1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Leak found... options?? Advice, please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Arrow Oil Leak found... options?? Advice, please.

With about 275K on the clock, it appears I've just started leaking oil at my turbo pedestal. I'll get a better look at it tomorrow and try to post a few pictures.

Additional symptoms... I have an engine vibration which just showed up, and I am suspecting a potential combination of loose injector(s) and/or worn UVCH wiring.

CONTEXT... I'm into some extra cash outlay every month for a while on a different issue. I'm also cripped up a bit with having had a temporary plate installed in my left hand (severe 5th metacarpal fracture - and THAT story is for another time, maybe), but I can still do a little work because I'm right handed. Additionally, I have repeat surgery coming up in another month or so to remove the temporary plate. Bottom line is that I really need to minimize expense on this repair. I also have to face the fact that I might just end up having to pay someone to do this work for me right now.

What might seem to be the least expensive repair? Just the pedestal o-rings? I'm also interested in getting rid of the EBPV which I know would require a new pedestal.

Logic tells me that this is the time to go ahead and install my bellowed uppipes, replace the passenger side fuel line, replace my UVC harnesses, replace my glow plugs, tighten the injectors, yada-yada-yada...). I can take care of the injector tightening, GP replacement, and fuel line because I already have the parts. The harnesses are a real potential for another $200 because I would also replace the VC gaskets just for good measure (given their life and mileage). I'm not so sure about trying the uppipes as I am still seriously planning to get rid of this truck and replace with a lower mileage 4wd 7.3 within the next 18 months... I would sort of rather hold onto the uppies for the replacement truck.

Anyway... what about the turbo options? I'll find out what kind of play the wheel has tomorrow, but I'm not suspecting much there as I've never noticed any in the past.

OK... chime in with things to consider and perspectives to weigh.

Thanks ahead of time for all your input.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Pete, it sounds like you already KNOW the answers, so just pull the pedestal and replace the o-rings. Deal with the rest if/when you have the funds and the hand is healed, or better yet, save all of that stuff except the o-ring replacements for the "new" 4x4.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a better chance that the EBP actuator is where the leak is coming from rather than just a pedestal o-ring.

If that's the case only 3 choices:

New EBV pedestal (bad choice)
Pedestal rebuild kit (limited success)
EBP delete

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 01-01-2015, 02:51 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Pete,
I have an extra EBP pedestal that your welcome to if you want to do the delete prcedure to one before your start taking the truck apart. I would do it for you since one of your paws is busted up but I'm working 13 hour days for the next week. It would be after that before I could work on it.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm with Bob. Leak is likely the EBP. Don't replace the pedestal, just plug and delete.

Of course you'll need new o-rings to re-install the pedestal after the delete.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
listen to bob and f-350-6 and save as much as you can for 4wd you want then let us know when you have it

Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselOrings
There is a better chance that the EBP actuator is where the leak is coming from rather than just a pedestal o-ring.

EBP delete
This is where mine was leaking also- Did the ebpv delete pedastal & new o-rings. Check your uppies while in there for soot or looseness - Good Luck Pete

Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I appreciate the confirmations, guys. I have plan, and now just need the parts to arrive and clear weather on weekends to do the job(s).

EBP delete

I've been thinking "delete" as well, and from what I could see earlier today, I believe that the EBP actuator is the culprit as well. The order for my list of necessary parts is in your IN box.

Originally Posted by F350-6
I'm with Bob. Leak is likely the EBP. Don't replace the pedestal, just plug and delete.

Of course you'll need new o-rings to re-install the pedestal after the delete.

Even though I'm trying to control my funds, I'm going with the new pedestal and the help of my sons as a combo effort for maximizing effective repair while avoiding paying more extra in having someone else do it for me. I can use some of the avoided labor costs to go towards a simpler parts replacement approach.

Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Pete,
I have an extra EBP pedestal that your welcome to if you want to do the delete procedure to one before your start taking the truck apart. I would do it for you since one of your paws is busted up but I'm working 13 hour days for the next week. It would be after that before I could work on it.

Very kind offer, Paul, and I am very grateful. I think I can manage the necessary grunting for parts replacements, though, through a combination of my one good hand and my 18yo son as a helper (or, more likely, vice-versa, with ME being the helper).

Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are two sets of O-rings to replace. Just wanted to make sure you knew before ordering......

Edit: You can get a non-EBPV pedestal from Clay if you want to go that route.......

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garret...estal-99-5-03/

Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks, Rich. Clay's pedestal is not in stock at the moment, so I ordered all my goodies from Bob @ DOR. Bob's o-ring kit comes with both pairs of o-rings, too... he thinks of everything!!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
M-S-G
Senior User

EBP delete
Why does everyone hate EBPV? Does it really not help at all?
I love the dirty looks of confusion people give me when warming up in a parking lot after snowboarding.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by M-S-G
I love the dirty looks of confusion people give me when warming up in a parking lot after snowboarding.
I didn't hate it just didn't need it since I live down south. By eliminating something I didn't need I got rid of one possible source of an oil leak, air restriction coming out of the turbo, and something else mechanical that could get hung in the closed position.

If i towed and needed it for a brake or lived up north where temps are much colder I would have kept it.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Pete if you can give me notice on the weekend I am only a few hours from near Chattanooga.
Be glad to grunt for you if my schedule allows. Be a great opportunity to learn on someone else's truck. LOL

Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by M-S-G
It's like holding your boot against your tailpipe to try to get the thing to warm up faster!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a little weird, I just tune it out like some people that annoy me,but sure does a good job warming the engine in the north west winters.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak found... options?? Advice, please.