6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 f350 major smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:52 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went for my 6.0 training, and we didn't have a 6.0 to work on. An injector, an egr valve, a cutaway head, and books. I got back, all 6.0 certified, and had never seen one. The 6.4, I had about a week prior, and actually had one there. My opinion, the 6.0 is fine, and I wouldn't have a 6.4 on a bet. The 6.7 is better engineered, just more complex. The 6.0 is much simpler to work on, followed by the 6.7 then the 6.4. There is NOTHING easy to work on on a 6.4.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:06 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Well, I can see from your stand point as far as working on something on how to grade them, but such is life.
Hopefully I won't have to do much to mine but drive and maintain it, but if not, oh well, I don't work on them for a living so easy isn't a necessity for me.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM
vloney
Postmaster

The 6.0 is pretty much old news for us now. The 6.4 is getting close to the end of its "warranty life". We don't see much of them after warranty, unless we're correcting indie garage inadequacies.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this is way off topic for me I am just looking for some advice on my situation should I be removing the dpf and egr and adding a tuner ? What tuner should I be using? Will this fix my problems as all problems have been caused by the dpf from what I have been told. It was the cause of the turbo seals a few months ago and everything I have read lead me to believe it is the cause now. And I still have no idea what the secondary air injection system is?
Thanks

Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by addybeer
Well this is way off topic for me I am just looking for some advice on my situation should I be removing the dpf and egr and adding a tuner ? What tuner should I be using? Will this fix my problems as all problems have been caused by the dpf from what I have been told. It was the cause of the turbo seals a few months ago and everything I have read lead me to believe it is the cause now. And I still have no idea what the secondary air injection system is?
Thanks
Yep, our bad we got sidetracked, sorry. If you intend to hold on to the truck any amount of time and wish to get better mileage, and a more dependable truck, delete and tune. I see you live in Canada so emmision testing shouldn't be a issue. Seems like a gearbox Z is the cheapest set up you can get, don't get the dpf delete pipe, get the pipe to delete the dpf and converter, it's much easier and a cleaner deal(my personal opinion).
That and the egr deletes will put you on a path that can only help the issues with your truck, they really like to be tuned.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 PM
kardonnis
New User
Once you get a scanner and figure out what code(s) turned on the wrench light you will narrow your options down. If you have a fuel injector that stuck open you will have rapid oil grow - I suggest you see how over full your crank case is by using the "short stick" method. When was the last time you completed a regen cycle? Did the CEL come on with the wrench light? If you do inspect your upper (secondary) fuel filter, look for evidence of rust in the housing. If you find rust, check your fuel cooler for metal debris. Fix your coolant leak.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
GPSK61
Freshman User
White Smoke

I get this once in a while as well but it lasts only a minute or so always in town. My truck has been serviced by the dealer on Fords intervals to their spec but like the OP I find the dealerships crooked as a dogs hind leg with a touch of incompetence.

In over 40,000 km they not diagnosed my cruise control issue which I have learned here is common and easy to remedy. They have replaced parts that were not faulty. To make the whole thing worse Ford motor co seems to have no interest in the fraudulent warranty claims or poor service. It's not much wonder nobody brings them back when the warranty is up.

After 9 new vehicles from Ford since 2000 I can honestly say this is the worst and last. (I did buy my wife a Fusion in 2012) There is no way a 100,000 km diesel should be this much trouble. A guy pays $70,000 for one of these trucks here and after 5 years it's worth $15,000-20,000 in our market.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by GPSK61
I get this once in a while as well but it lasts only a minute or so always in town. My truck has been serviced by the dealer on Fords intervals to their spec but like the OP I find the dealerships crooked as a dogs hind leg with a touch of incompetence.

In over 40,000 km they not diagnosed my cruise control issue which I have learned here is common and easy to remedy. They have replaced parts that were not faulty. To make the whole thing worse Ford motor co seems to have no interest in the fraudulent warranty claims or poor service. It's not much wonder nobody brings them back when the warranty is up.

After 9 new vehicles from Ford since 2000 I can honestly say this is the worst and last. (I did buy my wife a Fusion in 2012) There is no way a 100,000 km diesel should be this much trouble. A guy pays $70,000 for one of these trucks here and after 5 years it's worth $15,000-20,000 in our market.
Hi GPSK61,

Let me assist! Has your dealer provided a diagnosis, or repaired the concern? Send over the current status, along with your odometer reading and preferred dealer; I'll see how I am able to help.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 PM
GPSK61
Freshman User
Help

Hello Nikki

I sent you a PM.

My Cruise stopped working before 60,000 km not diagnosed or corrected. A common problem that requires a cheap part and 1/2 hour labor.I have a heater blower squeal reported before 60,000 not diagnosed not corrected. My drivers side window has always made a clunk, not diagnosed or corrected. My truck now has a noticeable rattle under the hood and the beginnings of the airbox thump that indicates rocker trouble. I get the blue smoke from time to time. When I saw the dealer at my last service at 95,000 km I presented my work orders and asked them to repair these pre existing and documented faults. He told me I made them up in advance to extend my coverage on them. Amazing I knew that the cruise, window mechanism and heater would fail after 60,000 km. My mother was somewhat psychic. It is a gift that skipped over me.

I have had a cab off bed plate gasket repair under warranty that was justified. The water pump and a radiator hose were replaced under warranty when no indication of a coolant leak ever existed. The dealership tried to talk me into a second cab off oil leak repair under warranty that never existed. Interestingly they claimed they could do it in one day when the first one took a week. When I reported low fuel economy both the air filter and front hubs were replaced under warranty. They claimed the hubs were seized. I know when hubs are locked I've had 4X4 trucks for 30 years. The biggest improvement from mileage was removing my lead footed wife from the drivers side.

My synch system and diesel engine have never had their programs updated.

My truck has 104,000 km and warranty ended in April. My warranty expired by time and was 65,000 km short of expiry mileage wise. It still is well short of 160,000 km. I have no preferred Ford service center. I have learned more about my vehicle's potential problems in my short time on this site than my EX Ford dealerships diesel mechanic will ever know. I am now faced with doing the work myself. I rebuilt my first auto engine before I was 18. A 383 Magnum for a 71 Superbee. I've worked on motorcycles since I was 12. I was a Turbocharger mechanic for three years and operated natural gas compressor engines making 4000+ horsepower. I took Engineering in Tech and work as an engineer in oil and gas. I have a gun smithing diploma. I know a bit about machines.

In my time as a field operator I became a loyal Ford owner. I have bought 8 new Fords since 2000 including a 2003 SVT Cobra, 2 F150's, two F350's an Explorer and a Fusion. They were all great vehicles with the exception of this one. There was a dealer near me Crowfoot Ford owned by an ex Ford service tech that was honest and went above and beyond. Unfortunately the dealership was sold and most of the staff released.

Greg