiper for boats that get a lot of wind, rain and waves!

The Marinco look more like the original wipers.
It is a marine blade also made by AFI. The arms from Trico put about twice the pressure on the blade as the arms that were on the truck. My reason for using the Marinco/AFI blades was as you said, they look more like the originals. It's also nice they wipe more of the windshield.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:55 AM
ingo
More Turbo
Received 150 Likes on 84 Posts
Mike,

i´m studying your build thread. For what do you need this block underneath your master?
I´m going to run discs in front and drums in rear, do i need it? For what is it important?
Some guys say you need it other says not

Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rimrock F1 (Mike)
Is there a reason that you didn't use the Marinco arm and only welded the end onto the Trico arm?

Philip

Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ingo
Mike,

i´m studying your build thread. For what do you need this block underneath your master?
I´m going to run discs in front and drums in rear, do i need it? For what is it important?
Some guys say you need it other says not

That block is a combination valve. It does several functions, acts a a proportioning valve to limit rear pressure to prevent rear lockup. It acts as a hold off valve so pressure starts going to the rear drums before the front discs and it provides the pressure check valve function. Nice because everything is in one valve. At the time I installed mine they were having production problems and it took three before I got one that would work. The others I have installed work fine. You don't have to use one but depending on your install will need other valves to give you the functions of this valve.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AZAV8
Rimrock F1 (Mike)
Is there a reason that you didn't use the Marinco arm and only welded the end onto the Trico arm?

Philip
The Marinco arm has a silver plastic cover over the mounting end of the arm that is kind of ugly. The Trico is polished stainless, just like the look of the Trico better.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 AM
rb76543
Junior User
Beautiful work. All of it. You have many amazing skills and that Rick is a master craftsman. And I am so jealous of the microscopic amount of rust you found. My truck rusts that much every month or so, it seems.

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2018, 03:58 AM
Ratty51F1
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Rimrock F1

I read through the whole thread and caught that you said your tire size was 255 60R16 and included a pic of the rear fender just after it went on... but also I remember you said the front tires were smaller but I can't find what their size was? I like the stance on your truck and I 'm trying to pick tire/wheel/wheel back spacing/rear axle flange to axle flange measurement now on my 51 and I am wondering if you would be so kind as to list what your tire/wheel/wheel b.s. is and any rear end width data you may have?

After doing some searches it seems there are always several members dealing with this very conundrum at the same time and after seeing how nice your truck came out it probably help more than a few of us from ordering wrong tire/wheel combos/rear end combos. Thanks for your time.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:23 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, Rick, just out of curiosity, why did you d3cide to go with a ‘53-‘56 crossmember instead of a ‘48-‘52 unit? I saw it mentioned a few times through the build, but never saw where you mentioned why.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Belle" 1952 F-1 build thread.