6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

IPR Oil/EGR Cooler and Coolant Filter on My 2005 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
IPR Oil/EGR Cooler and Coolant Filter on My 2005 Excursion

That darn ScanGuage II, the thing is great but has cost me more money. On a trip pulling my camper my EOTs were running 30 degrees above the the coolant temperature.

I started planning on how I was going to fix the problem so I started researching FTE and other sites. I purchased a Bullet Proof EGR Cooler and then I decided to look at coolant filters and the IPR full coolant filter caught my eye. I contacted Vince and we discussed the full flow filter. He did tell me that on MAX A/C the system would not filter. Living in NC I use MAX A/C a lot. He mentioned to me the oil cooler system, I wasn't really looking to spend that much so I told him I would think about it.

I did call a couple of people that installed and are installers of the IPR system. All of the contacts had great things to say about the system. I made the decision to purchase the system and returned the BPD EGR Cooler and bought the IPR.

The kit took a while to come in because of increased demand for the product so I decided to tear the truck down and wait for it. My FICM voltages were off so I sent it to FICMrepair.com. My lower CAC boot was spongy, I ordered a Gates from RockAuto. Tousley hooked me up with an STC kit, turbo oil drain tube, turbo oil supply tube and other goodies.

Also while waiting I cleaned my turbo, EBP and thoroughly cleaned the intake. I removed the HPOP to find the STC had already been replaced.

The parts finally came in last week so I started tackling the project.

I installed the coolant bypass adapter under the oil filter base, and installed the stainless HPOP screen

, the same way the OEM would plug in. The IPR kit comes with the gasket set so I replaced all of them. I took it apart to check the o rings and put it back together just to make sure everything was right. I had noticed on my first time the bolts under the cooler plate we not tightening. The IPR coolant plate is ½ CM thicker than the OEM cooler and the bolts were not grabbing,

[IMG]https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/580x435/80-cooler_comparison_d6d98bf185e68791f66cb61f0dd17757 5e53834b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/580x435/80-cooler_plate_da4f8e80c60217e6d4d11578d8bedfa541116 a33.jpg[/IMG]

in fact they were stripping. I took a bolt to the store and bought 30mm ones so they would grab the lower threads, I did talk to Vince about this.

After I installed the cooler / oil filter base I replaced the oil filter tube with Vince’s tube.

During this install I plumbed in the IPR EGR cooler, it went in without a problem. I compared the Bulletproof cooler and the IPR and I will have to say both are comparable. The level of quality on both is high, the welds are good and both are well thought out.

After the EGR cooler was installed I attached the coolant filter manifold on the oil cooler cover plate sorry I do not have a picture of the manifold.

The rest of my Saturday was spent reinstalling diesel stuff, you know, intakes, turbos, etc.I realized that working on this truck is like doing yoga; you will stretch yourself into the most unbelievable positions. The instructions said to extend the EOT sensor to the cooler; I did not do that but may in the future.

It was about 9 on Saturday night and it was time for more IPR stuff. I installed the filter and screwed the IPR oil cap on.

I started plumbing the coolant heater hoses and installing the filter. This was a big challenge because the Excursion has rear air and it is tight already near the air box. The bracket and housing are good quality and will fit where they are supposed to go. I had to slightly angle the bracket using two washers to keep one heater hose from sitting in the A/C line, the other hose is looped through the accumulator tubes as not to touch them.

I had to buy 3’ more hose than IPR supplied to make the run from the coolant filter to the remote oil cooler.

The remote oil cooler is bigger than OEM, I think IPR uses the 6.4l cooler. It mounts just right between the right battery and the radiator. The 05 has an unused bracket next to the battery and the cooler is designed to mount in that bracket. The finish on the cooler is nicely done and compliments the under hood. It was 11 on Saturday night, I was wiped out.

On Sunday one of the last things I had to figure out was how to run the braided lines from the oil cap to the cooler. I was concerned about positioning the lines too close to hot turbo tubes and A/C lines. I was able to run one line through the accumulator loop and the other runs between the turbo pipe and the A/C components.

[IMG]http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/580x435/80-braided_house_routing_c82ed354e81a7a08d8a6843d6824 26a607be7574.jpg[/IMG]

In order to get the proper angle I had to turn the cap in such a direction for the pipes to thread on. I will continue to work on the hose routing.

