considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 AM
katoom400
Junior User
katoom400 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm upgrading from my 2010 Toyota Tundra to either a Ram 2500, or Ford f250/350 crew cab for pulling my 30' ~7600lb travel trailer. the truck will also be my daily driver (~70 miles round trip)

I test drove a Ram 6.4 with 3.73's and a f250 6.2 with 3.73's back to back a few weeks ago and the Ram felt like it had much better pull. The Ford felt like it was lugging just cruising around in local traffic.

I had to be sure so I test drove a f350 with 3.73's on Saturday....and what a disappointment! when I got out on the highway I stepped on the go pedal hard and the motor screamed to life...but I felt VERY little pull.....it was making a ton of noise and kept waiting to feel some torque...but NOTHING HAPPENED....

I just can't believe that people are towing with these engines and reporting that they pull awesome? I've had 7.3, 5.4 and a 6.8 in the past and everything felt way more powerfull than the 6.2....even the 5.4 in my heavy quigley 4x4 van!!

now I'm wondering if the 4.30 gear option would help, but it's almost impossible to find one with 4.30's to test drive?

I really liked the feel of the Ford compared to the Ram, but the motor really felt gutless....and while I generally don't drive with a heavy foot, when I put my foot into it, I want it to get out of it's own way...like trying to get out into traffic with my trailer on..

by contrast I drove a used 2014 6.7 diesel and it had PLENTY OF TORQUE....I just cant afford the diesel option at this time.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:01 AM
meborder
meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
who would have guessed that we would reach a point in our lives where we complain about nearly 400hp....

come drive my '79 back to back with the 6.2 ....

to answer your question, yes 4.30's would likely make a big difference, but yes, they are exceedingly hard to find.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
who would have guessed that we would reach a point in our lives where we complain about nearly 400hp....

come drive my '79 back to back with the 6.2 ....

to answer your question, yes 4.30's would likely make a big difference, but yes, they are exceedingly hard to find.
not complaining about the 400hp, just want to know where it was hiding? Felt like it had a v6

by contrast the ram 2500 with 5.7 hemi and 3.73's would throw your head back when you stepped on it...heck my Tundra dual cab long bed beats both the Ram and the Ford gas motors in torque feel....but it does have 4.30's. so maybe that's the problem with the ford?

I remember reading a post somewhere that compared internal tranny gear ratios between the Ford and the Ram and the Ford actually had lower gear ratios that put the 6.2/3.73 truck close to the Ram with 4.10's. However it felt like the 6.2/3.73 Ford had nothing compared to the 6.4\3.73 Ram?

I'm just frustrated because I really liked the Ford....other than the gutless feel of the motor.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
If I was in the market for a gas truck and the 3.5L was not an option, I would lean toward the Ram 6.4 or 5.7 and away from the 6.2. You read about happy Ram owners all the time. Plenty of speed and power. 6.2 owners that tow never seem as enthusiastic about their platform. Okay seems to be the best endorsement for the 6.2 that I read. Plenty of "next time, 6.7L" or "this is a high rev engine and works fine in it's power band".

When I traded my 2011 6.7L, salesperson told me that they struggle with used 6.2s.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.
Buy the Hemi. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not a fan of the 6.2 either, but I thought it was fine daily driving.

I opted for an Ecoboost.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM
BOHAWG175
Senior User
BOHAWG175 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You are really talking about two different things here. Acceleration and Towing capability. If you are wanting acceleration go with a mustang. If you are concerned with towing capability, buy a truck. If you are nervous about the 6.2 then forget it. You mention usinig it as a daily driver and both the 6.2 and Hemi are going to kill you on fuel mileage if that is a concern. I guess the questions I pose is why do you want a 3/4 ton truck? Why not go with a F150 ecoboost? That will give you the mileage, acceleration and has plenty of towing capability for what you are pulling.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.
6.2L comes to life after getting some miles on it.

I went from an '01, 6.8 V10 to the '15, 6.2, (both with 3.73) and was initially a little disappointed with the power... New truck had 7 miles on it, so I babied it the first couple of weeks. After 500 miles, I started playing and thought that the motor made more noise than power too. But... the tranny apparently "learns" your driving and adjusts to it. A few more hard accelerations, and then it was shifting for more power. Not snapping-my-neck-back power,.. but respectable for a truck rated at 10K lbs.

Now that I have >3K miles on it, the Engine seems to have loosened up, it revs more freely,and it shifts intelligently. I was actually surprised the other day. I was on one of those short on-ramps where you have to accelerate from a stop sign to get on the highway. I saw my opening and jammed on the accelerator. The motor came to life (still gets quite loud), and I had no problem merging. What pleasantly surprised me was that it chirped the tires, from 1rst to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd! Wasn't expecting that (I don'tremember ever doing that with the previous truck).

