1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm sounds when I open the door with the key.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:17 PM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alarm sounds when I open the door with the key.

I have a new to me 05 F350 dually with 6.0. When I open the door with the key the alarm goes off and the truck won't start. How do I shut this off so I can get in the truck with the key. I can't just leave the door unlocked all the time. It has the key less entry, but I have not set new numbers yet, and if I give the keys to a valet, I don't want to give them the door code too.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I can't say I have ever used my key to unlock the door. If you have the keypad your truck should/ is equipped with keyless entry an you can program up to 4 remotes to it. Buy a couple replacement remotes off eBay and use the heck out of them. If you have the manual the procedure is in there to program remotes try the programming process before buying the remotes just to confirm that your truck is equipped with the option.

How do you lock the truck? With the button or with the key? Try locking it with the key and then unlock it. Or push 8-9 at the same time it should lock all doors

Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 05F250DSL

How do you lock the truck? With the button or with the key? Try locking it with the key and then unlock it. Or push 8-9 at the same time it should lock all doors
I was locking the door with the inside button then shutting the door. Haven't even tried the keypad yet. First time I ever had this on a vehicle. So I just followed my normal procedure, put key in lock. Open door, start to slid in and alarm goes off. Can't figure out how to turn it off. Put key in ignition, no start. Same key works fine when the alarm is not going crazy. Now the truck won't start. Alarm keeps going off. Truck was shipped up from Salt Lake to Montana so I can't just take it back.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
I know years ago on Lincoln's if you went to the passenger door and locked then unlocked the door with the key it would shut off the alarm. Not sure if that still works. I've seen some vehicles when locked electronically if not unlocked electronically the alarm would go off. Another thought maybe duck you head under the dash and see if an aftermarket alarm/ remote start has been added.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
You absolutely need to determine what alarm is installed. Look under the dash near the steering wheel.

If it's a "factory" remote, it's malfunctioning in that it isn't detecting the key lock operation.

If it's aftermarket, it's probably not installed correctly in that the installer didn't account for the key lock switches.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The problem is not the key or anything. If you hit the lock button twice on the Ford remote, it activates the alarm. If you do not use the remote or lock pad to unlock the truck, it thinks there is a break in when you use the key. You will have to use the key to "start" the truck to override the alarm.

Per 2015 User's Manual

ANTI-THEFT ALARM (If Equipped)

The system warns you of an unauthorized entry to your vehicle. It triggers if any door or the hood opens without using the key, remote control or keyless entry keypad. The direction indicators flash and the horn sounds if the system triggers while the alarm is armed. Take all remote controls to an authorized dealer if there is any potential alarm problem with your vehicle.

Arming the Alarm

The alarm is ready to arm when there is not a key in the ignition. Electronically lock the vehicle to arm the alarm. The direction indicators flash once after you lock the vehicle. This indicates the alarm is in the pre-armed mode. It will fully arm in 20 seconds.

Disarming the Alarm

Disarm the alarm by any of the following actions:

• Press the power door unlock button within the 20-second pre-armed mode.
• Unlock the doors with the remote control or keyless entry keypad.
• Switch the ignition on or start the vehicle.
Use a key in the driver door to unlock the vehicle, then switch the ignition on within 12 seconds.

Note: Pressing the panic button on the remote control will stop the horn and signal indicators, but will not disarm the system.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 2008 SD the Ford alarms system will go off if you open the door any way except the FOB. The key pad or the key lock will unlock the door, but once you open the door, the alarm goes off. I understand there's a way to program that out, but I have never found any Ford person that knows how to do it. I've just learned to live with it that way.

Pap

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by pappy19
On my 2008 SD the Ford alarms system will go off if you open the door any way except the FOB. The key pad or the key lock will unlock the door, but once you open the door, the alarm goes off. I understand there's a way to program that out, but I have never found any Ford person that knows how to do it. I've just learned to live with it that way.

Pap
I think this is what is happening to me.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Per 2015 User's Manual

ANTI-THEFT ALARM (If Equipped)

The system warns you of an unauthorized entry to your vehicle. It triggers if any door or the hood opens without using the key, remote control or keyless entry keypad.
Well, he has an '05, not a '15..

I highlighted the key phrase out of your quote, though. Unlocking with a key is supposed to disarm the alarm. Using any of the three methods is an authorized entry.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
I was able to reset the factory code for the keyless entry and when I use the keypad the alarm does not sound, but it still does with the keys. I have ordered remote key fobs and will try with them when they arrive. Thanks to all for the info.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
You can't reset the factory code BTW. You can only add your own code the factory one will still work. I'm not quite sure why the newer vehicles do this unless it thinks someone is breaking in if not electronically unlocked.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
You can't reset the factory code BTW. You can only add your own code the factory one will still work. I'm not quite sure why the newer vehicles do this unless it thinks someone is breaking in if not electronically unlocked.
Ok, what I meant was I was able to use the factory code to get the doors unlocked without setting off the alarm

Old 12-24-2014, 05:23 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MightyThor
Ok, what I meant was I was able to use the factory code to get the doors unlocked without setting off the alarm
I did not mean to come off rude. You can add your own code but what I meant was the factory code will also work. I have never changed mine from the factory code it took me too long to remember it lol.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
I did not mean to come off rude. You can add your own code but what I meant was the factory code will also work. I have never changed mine from the factory code it took me too long to remember it lol.
Nope not rude. I realized my post was inacurate in that I did not reprogram, I found the factory code and was able to use it. The code listed by the previous owner didn't work.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 PM
MightyThor
Mountain Pass
I found the alarm module under the dash, It is a Ford factory unit with auto start. So now, not only do I have an alarm that keeps going off if I use my key to get in, I don't have the remote to start the truck.

Quick Reply: Alarm sounds when I open the door with the key.