Everything went on properly, I primed the engine, plugged in the FICM and she fired up on the 4<sup>th</sup> or 5<sup>th</sup> try. Rats, a turbo up-pipe exhaust leak, well it runs. On Sunday night I fixed the turbo leak, let it run in place for a while and drove the truck around for 15 miles. My deltas are about 5 degrees apart but I was not doing a true 65 mph test and I need to check the coolant filter.

I went to drive it on Monday night but my dummy oil gauge says 0 pressure but the truck runs. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and everything is good.

I took it out for a drive, 49 degrees outside, on the 65 zone temps were 7-8 degrees apart, 182 FWT 189 EOT, not bad considering I was at a 20 degree spread before and I did not move the oil temp sensor from stock position.

For the past two days I have been driving it back and forth to work, 53 miles each way, and it has been doing great
The IPR kit was not hard to install, the directions need some work and should be included in the kit. Vince emailed them to me prior to receiving the unit so that was not a problem. IPR gives great customer service. When the parts were delayed he kept me updated. I called him about the sensor and he picked up the phone and helped me.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, I want to say, very nice write up.

Second, I like to think with a little optimism, it saved you some bucks vs. costing you.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jswartz84
First, I want to say, very nice write up.

Second, I like to think with a little optimism, it saved you some bucks vs. costing you.
I like to wrench on vehicles but I just don't want to do it if I could have avoided a problem in the first place. I really don't want to tear into this thing again so this is why I went with the IPR. I looked at the Bullet Proof but the install was much more involved and the kit was much more expensive.

I also feel that if I take care of things like the EOT and EGR I will not need to replace the head studs. While doing this job I went back with the Zerex G05 rather than flushing, I feel that the coolant filter will take care of cleaning the system for me. I used Rotella T6 and Hot Shot Secret to take care of the injectors. My batteries and alternator were tested to make sure the new FICM will be good.

Future plans for the Ex include an air bag system and Hellwig Sway Bar while fixing any problems that arise and making sure maintenance is kept up. We are looking forward to a great year camping in the Travel Trailer.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job, thanks for the writeup. I have eyeballed IPRs remote oil cooler and egr delete kits, looks like quality stuff. I'm just not sure I would be comfortable with all the hoses....

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Nice job, thanks for the writeup. I have eyeballed IPRs remote oil cooler and egr delete kits, looks like quality stuff. I'm just not sure I would be comfortable with all the hoses....
It is 5 hoses, two from the coolant manifold, one goes to the filter and one to the oil cooler and one between the filter and oil cooler. The oil cooler uses the two reinforced lines. I am going to continue to try to pretty the hoses up but for now I am glad to be driving the Excursion again.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:47 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I just put a second oil cooler in. The old one went 6k miles before pushing a 20 degree delta. I'm pushing 6 degree deltas now. If I have to do the oil cooler again, I'll go with the ipr kit.

Knowing what I know now, I would have put an ipr kit on the first time. I bought the truck about 6 months after the previous owner ruptured the oil cooler. The coolant system was a mess and the ipr kit would have saved me some real effort.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
I have driven the Ex almost 800 miles this week since the IPR install, over 300 miles today alone. I have had very little sediment in the filter and OETs run around 7-8 degrees above FWT at 75 mph, FWTs were in the low 180's and OETs never went over 190. In city traffic they are 2 degrees over FWT. All in all I am very pleased with the system.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Just wanted to give an update on the IPR setup. The system is working well for 3000 miles, the only thing I had to install was a conical seal on one line because of a slight seep.

I have not seen much garbage in my coolant filter, I think my old oil cooler did a good job of filtering the garbage. I am running a 200 degree thermostat.

My ECT and EOT deltas are averaging about 7-8 degrees apart at 70 MPH on flat ground but even with up hills I do not see much of a rise. When towing our travel trailer on a 250 mile Interstate trip the deltas stayed within the 15 degree spread at 70 MPH, outside temps in the 30s and 40s. The EOTs do drop a degree or two very quickly when coming to a stop.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
One thing I would want is ALL hoses to be braided with AN connections. Other than that it's pretty neat.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
One thing I would want is ALL hoses to be braided with AN connections. Other than that it's pretty neat.

2006 F350 4X4
My oil hoses are braided with AN fittings, my coolant hoses are not.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Excurvelle

My oil hoses are braided with AN fittings, my coolant hoses are not.
Yep figued that was what those were after looking again--would just like to have something other than worm clamps for em-- but they still work fine for sure. I'm a big fan or IPR as well.

2006 F350 4X4