Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

newby here.....the ford lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 06:42 PM
duanedeidre
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile newby here.....the ford lightning?

hey out there my name is duane and i was wondering if you all could answer a few ? 4 me?
the lightning: (1) how does it do for a ever day driver i notice alot of people here in north alabama driving them and it's alot of the same people too.
(2) how is the gas mileage and how would it be if i towed about 1000 lbs. ?
(3) the up keep on the motor and/or blower/charger?
(4)how much is a good price on a new one and on a used one aswell?

sorry for all the ?s but i'm in a place and time right now that is ify
you see i bought a dodge ram 1500 reg cab 20's 3.92's and yes the hemi well........
........they can make stop stalling on me and idling rough and this thursday will be my third trip but i'm trying a new service center this time this place works on and sales both fords and dodge's i thought that strange but what the hell
oh back to my story it is very hard to mange the drive by wire gas pedal i hate the damn thing
so hopely i will get to file this under the lemon law and if so i'll be buying another truck and i love fords my father and his father drove fords as a matter of fact my fathers has get thisa now 750,000 miles on it and still going
so please don't bash me for the dodge truck just give me your 2 cents on this ?s i really need some support here
thank you very much for your time
duane

Old 07-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Michael6thst
New User
Thumbs up newby here.....the ford lightning?

Truck has run like a beast since day one....the salesman punching it and me hitting my head on the rear window was a huge selling point!

Problems....

Gas mileage (to be expected with 380 Hp)

Speeding Tickets..(my last one was $380, yes that was ONE ticket)

Keeping my girl happy (cuz I am always on the road! got 36,000miles)

btw, I have seen postings talking about a "break in period" that is BS. Straight from a Ford Mechanic who drives a 93 on the weekdays and a 2000 on the weekends...No break in on Gen 2 tritons. (I went a little easy for the first 1000 anyway, but slammed it shortly after with new pulleys and a superchip.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:20 PM
duanedeidre
New User

cool man thanl you getting back to me no one else thinks i ask a ?
anywho still trying to get rid of this damn dodge
duane

Old 07-13-2003, 05:54 PM
speeder1
New User

Ive had my 02 Lightning for a year and a half, I havn`t had any problems so far, and I have most of the bolt on mods on my truck. I drive my truck every day, again, no problems at all, as far as mileage goes, if I drive normally I can go about 325 miles on a tank of gas (about 16 mpg), the up keep on a Lightning isn`t much different from any other ford truck, just change the oil and filter and also the fuel filter (fuel filter=very important on these trucks) and your good to go.

I hope this helps.

Larry.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Michael6thst
New User

Larry, you hit it right on the head! The Lightning is "just" another truck when it comes to maintenance (except alignments!!). Anyone out there know why Ford doesn't install adjustable Camber Shims? Have you had Fuel Filter issues? I haven't...

Old 07-14-2003, 04:34 PM
speeder1
New User

No, I havn`t had any fuel filter problems, but the fuel filter on a Lightning should be changed every 5000 miles to avoid any problems.

Larry.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Lightning Rod
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I change my fuel filter every 15,000 miles and my oil every 4,500 (Royal Purple synthetic). Running just a 2# lower pulley and no chip, I have not found the need to change plugs yet and I have 23K on the odometer.

The only warranty repair I've had to make concerns the plastic foglight lenses. I've had them replaced once already and it's almost time to do it again. I'll keep taking it back to have them replaced until Ford either does a recall or my 7/100 warranty expires.

One thing worth noting........ my truck really didn't start coming alive until I had about 2,500 miles on it. Since then, it seems to get stronger everytime I drive it. This is quite common and most every Lightning owner I've ever met has experienced the same phenomenon.

Old 07-16-2003, 03:12 PM
TFX4C
New User

Gas mileage = I averaged around 14 to 16 (of course that is not gettin on it) There is no more maintenance than a regular pickup. Towing 1000#s will be no problem. I used mine to tow the boat to the lake last year. Could not even tell it was there. Everybody in the marina just stopped and looked at me backing down the ramp and then pulling out. I was like they had never seen such a strong combo. It was great.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:33 AM
LightningBoy
New User

Duane,

Here is some info for you to digest:

1. and 2.) The Ford Lightning is a great everyday driver as long as you keep your foot out of the go pedal. I can get easily about 300 miles to a tank (13 mpg) with "normal" driving conditions and I interpret this as doing about 70'ish miles per hour on the inner city highway systems in Austin, TX. I live and work on opposite sides of town so I fill up on a Sunday and by the following Sunday, I am back at the gas station with my needle below the E mark. If I keep it at 55-60 mph, I can make a tank last to about 360 miles (16 mpg). I have found that 55 mph on the highway nets you the best gas mileage. If you are towing that much weight consistently, I would offer that it will only degrade your mileage but by how much, I don't exactly know.

3.) I currently own 2 Lightnings and at 8000 miles, my black 2001's supercharger was replaced because the dealer mechanic said it was making noise it shouldn't be making. At 16,000 miles, I lost my transmission due to a torque converter retainer O-ring breaking and putting metal all in my tranny. It was replaced or rebuilt ( not sure of which....) but since then, my 2001 has been great. My 2002 True Blue Lightning has not been to the shop (yet...) but needs to due to some white flakes blowing out of my vents and a few other things but nothing major. I feel any given vehicle and can be great or a lack of quality being installed at the factory can make it sub-par. Word of advice to you and everyone else: Don't buy a new vehicle built in the middle of December and onward to Christmas!! If you want to hear my story, message me and I'll elaborate.

4.) You can pick up a used 99 or 2000 for about 17,500 to 20,000 and an 01 - 02 for about 25,500 to 28,500 all depending on mileage and condition of body and interior. You basically can save about 3,000 to 3,500 by getting an 02. Here in Texas, the 03's go for 33,500 plus tax and all the other crud lands you at about 36,000 or slightly above. Considering insurance and gas, you are probably looking at about 650 to 750 per month in auto expenses. I personally think it would be better to go used rather than new due to all the depreciation you will get hit with over the first year.

Hope this helps,
Roy Ortiz
Austin, TX