VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

2015 Veterans Network (VETNET) General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Veterans Network (VETNET) General Discussion

1) Continues the 2014 VETNET at FTE thread for the new year

2) Is intended to be a more serious thread than "CHAT", one that concerns veteran issues more directly, and topics of a nature other than random conversation.

3) Is mission oriented in that we look at what we want to do with the VETNET forum, it's organization, and where we see it going in the future (IE: Improvements and Suggestions)

4) Serves as an initial contact thread, in that questions about who we are, what we are, and why we are can be answered here.

~ I note that our original "MISSION STATEMENT" may be up for re-definition, because we have now moved into a new stage of VETNET development. We are no longer an 'orphan child' at FTE, but a recognized very large group within FTE as a whole, and therefore the original Mission Statement for VETNET that I crafted should be reviewed.

This is how I originally wrote our purpose as it stood when I was essentially operating on my own (UNODIR):

What it is:
The Veterans Network, or "VET NET" at FTE is a Social Group for Veterans here at FTE.
*NOTE that I do not say "OF" FTE, because we were always here, and always will be

A "VETERAN" is a current or prior member of the military services to include Coast Guard and National Guards and for our purposes I would like to expand that to also include Police, Fire, and Rescue personnel.

We also welcome members of their immediate family.

WHAT IT IS NOT:
VET NET is not a Chapter at FTE although VET NET members are also FTE members, and usually members of one of the Chapters of FTE

The reason for this is that first of all such a Chapter can not exist at FTE, nor is it necessary to create such a thing. The fellowship of veterans is a thing that is inherent by the very nature of our members and transcends everything that we do.

PURPOSE:
The reason for such a group within FTE is because Veterans are different at a fundamental level. We take care of our own, recognise one another no matter where we are, and have a mutual respect for our people that goes right to the core.

In addition - we have resources and options that an average citizen just does not have; tax free shopping, recreational facilities, and other onbase facilities as well as Veterans Administration options being only the tip of the iceberg.

In addition to the knowlege base at FTE, we have many skilled professions available (even free legal advice) that can be called upon at need. We are a group with a wealth of experience like few others - and these abilities we share as needed for those of us who need whatever we can offer in support.

We are the Brother and Sisterhood you joined when you took the oath at the MEP station.

Some of the above has now changed - the existence of an entire forum of our own has made us a "SOMETHING" here at FTE that I am unsure of the status of, but it is vastly improved over the somewhat "OUTLAW" methods under which I created VETNET long ago. It appears that one thing is certain - WE ARE HERE TO STAY!

Comments invited, in particular on how we might consider rewording what is in effect our "CHARTER"

~Wolfie

PS: I am very proud to have been a part of all of this, I can't begin to tell you what it means to me though I imagine all of you feel the same as I do about it inside. There are some things that we just do not have to think about to know that we should do them, and the feeling of having accomplished some great thing is amazing...

Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are no longer a social group. With the subforum, we now have a base of operations that considerably smooths out our discussion of issues affecting and affected by our veteran membership here at FTE.

As such, our mission should be phrased around that. VetNet is now a place for the vastly diverse veteran community of FTE to meet and help each other. Technical issues and local issues should, of course, be addressed in the appropriate forum. But for our brethren, we offer our unwavering assistance.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
We also can keep in mind base facilities available to most of us, such as auto hobby/craft shops, the commissaries and exchanges, special prices offered at base auto parts stores, and so on.

I think that the "What it is" and "What it is not" can be dispensed with now, except to say:

The VETERANS NETWORK, or "VETNET" is a place for the vastly diverse VETERAN Community at FTE to meet and help one another
*With many thanks to RL250 - I think you hit that nail dead on

That seems to work well...

I don't really think we need to define what a veteran is, either. So that doesn't have to be stated. We know who and what we are...

