Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The project begins, 12 Volt Conversion & Rewire

Old 02-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Vegas123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys.

Small questions: When I pulled out the rebuilt dizzy out of the box today it was missing its lock down bracket. They must have forgot to re-install it before shipping. I have a spare dizzy so I removed it from it and placed it on the new one. I was not sure where to locket it down since it does not have a mark marks to line it up against the dizzy. So I basically lined it up according to the one that was installed in the truck. The truck seems to want to start when I had it fully turned to the left, maybe I need to loosen the lock down bracket, readjust it so I can turn the dizzy further to the left???? advance = turn to the LEFT???? Retard = turn to the RIGHT?????

Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Or move the wires around the cap one hole.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
It does sound like you're a tooth off. They are tricky to get in the right clock because of the helical gear, needs a little windage as it is installed. Set #1 cylinder at TDC and see where the rotor points.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:04 PM
sere0501
Senior User
sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The good news is that you're close brother! Don't take it in because these guys will get you hooked up. From my expeience, it sounds like you're on the right track with the timing/dizzy not being right. That old flat 6 will roar (or tick) to life very soon I bet. Keep at it,

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
I can't tell from the pictures, but I just checked my plug wires and positions on the cap.

#1 is at 12:00, then clockwise, it's 5, 3, 6, 2, 4.

In your top pic, it looks like #1 is going into the cap where #4 goes.

Something to check anyway. Hope that helps.

And what is that white wire going to the coil where the red wire is attached? It looks like you're missing the wire to the other post on the coil from the distributor?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
sere0501
Senior User
sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I found a decent shot of mine, but I'm sure the manual spells out the order as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks for all the tips guys. I am sure that I have the cap on correctly as it has a slot on it to prevent it from being on wrong. The spark plug wires are in the correct order. I will triple check tonight to to be 1000% sure.

I will update my status tonight when I get home from work.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Well last night a good friend of mine came over and we tried to time the engine. My buddy has years of experience wrenching so he thought it would pretty easy work. Nope!!! Darn thing will still not start. We set top dead center on number one, double checked spark plug wire order, looked over the wiring I completed on the truck, checked for spark on all spark plugs, triple checked top dead center and dizzy on 1.

The engine does want to start (back firing thru carb) but will not start. I was thinking that maybe it was that the coil was not compatible with the protonix 12V that I have but I talked to the tech at protonix and he said that the motor should start even if it had the incorrect coil but that it would burn the unit out over time. I called the guy that sold me the kit to confirm but he has not called me back, waiting. I am thinking that the truck should have still started even with the wrong coil.

Hmmm, I also talked to a local engine builder and he said that the timing gear on these motors is made of fiber and that the timing gear could be worn?? He suggested I start with checking compression. I picked up a compression tester from my friend and plan on going through each cylinder tomorrow. So the new plan:

-Compression test! If thats ok (whats an acceptable range 80-110??)
-If compression checks out, chase down the coil as the culprit

My current coil is a Regitar USA RUC15 (No External "R" Needed)

If compression test is bad, remove the time gear cover and take pics, post on FTE and BEG for HELP!!!!

Victor

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Sorry to hear Victor. I don't remember, was the truck running before the switch to 12v neg ground? A fire needs 3 things; heat (spark which you have) oxygen, and fuel. How did you verify that it's getting fuel and the correct amount? Is it possible that it's getting too much? What do the plugs look like? Are they dry, clean, wet, black? What are the plugs gaped at? I remember after I switched to Pertronix that they suggested you increase the gap a bit. Just brainstorming here Victor......

Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Well yes and no.
The truck ran well for the 1.5 years that I have owned it. It always did take sometime to start when it was cold. But once warmed up I started OK. I think it was September/October when this all began.

One day it took me about 5 minutes of giving it gas and hitting the start button for it to finally start. I took it on a 5 minute run came home and parked it. I tried starting it and it would not start.

I called a friend that came over moved the dizzy around and the truck started. I drove to the store turned off loaded my groceries and the truck almost did not start, took a while. I got home tried starting it again and nothing.

That is when I decided to convert to 12v and rewire the truck.

I will check compression today and go from there.

If it is the timing gear how difficult of a repair is this??? Can a novice do it
?? I am up for the challenge??

I want to thank everyone that has contributed ideas and suggestions!!!! I have read them all and they really helped!

Victor

Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of49fordv8f4 has much to be proud of
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but do you have it on TDC on the compression stroke? With it backfireing thru the carb it sounds like you are a turn off and have TDC on the intake stroke. Very easy mistake.
Mark

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Hi,

Yes we check top dead center multiple times. I am going to have to wait till the weekend to test the compression in the engine. The one I picked up today does not work.

Will any standard compression tester work?? Does it need to be a specific size for the flathead 6?

I know of a possible flatehead 6 for sale. I may better off buying that motor and dropping it in.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 PM
sere0501
Senior User
I'm not sure about the compression tester, but I'm sure someone here can assist. I doubt you need an entire motor, but when is the next time you can buy another one? They are usually pretty cheap, so it's something to consider for parts or replacement in the future.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Hi guys,

Just an update and a question. Since the truck has not been wanting to start since October I finally decide the best thing to do was to remove the front lip so I could take a good look at the timing gear. Since I have it off I also plan on replacing the fuel line and cleaning up the engine.

Anyways I am assuming of the time gear did jump or slip (I tried timing it 20 times and its a no go!) that the timing marks located on bot of the gears will not match up??

Am I correct??

I was told that many of these were made of Fiber and that they are know to go out!

Thoughts??

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
For got to ask. These are the bolts that were holding the clip in the front. Looks like their better days are behind them.

Does any parts supply store carry them???

What have some of you guys replaced yours with??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The project begins, 12 Volt Conversion & Rewire

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.