Off the line (empty), I don't see much difference from my old '01 V10. (I haven't towed more than 3K lbs so far, so I don't have a loaded comparison.) So while the 6.2 isn't a PowerStroke beast, it's got ample power for my needs, and it seems to be getting better as I put miles on the truck.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Originally Posted by BOHAWG175 View Post
You are really talking about two different things here. Acceleration and Towing capability. If you are wanting acceleration go with a mustang. If you are concerned with towing capability, buy a truck. If you are nervous about the 6.2 then forget it. You mention usinig it as a daily driver and both the 6.2 and Hemi are going to kill you on fuel mileage if that is a concern. I guess the questions I pose is why do you want a 3/4 ton truck? Why not go with a F150 ecoboost? That will give you the mileage, acceleration and has plenty of towing capability for what you are pulling.
I do realize the difference between towing capability and acceleration....I'm not looking for a sports car, but if the truck can't accelerate well under it's own weight, what is going to happen when I'm trying to merge on to a highway with 8k trailer and 2k of payload including the whole family. I don't need to to take off fast all the time, but when I need it...I need it!

I'm going with the 3/4 ton not because I'm maxed out on towing capability but more because I max out on payload. I know that the new 150's can be had with hd payload packages, but to be honest I really don't care for the look of the 150's...much like my Tundra...they look more like a car than a truck.

I've been commuting with gas hogs for years, so I'm used to that aspect. my current Tundra gets ~15mpg, so it's not like I'm coming from a Prius...LOL

Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Check the gears in that Ram. I though a lot of the rams were coming with 4.10 gears.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Check the gears in that Ram. I though a lot of the rams were coming with 4.10 gears.
Negative. 99% of all rams sitting on the local dealer lots are 3.73's. Around here, the only ones with 4.10's seem to be 3500 DRW. There are a few 2500's with 4.10's around, but not many.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I have a co-worker with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears. He pulls horse trailers in the same range as what you are talking about.

Once I told him about using the manual mode he enjoys the drive.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by katoom400 View Post
but if the truck can't accelerate well under it's own weight, what is going to happen when I'm trying to merge on to a highway with 8k trailer and 2k of payload including the whole family.

I'll tell you, other drivers in the right most lane will put on their left turn signal and move into or passing lane seeing this big truck and trailer entering the highway. Or at least they should

I've never quite understood the need to get to the max speed limit or above when towing a heavy trailer, heavy payload, and with family aboard merging onto the highway. Why does everyone think you will die or cause some major catastrophe if you enter the highway under the speed limit? Smooth acceleration and bringing the rig safely up to speed I think is the only thing that matters, especially with family on board. Once at highway speed what does it matter if it's slower on acceleration due to load or truck power? It's not like you're entering a fully packed 65mph highway at 20mph with only a small window to merge. Usually if a highway is full of cars it's at a crawl or standstill. Tractor trailers enter highways like this all the time.

Now that I'm done with that. Find a 6.2 with 4.30 gears if you really want a Ford. May take a drive to get to one but until then you don't know the answer to your question. And by all means if the Ram makes you happy then get it.

Take a look at this thread about a meet a few of the members have done the past few years. They hook up 15,000lbs of trailer and yank it up a hill. The 6.2 with 4.30's always fares well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-videos.html

Old 12-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
Kaw-Liga is starting off with a positive reputation.
re

You might also want to test drive a different 6.2 truck with the same gearing; you never know if that particular truck is having some sort of issue, but driving another truck will help you to rule that out.

-Kaw-Liga

Old 12-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
while I can't speak authoritatively on the 6.2 gasser or the Dodge trucks - I can tell you that Ford restricts the output power of the 6.7 Diesel for the first 500 miles. On my truck it "seemed" like it got another 100 HP/TQ when it went over that threshold. If it is the same with the gasser, that may have been what you experienced.
I did drive a 6.2 and was seriously considering it but my trailer would have put it just at or very close to the edge of it's capabilities. The truck I drove had a good amount of power and had a couple thousand miles on it.
Maybe try one that has some miles on the clock?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 AM
DCP
Senior User
DCP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just to compare the Ford 6.2L to other Ford motors, the stock 6.2L is still more powerful than any stock 428 Cobra Jet or any stock 460 ever made. The Ford 6.2L closely compares to the performance of the Ford FE 427. So, when people tell me that the 6.2L won't pull a trailer, their heads are in a smelly dark hole.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: considering f250 with 6.2...but hated the power delivery

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.