I DO like the PURPOSE portion of the mission statement, and I think it still works. So it becomes:

VETNET IS:
The VETERANS NETWORK, or "VETNET" is a place for the vastly diverse VETERAN Community at FTE to meet and help one another

Our Mission:
The reason for such a group within FTE is because Veterans are different at a fundamental level. We take care of our own, recognise one another no matter where we are, and have a mutual respect for our people that goes right to the core.

In addition - we have resources and options that an average citizen just does not have; tax free shopping, recreational facilities, and other onbase facilities as well as Veterans Administration options being only the tip of the iceberg.

In addition to the knowlege base at FTE, we have many skilled professions available (even free legal advice) that can be called upon at need. We are a group with a wealth of experience like few others - and these abilities we share as needed for those of us who need whatever we can offer in support.

We are the Brother and Sisterhood you joined when you took the oath at the MEP station.

Good? Not good enough? What do you think?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Our Mission:
In addition - we have resources and options that an average citizen just does not have; tax free shopping, recreational facilities, and other onbase facilities...

Good? Not good enough? What do you think?
I'm not sure if this is part of the mission statement or not. If it is, I have to disagree. I only have a 40% service-connected disability rating, am not retired, and do not have access to these resources nor do I have base privileges. I greatly miss that community, but as a non-retiree, I am not eligible to participate in that community since I left active-duty at the end of 1992.

I do think we need to realize that some Veterans do not have the same privileges as other Veterans. I do have access to the VAMC system, but that's where my access to resources begins and ends.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. I'm just stating my reality. I have found that the majority of the civilian population, my extended family and friends are included in this misconception, that "Veteran" = "Retired" and collect a pension of some kind. The misconception continues that all Veterans have access to base facilities and resources. This is simply not true.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:30 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
I think the discussion hinges on the word veteran. I consider anyone who was willing to take the oath and write that check a veteran, whether they served 20 or 6. Those who didn't retire or make it a career are still vets in my eyes - they were willing to step up when others didn't. They may not have all the benefits we retirees get but they get my respect and a hand salute.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Shawn, I'm not disputing the definition of "Veteran" or anything like that. I'm saying that not all Veterans have access to the resources Dutch mentioned in his post. My own family-members thought, at one time, that I had base privileges, with access to shopping, the movie theater, the gas station, the commissary, etc.

I wanted to ensure that misconception is not continued. I agree with you. Anyone who took the oath and wore a uniform, whether it be for one day or three decades, is a Veteran and has my respect as well.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Well then, how about:

In addition - many of us have resources and options that an average citizen just does not have; tax free shopping, recreational facilities, and other onbase facilities...

Or should we just drop that line altogether?

I don't want anyone to feel excluded in any way, and those who DO have those options already know that.

EDIT: Looking at what I just wrote, it does seem like it isn't necessary to mention, and doesn't apply to all of us. In a way I suppose it can be taken as a thorn in the sides of non-retired vets, and many if not most who didn't go the whole trip left the services for reasons having nothing to do with personal choice. There are also many who did not actually choose to BE IN military service, they got 'selected' - did what they had to do, and then went back to civilian life. Which is something I have always thought had to be a lot harder than going in because they wanted to...

Old 01-03-2015, 12:48 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
That change is fine. I also think saying something like:

"In addition, some veterans have options and access to resources that the average citizen does not have, in addition to Veterans Administration resources."

That's my nickel's worth.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
That looks to me like it says it well, without going too deep into it.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:30 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm cool with leaving it out all together or the mod proposed by ID. I'm good Wolfie

Old 01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
(?)

You nailed it right on target - THANK YOU!!!

I... have often had a problem with "Lone Ranger Syndrome"

It is high time I got over that, and learned to work with others better.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I got your back.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we just nominate the wolf for mod status here? I see him as much as the mods.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I agree. It's the "powers-that-be" that have to approve the nomination. Not sure how that process works for the site. I'm sure the current moderators would know whom to ask.

Quick Reply: 2015 Veterans Network (VETNET) General Discussion