1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My uncle's 53

Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 PM
lfed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't look at the catalog because I got the parts that I wanted. But since my first post here I have learned many different ways of finding information.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by lfed
One of the ***** that are on the dash said throttle, was that only on the big trucks?
Lloyd
The manual throttle was standard on F250 and up trucks. It was optional on F100's.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:09 AM
lfed
Junior User

Thanks' Abe, I was thinking of welding the throttle and choke holes shut.
I spent Saturday morning roaming around a couple bone yards looking for a 9" rear axle, I didn't find one that was any good. I remember 57-72 trucks being a dime a dozen now I can find only a hand full. I did get the leaf springs cleaned up and reassembled. Last night my son came over and helped put the front axle together and install the disc brakes.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Looking good, lfed. Great project.

Something you might want to look at is the rear transmission mount. The original served three purposes. 1) It kept the frame from twisting at the front spring rear mount. 2) It held up the rear of the engine/transmission. 3) It kept the frame from twisting (spreading) at the front cab mounts. 1 and 2 might be alright, but I would be concerned with 3. I would install some bracing, much like the original.

If I'm speaking out of place, I apologize. I just thought it was something worth mentioning.

I like a truck with history. Mine belonged to my uncle as well. But to him it was just an old farm truck. I've had it since I was a teenager and it's in it's 3rd (and final) evolution.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 07:49 PM
lfed
Junior User

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Looking good, lfed. Great project.

Something you might want to look at is the rear transmission mount. The original served three purposes. 1) It kept the frame from twisting at the front spring rear mount. 2) It held up the rear of the engine/transmission. 3) It kept the frame from twisting (spreading) at the front cab mounts. 1 and 2 might be alright, but I would be concerned with 3. I would install some bracing, much like the original.

If I'm speaking out of place, I apologize. I just thought it was something worth mentioning.

I like a truck with history. Mine belonged to my uncle as well. But to him it was just an old farm truck. I've had it since I was a teenager and it's in it's 3rd (and final) evolution.
I would rather have someone tell me I have something wrong now than to say something after I have it done.The 3rd one is a concern of mine also but I don't know what to do about it. and then I thought that I was over thing it. I did a search on how other people put newer motor and trans in and unless I missed it I couldn't find thing.
here's a couple pictures, Do you have any ideas?
Your frame looks good, you feel like your getting somewhere when you start painting.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Nojive55
Senior User
Originally Posted by F-ONE
It's a heavy engine in a little light truck
If you use an alloy intake and headers instead of the cast stuff you could get the weight pretty close to the original flatty, they were by no means a light engine. I'd hazard the C-6 would add more weight than the BBF. That weight would be low and behind the firewall, all good.
53 was a good year for new Ford trucks (and new owners for Ford trucks).

Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 AM
lfed
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nojive55
If you use an alloy intake and headers instead of the cast stuff you could get the weight pretty close to the original flatty, they were by no means a light engine. I'd hazard the C-6 would add more weight than the BBF. That weight would be low and behind the firewall, all good.
53 was a good year for new Ford trucks (and new owners for Ford trucks).
I have a aluminum intake for it and the headers are on their way. when I get enough money save up I would like to get a set of aluminum heads also.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:03 PM
lfed
Junior User

Over the weekend I modified the transmissions cross member. Now when I step on the running board mount the top of the frame rail doesn't roll out. Very happy.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Sorry I opened the can of worms then missed your reply.

Looks like a good solution. I bet you can't wait to get it back on it's wheels.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:59 AM
lfed
Junior User
Before you mentioned it, it was all ready bothering me but I didn't know what to do about it. it will be nice to have the wheels back on, But I'm still looking for a rear axle. I have a line on one but getting the guy to get it out of the truck is turning into a nightmare.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
Great story and you are moving right along on the build. Keep taking lots of pictures and keep us updated. You will have a great ride when you are done.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 PM
lfed
Junior User
Thanks' Harrier.
I started this thread so that my aunt can see how the truck coming along and get the input from FTE members. This truck is a little before my time, that makes harder to put back together two step forward four step back but I'm getting there. Waiting on frame parts so it's back to working on the cab. My goal is to have a rolling frame and the cab and doors painted by the end of winter.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 AM
lfed
Junior User

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything but I have been working on the cab. I have gone as far as I can go, waiting on a inter cowl piece, Mid fifty said that the part will not be available until sometime in February ( I do not like waiting ). However I did find a Rear axle. I have taken that apart and took it to the powder coaters and I got that back yesterday time to put it back together.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM
lfed
Junior User

The frame is finished. Been working on the heater box this weekend I got all the parts clean up and ready for paint and tonight I painted them hot rod black that should make the truck go faster. I just received a phone call from Mid Fifty my cowl part will be shipped tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:09 AM
lfed
Junior User

I received my inter cowl piece a couple weeks ago the part isn't even close to the original part, as you can see by the pictures. I end up making my own. Now that I got the cowls repaired it is time to move on to the floor, I had to reposition the cab on the rotisserie so that I could repair the cab mount. I think I'm done welding, grinding and sandblasting. Next is epoxy and paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My uncle's 53