1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

!!!HELP!!!! Broken down & without a ride or clue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first question....although I have been reading the different forums for quite some time. My 02 F150 SuperCrew is in the shop, has been since 8am Monday, June 30. The 5.4L engine is making a terrible sound almost like its low on oil and knocking. None of the guys there can figure out where the noise is coming from. Its not the oil, they have checked several different things. At first they thought it was the chrankshaft...it checked out ok...then they thought it was a cylinder head...no problem there...none of the mechanics or the shop foremen can figure out what the problem is. They have called the Ford Tech hotline to try and get some help and are all still stumped. They have been told to take off the timing cover and look at several things there and if all else fails, they are going to replace either the block or the whole engine depending on what they come up with. Just found out today that it is nothing in the timing cover area. Now they are just sitting around waiting to get ahold of Ford to find out what to do. Believe me, I'm glad Ford is standing behind the warranty, but with only 35,000 miles on the truck I am kind of worried what else my go wrong. Meantime, I'm without a vehicle. I asked about a loaner and they told me that if I didn't by the vehicle from the dealership then they would NOT provide a vehicle. I'm told it may be another week and I don't have a ride. They told me to try Hertz....IS THIS NORMAL??? Doesn't the warranty pay for a replacement vehicle or rental if the vehicle is in the shop for an extended period of time??? HELP!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 03:10 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts

If you had been ripped off for the "extended warranty" or as it should be called, insurance policy, you would have a loaner car. No dealership HAS to give you a loaner. However, in your case, they should provide you with one, since this is an obvious manufacturers defect. I would contact the Ford Zone Rep or Ford District Service Manager in your area and ask him/her for a loaner car. Be nice. Explain your situation. They will provide you with a loaner - I even got them to give me a dually with a 5th wheel hitch when I had a clutch go out just so I could pull my trailer. It can be done, but you have to ask nicely.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952
Monday - Friday 7 AM - 11 PM EST
Saturday 8 AM - 6 PM EST

Last edited by SDElwood; 07-07-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

THANKS.....I finally got ahold of someone at the local dealership and very calmly and nicely explained my situation...it's not a dually F350....it's a Focus, but at least it will get me around.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:42 PM
elwhoppo
Senior User

Hey Dude,

Glad they came through for you with a ride.

Sorry to hear about the problem with your truck. Got me and plenty more of us stumped, as well.

Please be sure to come back, and fill in the blanks for us, a you find out what they are going to do for you.

I hope you get a "NEW" engine Dude!!

Check into the "Lemon Law", if applicable, and how it applies to you, in your paticular State.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:57 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have spun the cam bearings.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Willy McCoy
Senior User

We bought Mrs *****'s '97 Chevy Cheyenne used at a Ford Dealer. Right after we bought it, the ABS started acting up. They gave us a Focus to drive about while they were sorting it out. Then 8000 miles later the auto trans died. The Ford place loaned us another Focus while they had it farmed out to a tranny shop.

We haven't had another problem with the Cheyenne, but I'm thinking that Ford Dealer was trying to tell us something.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Fordfleet
New User

Originally posted by BroncoGuy84
If you had been ripped off for the "extended warranty" or as it should be called, insurance policy, you would have a loaner car. No dealership HAS to give you a loaner...
If he had an extended warranty, it STILL wouldn't have provided a loaner/rental car. The car is still under FACTORY warranty, and the extended warranty would only apply after the factory warranty has run out.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru

Originally posted by elwhoppo
Check into the "Lemon Law", if applicable, and how it applies to you, in your paticular State.
This is only for when the dealership tries at least three seperate times to fix one thing on the vehicle and doesnt succede.......not when they cant figure out what is wrong. That is just their stupidity.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:18 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts

"We haven't had another problem with the Cheyenne, but I'm thinking that Ford Dealer was trying to tell us something."

