Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Fuel pick up/ Ran out with 5 gallons 2014

Old 12-20-2014, 10:37 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fuel pick up/ Ran out with 5 gallons 2014

Window sticker says 36 gallons. Put 31 in it today. Have put 32 in on highway trip....

Parked facing down a slight incline on my driveway. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the gauge display on dash. Remote started, ran 5 minutes, walk out and it shuts off. Set to run 15 and does it all the time no problem.

Get in and try to start with key. Wont fire. Fuel gauge moves ever so slightly off E. No LOW FUEL display, display says 61 miles to empty and average around 12 mpg. Trip display says used 24 gallons. Think this wrong and doesn't figure remote starts and sitting there.

Back to running out. Truck shuts off and wont start. 5.0 4400 miles. Put 5 gallons of gas in and fires right up. Go straight to gas station, get 26 more in there. Figure 31 all together.

SO either a 31 gallon tank, or pick up for gas pump couldn't find last 5 gallons in truck on the incline?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
You had approximately 1 inch (maybe(?) 1½") of fuel covering the bottom of your fuel tank (IF you were on level ground). And ... Don't trust MTE or other computed fuel statistics. They are at best, close. Excerpted from the F-150 owner's manual ...
• MILES (km) TO E: This displays an estimate of approximately how far you can drive with the fuel remaining in your tank under normal driving conditions. Remember to turn the ignition off when refueling to allow this feature to correctly detect the added fuel. Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The running average fuel economy is re-initialized to a factory default value if the battery is disconnected.
What did you expect?

Why NOT to run your fuel tank so empty ...
  • undo/necessary stress on fuel pump ...
    • gasoline cools the fuel pump when it's submerged it.
    • pump is overworked trying to maintain PSI when fuel is slooshing-about.
    • over-heated fuel pumps have reduced service life.
  • you're probably inducing some intermittent fuel starvation to the engine.
  • increased moisture/condensation in fuel tank.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Many (most?) tanks have a certain amount of unusable fuel because the pickup doesn't extend all the way to the bottom. Five gallons sounds like a lot though.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:28 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Excerpted from the 2014 F-150 owner's manual ...
FUEL CONSUMPTION

Empty reserve is the amount of fuel remaining in the tank after the fuel gauge indicates empty. The amount of usable fuel in the empty reserve varies and should not be relied upon to increase driving range.

• The usable capacity of the fuel tank is the amount of fuel that can be added into the tank after the gauge indicates empty.

• The advertised capacity is the total fuel tank size. See Capacities and Specifications (page 295). It is the combined usable capacity plus the empty reserve.

• Due to the empty reserve, you may not be able to refuel the full amount of the advertised capacity of the fuel tank even when the fuel gauge reads empty.
(owner's manual) Don't have one -OR- would like a digital, searchable desktop document?
Owner's Manuals ««« -click-
» Select Your Year [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Make [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Model [ Choose One ]
»

Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
The fuel pump assembly, labor and the fuel system flush for my 2004 Expedition at the Ford dealer was about $1000.00. Mine went out at 80K miles most likely due to my wife's neglect and constantly running her tank below 1/4.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM
conger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not doing your truck engine any favors by running the tank down. Hard on the pump. You can introduce air into the system and cavitate the pump and injectors.
When you checked the sticker, did it show whether it was in US or Imperial gallons? 36 US gallons is around 30 imperial gallons. So accounting for a gallon reserve those numbers would make sense.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I usually take 30 to 33 gallons / fill up. My low fuel light comes on when I have about 50 miles to empty and my navigation display shows fuel pumps on the map when I'm about 40 miles to empty. If you run out of gas some times just by taking the gas cap off & putting it back on you can get some extra distance. I need a bigger tank.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
xr7gt390 ... If you run out of gas some times just by taking the gas cap off & putting it back on you can get some extra distance.
The gen' 12 F-150s (2009+) don't have a "gas cap" they have the "Easy Fuel Capless Filler". And even if you opted for the locking fuel tank plug, removing and replacing it would have no effect.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 AM
bakon
Elder User
I know the fuel pump cools with more fuel, but 5 gallons that cant used? Picked up at all? That's roughly 14 percent of tank. Even 10 percent would seem high.

