1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help prep me for changing my clutch this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help prep me for changing my clutch this weekend...

Ok guys, I bought a South Bend 1944-60FEK clutch kit. It comes with everything needed, Clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel, alignment tool ect. Im picking up a new clutch fork "just because" tomorrow also.

Ive never done a lutch before but ive been searching and trying to read up on it. I have a 2000 4X4 with a ZF6. Ill be doing it on the ground with a tranny jack.

I was wondering what else ill need, such as what fluids, and what are the capacitys? Also ANYTHING else i NEED i want to be prepared!

Any advice, hints, tips, tricks, and common parts or lubes or fluids or anything im forgetting. Please help me out.

Maybe a quick proper run through of procedures just to ease my mind? Thanks everyone, this has been financially kicking my butt and that adds to the mental pressure. I just need this over with.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If on dirt a piece of 3/4 ply wood will be lots of weight on tran jack and I tourque wrench - pressure wash de grease like hell before starting get yourself a rear main seal in case yours is leaking you can return if needed this is to start it is time consuming but not super hard if your line up shaft won't pull out freely then you tightened down one ear to tight before getting others pulled up

Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Another thing you have to support the motor at rear get a couple blocks of wood and have a bottle jack handy use bottle jacks at rear of motor don't just put a jack on the oil pan use wood if you do to spread out the load on the pan

Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 PM
anotherfordguy
Senior User
quick run down

in cab-
remove shifter and adapter, stuff rag in top of tranny

under truck-
remove/disconnect tc shifter if manual shift, starter, driveshafts, tranny cooler lines, electrical connections, clutch slave (push in and turn ccw), dust cover, trans mount nuts
jack up trans than remove cross member and trans to engine bolts
lower and pull trans back till you have room to access clutch, may want to place a jack under front of engine to hold the back in location since the engine wants to roll forward.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I got about 2 hours into changing my clutch tonight and so far so good. I have a couple questions tho... First, those six 1/2" bolts holding the transmission and transfercase together (two on driver side, two on passenger side, two on top) how do i get the bottom one on the passenger side out with the crossmember still in? A wrench wont work, and no combinations of sockets, extensions, wobble joints, or adapters will fit so i can turn it. Only thing I can think of is to put two jacks under the transfer case and the transmission at the same time and then remove the cross member? Or take off my exhaust (atleast from the downpipe to the 2nd piece)...

All i have left after that is to get the 6 bolts holding the tramsmission to the bell housing and itll be ready to come down! Then i can replace the actual clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing , clutch fork, and the fork stud, then stick her back together.

As for my kevlar pilot bearing, it came pre installed, How can i remove it to put in my Dorman 690-032 oil impregnated brass bushing.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:26 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel 724
As for my kevlar pilot bearing, it came pre installed, How can i remove it to put in my Dorman 690-032 oil impregnated brass bushing.
Interesting, mine didn't come installed. It's just a press-fit, so you could use a socket to punch it out.

Can't help you with the transfer case question, as we left mine attached when we pulled the tranny. That made handling it and reinstalling it kind of a pain, but it is an option. But definitely a two person job to line up. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
And if there's ever a time to do bellowed up-pipes, it's when the tranny is out. I wish I had taken advantage of that when I changed the clutch.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Oh my god! I was just coming on here to ask about the up pipes!!! I had the transmission all the way out and saw the pipes were in great shape, but the donuts were leaking. I dont have time to keep my truck off thr road any longer, it had to go back in, but i wanted to ask how hard everyone thinks it is to change them when its all together? I think thats where my beautiful boost pressure is going

Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Search the forum for 'up-pipe install' or 'up pipe install'. Should be a step by step out there somewhere. Riffraff may also have an install PDF doc on their website. Most everyone does them with the tranny in place, so all directions will be based around that.

I had my exhaust guru buddy just replace the donut gaskets when he did my exhaust. Got about two years out of that band-aid. They're starting to leak just a little when cold now. Bellowed pipes are in my future.