New to me 300's. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
New to me 300's. need advice

OK, I got a couple engines off of craigslist over the past weekend.
One was on the flat bed and one was in the truck and removed to make room for a 460BB.

I had originally posted in my truck forum but figured I would get better response here in the engine section.

I will be using the first engine in my truck. It is clean and only signs of slight oil seepage. I take that as a good sign that it is less abused and more likely had parts torqued properly. I am debating dropping it in the truck and firing it up just to see.

What are your thoughts? The current engine installed has a horrible oil leak and a knock that sounds like a mallet on a block of wood.

If I drop it in it would get a carb soak and rebuild, distributor from the current engine, tune up, and a new fuel pump. I would use the oil pump rod from the the second engine to spin up the pump and make sure there is oil pressure. Also once the distributor is in and the fuel pump mounted, turning the engine by hand to make sure the pump and distributor are working.

I think it is a roll of the dice, but a rebuild would be a couple months away due to finances.

here are some quick pics of the first motor. the one I will be using

Now the second engine. This one as I stated earlier is, I believe, rusted in place. It has some broken intake/exhaust bolts and one ear from the exhaust manifold is broken. It has the black breather with all the proper mounting brackets. I don't like the look so I don't plan to use this one. The carb is probably rebuildable, but I think some of the linkage is missing. It has a pivot rod that might be a kick down for an automatic, but I don't know. It is visible in the pics. There is very little I foresee needing from this engine, so it might get parted out.

Here are some pics.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:31 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Well, like you said it is a roll of the dice to install and tryout. I don't like to install a used engine without disassembling it to check out first. At the very least I'd pull the pan and look at the bearings - maybe Plastigage a couple - and replace the timing gears. Pistons are prone to breaking/cracked skirts and timing gears don't last forever. Likewise the carbon build-up in the head can severely impair the breathing of the engine so I'd do a valve job and blend the bowls a bit for all the performance you are paying for. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
One engine will be getting a complete rebuild either way. I just need to decide which one.

Either I keep running the one I have and tear down the newly acquired for rebuild and wait until I can afford the machine shop costs, or I swap and have my current one rebuilt later on.

I feel that if I just swap them and wait, I will end up at minimum doing some things multiple times. If this worked and the engine was in good shape then I could space out the rebuild of the current one. If it doesn't work then I would have to swap them back and rebuilt the new one.

If I wait, then I can rebuild the new one and have piece of mind with it going in. Then I could take my time and rebuild the current one over the summer.

I think through all my rambling that I have decided to keep running what I have and tear down the new one. I don't see why it wouldn't last a couple more months in it's current state as long as I keep oil in it.

OK, now that that decision has been made, what will I need for a rebuild?
I want it to be relatively stock. I like the 1v carb and single exhaust.

When taking the block and head to the machine shop, should I also take the intake and exhaust manifolds to make sure they are true?

Other than lifters, bearings and valve seats what should I expect to replace? pushrods and rockers?

I am also thinking it would be a good time to install studs for the manifolds at this time. Would anyone have a recommendation or point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any input

Old 12-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
I am looking for upgrade advice for functionality, not performance. I want it to be relatively stock. here is what I am planing so far.
switching the manifold bolts to studs.
new non-nylon timing gears.
pertronix I
new lifters
possibly push rods, not sure if this is something really needed unless they are bent or damaged.
valve seals
cam/crank/main bearings
piston rings
water pump
oil pump
carb rebuild
fuel pump

feel free to add to the ideas or needed/recommended parts list