Yeah... that a Focus is better than ANY Chevy.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:39 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

hey guys....thanks for your response. I'm still left in the dark about the whole thing...Luckily, I know the guy that's working on the truck. He told me this morning that the engineers are having him do all kinds of stuff to it. Said he had tore it all down and that he is now putting it back together and will see if it holds pressure. Said he has no idea what is going on and why Ford is dragging their feet on the deal, but said that he will keep looking. He said that they are all completely stumped and never seen anything like this. I knew I shouldn't have traded in the '99 F250 SuperCab w/ 7.3L ....and I am leaning seriously toward trading it back in on another 7.3L.

thanks,
david

Old 07-08-2003, 04:54 PM
elwhoppo
Senior User

I'm kind'a just wondering if your "mystery problem" vehicle will now appear on some computerized listing, that may effect your trade in value.

I think there exists such a listing that reflects the Vin #'s of vehicles, that have had unusual and major problems, to protect potential Owner's. But, I'm not to sure....

Old 07-08-2003, 09:58 PM
03f150man
Elder User

are the shop guys your personal friends or are you assuming they are truthful. some of the things they "checked" dont quite coincide with the symptoms and now the guy tore it down and he still doesnt know what is causing the "terrible knocking sound". how about piston slap and a bad piston/cylinder wall. or maybe a spun cam bearing as someone mentioned below. on the surface the ford guys seem to be trying the right thing but i would keep a close eye on them and visit with some other independent mechancis. Keep all documentation they give you, make notes (with dates) of everything they tell you. (shop people and ford rep conversations). your truck is only a 1,000 miles from being out of warranty; now is the time to go the extra mile and do all you can to preserve your chance for any required claim after 36,000 miles. try posting on ford flat rate. com technicians site with your problem and see what they say. good luck. Without seeing your truck or knowing the people who are working on it , you have told me enough that you should be wary. (in my opinion) do a search on 5.4L piston slap as i think those symptoms are similiar to what you are experiencing.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

03f150man,

thanks for your input...I just got off the phone with the shop today and was told that they put everything back together and that pressure was holding at 90. I was told ford specs call for 45-50. He did say that it was with my engine cold and that it would drop quite abit with it warm. I was also told today that a ford field engineer would be here in the next couple of days and that they wanted to look at it before anything else was done. They have evidentally been telling them to try different things and none have seemed to work. The actual guy working on my truck is the son of some of our good friends. I have met and talked with him many times and feel very secure in what he is doing and telling me...he keeps telling me that its the engineers and ford (corporate) guys that are dragging their feet on the deal. As you said, I am VERY concerned about the fact that I only have 1000 miles left after they get it all put back together. At this point, I am very seriously considering trading it in as soon as I can get it out of the shop (...but who knows when that will be!)

Old 07-09-2003, 04:45 PM
elwhoppo
Senior User

Hey Dude,

I believe I am correct in saying that, you should not have a problem with the up and coming warrantee expiration, in relation to this paticular issue.

It is well documented that you have sought corrective repairs, at a bonifide Ford place of business, in advance of the warrantee expiration.

With the Field Engineer" coming down, I believe I would personally be there, and make a direct straight forward inquiry, as to how the current problems will effect your rights.

If he doesn't know, make him point you in the right direction. Get an answer!

You simply, must not come away from this matter, without a totally clear understanding of your rights.

Make them show you in black and white, to your satisfaction.

I believe they have to solve the problem now that they are well aware of it.

They could work on it every other day for the next year, and your warrentee, as it applies, would still be good, simply because the problem(s) occured during the existing warrantee period.

They can not simple abandon you, and your vehicle, because the Warrantee is expiring.

Get your position/rights in black and white....

You should have a copy of your warrantee, as part of your original sales documents.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:08 PM
retired2001
Elder User

Sure worries me, I just turned 40k on my 2002 S'crew w/5.4! I have had no problems at all on mine, though. Most dealers I have dealt with would at least "rent" you a car at a low price, when you're w/o a ride. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: !!!HELP!!!! Broken down & without a ride or clue!