swap basic AM/FM radio with CD/fm radio? or add aux port

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:22 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swap basic AM/FM radio with CD/fm radio? or add aux port

I have a Ford 2011 F 250 Super Duty XL. It has a basic FM / AM radio no cd player no sync no navigation basic. I'm wondering if I can just swap this factory radio with their CD factory radio. Found here on eBay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351239983933

I know that the radio will fit in the same hole but I'm wondering if I can just unplug the wires out of my radio and then plug them into this radio?

my main goal is to get an axillary port to hook up my mp3 player I can only wire in an axillary port into my stock head unit if my radio has an axillary button. The AM / FM radio does not have an axillary button. But the CD radio does have an axillary button.

Is there a better or different way of getting an auxiliary port to hook up to my stock radio

if this involves a lot of work or reprogramming anything from a dealership. I think my best bet would be to just buy an aftermarket stereo and install it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas you guys have thank you very much

Old 12-20-2014, 08:14 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
even if I got a factory CD player with auxiliary. And I got a factory auxiliary panel with the axillary port in it. Is it possible to even hook it up because the wires are not there. I popped the panel off were the factory auxiliary plug normally is and the wires are not there.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:04 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm looking to add the Aux port to my radio but it has the Aux button. I found this on eBay but have not got it yet.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251647838409
Other than this I'm not much help. Lol

Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM
work.truck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
I'm looking to add the Aux port to my radio but it has the Aux button. I found this on eBay but have not got it yet.
Its all very confusing to me i thought you needed this device?

http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=469FRD4AUX&Show=Ext Info

Old 12-21-2014, 10:56 AM
work.truck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
If you pop off your lower right dash panel where the axillary plugin normally is are the wires there for you?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, Sorry for the long delayed response.

Originally Posted by work.truck
Its all very confusing to me i thought you needed this device?

P.I.E. FRD04-AUX Auxiliary Interface Ford
I think either would work but now you've got me thinking that the one that I posted won't work.

Originally Posted by work.truck
If you pop off your lower right dash panel where the axillary plugin normally is are the wires there for you?
No there are no wires there. I pulled the radio out also and there isn't any place to plug an AUX wire in simply either.
Furthermore, I think you'd have to get FORD to program the radio so that the AUX button would recognize that port. Right now when I hit AUX, it just switches between the 3 Sirius bands.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Bob O.
New User
Aux port

Around 4 years ago, I got 2 throw-out radios with single CD players out of 2010 trucks being converted. Dug them out of a dumpster. I put one in my 2014 F150 and one in my 2007 f150. Went on line and downloaded wiring diagram, went to Radio Shack, bought 2 jacks for the dashboard, cord to connect to my I-pod and used an old cat 5 scrap to wire up a short harness to connect the radio pins to the jack. Works great and was not that hard to do. Both are working to this day, and work exactly the same way my 2010 F250 does with stock factory setup. The jack even looks the same on all three. It only takes 3 wires. (left, right, common) but as I remember, the wiring diagrams were not that easy to find. On the radio end, I used scrap connector and removed the pins and covered them with heat shrink, plugged them in individually and pitched the connector block. Soldered and heat shrink on the jack end. Hardest part, gathering the info on the wiring diagram. Assembled ad tested before drilling dash or re-assembly.