1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1960 F100 -#Interceptor Package Official Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:32 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 F100 -#Interceptor Package Official Build

I picked up this 2004 Crown Vic with 95k miles from auction and had it shipped in last week I put about 500 miles driving it duck hunting before I started tearing it down. Turned out to be a pretty comfortable ride!

I have a 1960 F100 that I am looking to import as much as possible from the donor police interceptor.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

car comes apart nicely

Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

going to take motor out and front end this weekend, hopefully can have the vic front end set in the f100 frame by sunday.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

cab coming apart, it off getting some panels welded in. I used POR15 under it and all around the questionable areas

grinded it clean, a little degreaser and prep wash. a few cans of rattle can black

Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
That is no little transformation you have going on!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 AM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

I was able to get the engine out and the IFS unit out, decided to just plasma cut the frame in half in order to maneuver it easier, its going to the scrap pile anyways! I really want to try and use this rear end, but not 100% sure. I like the idea of the thunderbird IRS
So as a disclaimer before everyone starts bashing on my idea I am not a mechanic or fabricator. I sell medical, and lab casework. So I am open to suggestions and ideas. I have been on this site doing some research for the last few months and I think with all my homework I have the idea in my mind now it is just time for the application. Stay tuned I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:45 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Not too bad for a weanie salesman! LOL!! Keep it up, you are well on your way to the truck you want, even if it breaks my heart to see the originality go by the way side. Wish I was closer to see your work and rescue those awesome parts!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:36 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Why would some one who is NOT a mechanic or fabricator have a shop like that with a lift no less??????????

Old 12-21-2014, 05:00 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

the shop with the lift is "borrowed" I am friends with a gentleman who lets me use it and the tools, (plasma cutter, welder, lift...) I let him hunt on my land, in return I get the shop. That is where most of the major work in getting done, as for my garage at home, that too is being used. It is the picture with the frame.
I was able to remove the entire dash and most of the harness, ecu today.
these are some progress pictures from the weekend. I have been busy, I even managed to get a duck hunt in this morning.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:26 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by DeadPhish

the shop with the lift is "borrowed" I am friends with a gentleman who lets me use it and the tools, (plasma cutter, welder, lift...) I let him hunt on my land, in return I get the shop. That is where most of the major work in getting done, as for my garage at home, that too is being used. It is the picture with the frame.
I was able to remove the entire dash and most of the harness, ecu today.
these are some progress pictures from the weekend. I have been busy, I even managed to get a duck hunt in this morning.
I am glad you have been able to keep a good priority balance.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Lucky you! Does he need another friend, at almost 68 crawling underneath is getting hard LOL. Looks like you are doing a nice job on the conversion. A friend of mine has done a similar swap on a 57 Custom passenger car, the electrical has become a major project.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
DeadPhish
Freshman User

cut the frame section out of the car then cut these out with plasma cutter, got the grinder to them after that

I have built jeep and other projects but this one is definitely the most 1 off. My father has taken interest and that's fun, nothing like a little father and son bonding.
As for the wiring, and everything else that's just 1 task at a time.
The game plan for right now is to take the car completely apart, sell and salvage parts, then crush -recycle scrap -
I am studying the IFS mount right now, I used the plasma cutter to cut out the inner tubes for remounting

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
mtnjason
Freshman User
Have you decided whether you're going to use the CV rear end? I'm in the middle of swapping my '60 body onto an '03 CV PI frame myself, and I don't think I'd take the rear if I was in your situation. It's very wide, I'll have to widen my fenders to get it to fit. I may even decide to go with an '02 or earlier rear end, which is narrower and is a bolt in for me after modifying the shock mounts. Since you're keeping your stock frame IRS or an explorer rear would probably be easier.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM
DeadPhish
Freshman User
I have been considering the thunderbird irs but have not yet made it to that point. I for sure want the disc brakes.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM
DeadPhish
Freshman User
I worked a little more on getting everything ready to finalize the IFS install.
I have all the tubes welded in place and mocked it up and everything fits great. While I had access to the inside of the frame I went ahead and drilled the holes for the sway bar bolts to slide thru, after they where in I welded the tops to frame, these will be covered up after I box in the frame with 1/8" flat bar. As for the trailing arms, I cut out the original brackets from the donor car, I am not sure if I will be using them or just fabricating some new ones. The original set up of the control arm had it angled and sitting against the frame that way Can anyone tell me if It has to re-mount that exact same way with the angle? I loosened the bolt and let the bracket drop horizontal so that it would just bolt directly to the bottom of the frame, will this be ok? I hope to get the IFS finished up and mounted in today. I will post some pictures of that later. I took the pictures with the primer on them so you could see it a little better. Tell me what you think.

Quick Reply: 1960 F100 -#Interceptor Package Official Build