6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Some Good News for California 6.0 CARB

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Some Good News for California 6.0 CARB

I was reading in tone of the Diesel magazines today and guess what I found.

BPD got an approval for the EGR cooler. So if you happen to be
stuck living with the California CARB rules and have a cooler
that was replaced with one from BPD you may want to check with
then to see how the change can help you.

From >> BulletProof EGR Cooler, Square, Ford 6.0L, Lifetime Warranty

BULLET PROOF DIESEL SQUARE 6.0L EGR COOLER

STAINLESS STEEL TUBING THAT IS STRONGER AND MORE RESISTANT TO FATIGUE AND HEAT STRESS FAILURE
ALL JOINTS AND SEAMS TIG WELDED
QUALITY CONTROL ENSURES DIRECT FIT EVERY TIME
CALIFORNIA CARB# D-730
List Price: $427.88
Manufacturer's Direct Price: $350.00
You save $77.88!

Sean

Old 12-13-2014, 02:25 AM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Great news! Being I just had one installed :-) and I am due for Smog inspection

Old 12-13-2014, 12:46 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure the smog guys can even tell the difference. The thing is buried in there pretty good. I've had one for a few years now. It has been through two biennial smog tests. The guy I go to visualizes the CCV, EGR & Cat, does opacity (smoke) snap test & plugs into the OBD 2 port to look for CEL.

I guess it is good news in case you ever get an inspector who really, really knows or a referee station.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 2civicrr
To be honest, I'm not sure the smog guys can even tell the difference. The thing is buried in there pretty good. I've had one for a few years now. It has been through two biennial smog tests. The guy I go to visualizes the CCV, EGR & Cat, does opacity (smoke) snap test & plugs into the OBD 2 port to look for CEL.

I guess it is good news in case you ever get an inspector who really, really knows or a referee station.
Or dipstick duck that thinks he knows. He the guy that can't find his...never mind

Sean

Old 12-13-2014, 05:23 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I would bet they cannot even tell if it's missing and there's an EGR delete unless they actually do an ECM firmware version check. Do they do that in the Peoples Republik?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:40 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
I would bet they cannot even tell if it's missing and there's an EGR delete unless they actually do an ECM firmware version check. Do they do that in the Peoples Republik?
That's the million dollar question - what do they actually do, other than look for codes, at the OBD port. Just to be safe, I always switch back to the stock tune. I had to get rid of my sneaky up-pipe (appeared stock but I welded a disk in) because it would set a code with the stock tune.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 2civicrr
That's the million dollar question - what do they actually do, other than look for CEL, at the OBD port. People have speculated that they command the egr valve but I don't really know.

Just to be safe, I always switch back to the stock tune.
OBD monitor readiness check will indicate if a tune is installed that makes the EGR inoperative.

Josh

Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
OBD monitor readiness check will indicate if a tune is installed that makes the EGR inoperative.

Josh
Do the "approved" Kalifornicator testing facilities do that?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
From what I have had the fun time to read on the internet (we all know that is 100% the truth)
YES they do. Also the road side stop cops do that too.

One more reason to never live there and only visit.

BTW do they hit you with income tax for any time in
the air over that place like with pro sports?

Sean

Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Bullitt390

Colorado doesn't. Just a visual, CEL check and smoke with dyno run.

Josh

Old 12-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
So far in Washington State and in limited areas.
Snap test and maybe a peek under the hood to
get at the battery in my case. They were not
getting enough signal to drive the computer thingies.
I think it looks for some ripple in the 12VDC ???
I bet that the tech does not know or really care.

They just want you cash.

Sean

Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Yahiko
So far in Washington State and in limited areas.
Snap test and maybe a peek under the hood to
get at the battery in my case. They were not
getting enough signal to drive the computer thingies.
I think it looks for some ripple in the 12VDC ???
I bet that the tech does not know or really care.

They just want you cash.

Sean
That's what I'm thinking. Sure having BPD's EGR cooler CARB certified is cool, but in reality hardly anyone would know the difference as installed.

I have a couple buddy's that have had their trucks emission tested cleaner with an EGR delete than with one installed FWIW.

I will say the one thing you will need, especially in parts of Weld and Larimer County in Colorado is a catalytic convertor. Guaranteed they will look for that.

As for EGR cooler it's hit n miss whether they pay attention. If you have a PCM strategy that doesn't throw a CEL for the delete then you're even more golden in that regard.

I'm glad I'm in an emissions exempt location and do not have the hassle of that yearly.

Josh

Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A few years ago Texas was going to adopt emmissions testing. Lots of controversy.
The State and Feds forced it thru and spent 1million dollars in Port Arthur building a test facility, dyno the works.

They invited some of us to bring some cars in to show us the test. and prove how accurate it was. Well this one guy hung back until he was the last.
He brought in a 62 chevey. They told him there was no way that car would pass. He said shure I know it is not compliant but humor me and let me test it. This way will know how acurate the test is.

Make a long story short his car passed with flying colors. Then he introduced the 4 men with him they were the leaders of the opposition to the testing laws.
He informed the state officials running the test that he had deliberately sabotaged the car so there was no way it couldpass and their test was an outright lie.
All facilities were closed down within 3 months and never publicly opened.
The legislation was withdrawn, killed what ever they called it.

They had secretly filmed the whole thing and that was what they showed the state congress.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by dannyboy950
A few years ago Texas was going to adopt emmissions testing. Lots of controversy.
The State and Feds forced it thru and spent 1million dollars in Port Arthur building a test facility, dyno the works.

They invited some of us to bring some cars in to show us the test. and prove how accurate it was. Well this one guy hung back until he was the last.
He brought in a 62 chevey. They told him there was no way that car would pass. He said shure I know it is not compliant but humor me and let me test it. This way will know how acurate the test is.

Make a long story short his car passed with flying colors. Then he introduced the 4 men with him they were the leaders of the opposition to the testing laws.
He informed the state officials running the test that he had deliberately sabotaged the car so there was no way it couldpass and their test was an outright lie.
All facilities were closed down within 3 months and never publicly opened.
The legislation was withdrawn, killed what ever they called it.

They had secretly filmed the whole thing and that was what they showed the state congress.
Weld and Larimer County in Colorado is kind of like the test bed for different crap. In early 2000 they eliminated all emissions testing, gas or diesel. The brought back gas emissions for some parts and diesel in other parts.

Built 3 brand new test facilities for gas testing no longer allowing dealers and small shops to handle the testing as they had before. Only a few diesel shops could now do testing and they charge $60-120 per test. Gas cars are a flat $25.

Long story short, they have gone out of their way to make cars fail. (brisk acceleration, pumping the throttle, power braking at idle) Biggest scam has been testing gas caps. It got so bad every parts store in Fort Collins, Loveland and Greeley were sold out of gas caps.

Josh

Old 12-14-2014, 12:16 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I have a couple buddy's that have had their trucks emission tested cleaner with an EGR delete than with one installed FWIW.
Josh
In California, they don't test emissions on diesels....yet! At least not my 07.
They do a CEL test, visual under the hood and under the truck for a exhaust visual.
Then they take your 60 bucks, five minutes later.

Cars, another story.

Quick Reply: Some Good News for California 6.0 CARB