Like I said, the gauge moved, it was close to empty, but not empty. Low Fuel light was no on at time. The other information the truck gives is way out of wack too. Trip said 24 gallons used to 31 gallons actually used is also a 22 percent difference.

Not worried about how far to empty as the average, more concerned that 5 gallons never gets picked up. Get out in he woods and that would be bad, or out on the highway??? Old F350 never had fuel pump problem and could run it to 27 of the 29 gallon tank for 12 years.

Why run it so low, because I like to get 30 gallons at fill up. We get discount on the gas locally, up to 30 gallons. Usually its free to me. SO if I leave with less than 30, I am throwing it out for nothing and losing that amount. Sure I can put it in can, but with a 36 gallon tank on a brand new truck, I should be able to run to 30 no problem. Even 33-34 without worry.

Ever use those new gas cans, or a funnel on the these new fill up necks with an old can? Guaranty to be wearing a little 87 octane perfume. SO I like to get it all in. But to run out with 14 percent of capacity left?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
bakon - I know the fuel pump cools with more fuel, but 5 gallons that cant used? Picked up at all? That's roughly 14 percent of tank. Even 10 percent would seem high.

Like I said, the gauge moved, it was close to empty, but not empty. Low Fuel light was no on at time. The other information the truck gives is way out of wack too. Trip said 24 gallons used to 31 gallons actually used is also a 22 percent difference.

Not worried about how far to empty as the average, more concerned that 5 gallons never gets picked up. Get out in he woods and that would be bad, or out on the highway??? Old F350 never had fuel pump problem and could run it to 27 of the 29 gallon tank for 12 years.

Why run it so low, because I like to get 30 gallons at fill up. We get discount on the gas locally, up to 30 gallons. Usually its free to me. SO if I leave with less than 30, I am throwing it out for nothing and losing that amount. Sure I can put it in can, but with a 36 gallon tank on a brand new truck, I should be able to run to 30 no problem. Even 33-34 without worry.

Ever use those new gas cans, or a funnel on the these new fill up necks with an old can? Guaranty to be wearing a little 87 octane perfume. SO I like to get it all in. But to run out with 14 percent of capacity left?
Welp if ya want to consistently run low ya got 3 options ...
  1. always be sure that the vehicle is level.
  2. always carry a 5 gallon can of fuel and learn to deal/accept with the odoriferous fragrance as your savior.
  3. scrap the F-150 and get-back the F-350

Old 12-23-2014, 09:33 AM
bakon
Elder User
Or maybe my truck isn't picking up correctly? Is it possible that others may run the tank down to putting more than 30 in and I just got my pump setting higher?
Backing in help? Pick up in the rear?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I wanted a 36 gallon tank so I could use the extra gallons, not carry them around. I always wait till the fuel light comes on before filling up. I always take between 28-33 gallons. My gallons used on the trip almost always match my fill up. Besides the low fuel light, if you have navigation & POI off, gas pumps should appear on your screen when you have low fuel.
In your case it sounds like your gas pickup is too high compared to the fuel sending unit. Just guessing. Does it always do this?
I wish Ford put a bigger tank in the F150. 36 gallons when towing is not enough.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do get to use more fuel. It's just not recommended to use up as much as you do.

Personally, I've never been happy with driving range when towing, no matter what truck I owned. Fixed that problem one time by putting a large diesel fuel tank in the truck bed with a gravity feed to the main tank. 2000 miles to empty.

Technically, it wasted fuel by hauling around all the extra weight. But it was much more convenient and I could be very selective about where I filled up to get a good deal. Pick up a bad batch of fuel and you're completely SOL!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have the the 36 gallon tank and have never had this issue. Something is wrong. Take the truck in and tell them what you are experiencing and see what they say. There have been a few times when i ran low and never had the issues you described.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:14 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save yourself some expense and don't run it too low.
It's not worth the expense, or the aggravation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pick up/ Ran out with 5 gallons 2014