6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 f350 major smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The erg delete kit is cheap and the dpf is something I am researching on as I want a good programmer but money is tight this time of year lol

Old 12-15-2014, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
most programmers can do both. H and S is what most are doing.

but before you go there you need to find out what the root cause is. It maybe the EGR or something else.

It sounds egr related.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM
addybeer
Freshman User
So finally got a scanner and the code are p2452 dpf sensor so I will pick one up. P2463 dpf restriction soot not sure if I can take it out and clean? P410 secondary air injection system never heard of that if anyone has an idea? And P401 egr insufficient flow and not sure what would cause that? Any info would be great thanks

Old 12-21-2014, 05:48 PM
SurferGeoff
New User
White Smoke Intermittent

I have a 2008 F250Super Duty, 6.4l diesel. I also on occasion get some white smoke, but only when out on the freeway doing 70 or so...it lasts about 30-45 seconds then goes away. It may not happen again for months. I figured perhaps water in the fuel or bad fuel. I don't lose any power at the higher speed, but now I am reading and seeing this could be injector or coolant leak issues?

I had to have at least 2 leaky radiators replaced awhile ago, plus a leaking AC condenser..is this really going to be an issue?

Like I said, it doesn't happen at a stop or low speeds, at least that I have noticed....but..if there's trouble on the way....best to know now I guess to prevent any further issues...

Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
addybeer
Freshman User
Your sounds like a normal regen witch is the system burning out the soot from your dpf filter and it's normal mine is a few issues that is time to start eliminating as I want to drive it and stop sending money on fords bad ideas

Old 12-23-2014, 04:45 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by addybeer
Your sounds like a normal regen witch is the system burning out the soot from your dpf filter and it's normal mine is a few issues that is time to start eliminating as I want to drive it and stop sending money on fords bad ideas
I agree. If you had an injector issue or a leak of some type causing the excess smoke, it would not go away after 45 seconds or so.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I would strongly urge you to not start it again.

I bought an 08 with the 6.4 a while back. When I got it, the guy I bought it from, who is also a mechanic and good friend, told me that if I ever see a lot of smoke coming out the tailpipe, to immediately pull over and shut it off. Don't drive to the next exit or driveway. Shut it off and call a tow truck. He told me that if an injector goes out on one of these, you can't treat it like a 7.3 or 6.0 and baby it along. He said you can do major damage to it real fast if you continue driving it. Don't want to scare you, but I'd get it to a shop by way of a wrecker.

Some of the best advice given... You can melt a piston in a heartbeat if you're not careful and the engine will be toast.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by addybeer
stop sending money on fords bad ideas
Its not Ford's ideas, its Navistar. Navistar engine.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vloney
Its not Ford's ideas, its Navistar. Navistar engine.
Navistar motor with Ford emission systems in a Ford truck with Ford systems, to say it's Navistars fault is one huge cop out. I can't believe you would even make a comment like that, to say that Ford had no say in how the systems work is ludicrous.
BTW once you get the emission systems running correctly of removed the engine runs like a top, wouldn't think twice about owning another.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Navistar motor with Ford emission systems in a Ford truck with Ford systems, to say it's Navistars fault is one huge cop out. I can't believe you would even make a comment like that, to say that Ford had no say in how the systems work is ludicrous.
The only thing ludicrous is people that still believe that!

Old 12-25-2014, 09:22 AM
vloney
Postmaster

The company also halted any work on SCR as a fall-back and threatened to fire employees who discussed “alternate solutions to…EGR,” the lawsuit claims.
Denis Gray Trucking — who’s based in Payullup, Wash., but purchased the trucks in California — says it has purchased more than 100 International trucks since 1977, including six between 2010 and 2012, which were powered by MaxxForce 13 Advanced EGR engines. The trucks had “consistent failures of EGR-related components,” the lawsuit says, with nearly all of the engines’ EGR coolers failing and needing replaced with the first 150,000 miles, Gray says int he suit. One didn’t make it 7,000 miles before the EGR cooler failed, the suit says.
Carmichael, based in Chicago, Ill., owns 31 2011-2013 trucks with MaxxForce engines and “experienced numerous breakdowns…most related to the emissions system,” the suit says, and even after repairs, the issues continued. Navistar dealers told Carmichael that the 2011 and 2012 engines did not have the same defect earlier models had.
Carmichael has seen losses of revenue caused by inoperable trucks, costs to fix the engines, costs in providing replacement trucks to customers and “substantially lower trade in and resale values…because the problems with the engines are widely known and feared in the industry,” the lawsuit claims.

GTL, based in Othello, Wash., owns 14 International trucks powered by Advanced EGR MaxxForce engines. Due to repeated repairs, it says, specifically on the EGR system, the carrier estimates it has lost more than 150 days’ revenue due to downtime.
The counts against Navistar in the lawsuit include breach of express and implied warranties and merchantability, breach of implied covenant of good fait and fair dealing, negligent misrepresentation, fraudulent concealment, unjust enrichment, violation of consumer fraud and deceptive trade acts and violation of unfair competition laws.
The lawsuits seek compensatory damages for the class, along with exemplary and punitive damages, attorney’s fees and court costs.
The suit also requests a jury for the case.
In late 2012, Navistar announced it would be transitioning away from its EGR-only approach and adding SCR systems to its 11- and 13-liter engines. It cut production of its 15-liter engine entirely and now offers Cummins ISX15 as its 15-liter option.
The company’s bottom line has also taken a hit from warranty claims from its 2010-2012 engines, reporting net losses of $898 million in 2013 and $3 billion in 2014

Old 12-25-2014, 09:49 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe most diesel engine manufacturers had major problems in those 2010-2012 years for the semi trucks.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:42 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
So what your saying is Navistar did the tuning(PCM), DPF and EGR work on the 2008-2010 6.4's although EGR issues weren't really an issue, most problems on the 6.4 is probably making oil, which from time has told us is turning out not to be a big problem and sensor issues for the DPF.
I still find it hard to believe that the 6.4 emission systems were basically Navistars idea that Ford put on there trucks but you no doubt are more qualified to speak to that and not me.

I have read of Navistar's advanced EGR mistakes, I think that during the 2008-2010 period that Ford was not the only one with emission problems, but of course either issue does not really matter. In the end all that matters is that it's a Ford, I didn't get a choice of diesel engine manufactures, just came with one, and make no mistakes, I'm not complaining at all.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 AM
vloney
Postmaster

The programming is Ford (up to I think F650). Ford has used programming to fix Navistar's screw-ups for a while (6.0 and 6.4) Hardware is Navistar. That's the reason you can go to Navistar and purchase parts. And yes, egr HAS been an issue with the 6.4. Over full on oil? Sensors, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, injector lines. The 6.7 is all Ford. They have no one else to blame if something goes wrong.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:50 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vloney
The programming is Ford (up to I think F650). Ford has used programming to fix Navistar's screw-ups for a while (6.0 and 6.4) Hardware is Navistar. That's the reason you can go to Navistar and purchase parts. And yes, egr HAS been an issue with the 6.4. Over full on oil? Sensors, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, injector lines. The 6.7 is all Ford. They have no one else to blame if something goes wrong.
Well, I'm sure as a tech you might be sick of the 6.0's and 6.4's, hopefully the 6.7 will make you happy.
I don't really think the 6.0 or 6.4 are bad motors but what do I know. I pretty much think if the 6.4 is cared for as any new diesel should be including the 6.7 it will be just fine.
Mine has been and I'm sure it will be for many more years.

Quick Reply: 08 f350 major smoke