6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I'm still having trouble with the issue. Buying a used motorhome fits my idea of RVing much better than a 5th wheel, but my ideas of how I used to travel with my family growing up vs the opportunties to travel with the family we're raising are two different things.

I also have an almost paid for truck that's perfectly suited to do the job vs having to maintain a powertrain that gets used 3-4 times a year (because I'm still working). A 5th wheel makes a lot more sense for how often I think we'll get to travel, but I do want one that is travel friendly so we can hop it in it, use the restroom, eat, fire up the generator, etc without the slides being out. I'm not say it needs to super enjoyable...just useable.

I've seen a Cougar that gets pretty close looking at Haylet RV's Youtube channel.
Steve,

Whats wrong with putting the slides out at the rest area for a quick bite? In my 5th, I can get to bathroom and refrigerator with all slides in, and use outdoor picnic table if need be to eat a lunch. but I have no hesistation to putting slides out while hooked up for short period.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
In some of my experiences, parking at rest stops can be quite limited or challenging among truck parking. Lunch is not really an issue, but trying to sleep in a rest stop or make dinner in one while traveling can be a real problem in crowded areas. I grew up with a motorhome and even when we had 1 slide we were able to do everything required to spend the night in it without the slide being out.

In crowded truck parking lanes, there just isn't room or tolerance for slides to be out. A lot of the 5th wheels I've looked at really don't allow for use without the slides being pushed out. RVs have changed quite a bit from my family's Beaver Patriot Thunder (and previous RVs).

Old 11-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,985 Likes on 1,593 Posts
Ya gotta go for what works best for you.......

Old 11-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
There's that and some learning on my end. I'd prefer a motorhome on all accounts except cost. I like my Superduty and it really doesn't make sense to buy a motorhome and own a Superduty. On top of that, while I'm still wearing the uniform, I'd be fooling myself into thinking I really had the time to really use a class A diesel pusher.

I've found a few floor plans in 5th wheels that seem to be a good compromise. RV show is coming up and I'll drag my wife along. She's the one I really have to convince. Her family didn't do anything like this growing up. I have to convince her that the memories and bonding that happen with an RV are not easily reproduced.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

There's that and some learning on my end. I'd prefer a motorhome on all accounts except cost. I like my Superduty and it really doesn't make sense to buy a motorhome and own a Superduty. On top of that, while I'm still wearing the uniform, I'd be fooling myself into thinking I really had the time to really use a class A diesel pusher.

I've found a few floor plans in 5th wheels that seem to be a good compromise. RV show is coming up and I'll drag my wife along. She's the one I really have to convince. Her family didn't do anything like this growing up. I have to convince her that the memories and bonding that happen with an RV are not easily reproduced.

Yes.....

Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Ya gotta go for what works best for you.......
I fully agree with that. That said, we dont overnight in rest area's or truck stops either, so thats probably the difference in experience. When we do x-country trips, we try to find Cabela's or Walmarts to overnight in where space isnt such an issue. Or we just use the Garmin to find the closest KOA, and see if they have a pull-thru available for the night.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by djousma
I fully agree with that. That said, we don't overnight in rest areas or truck stops either, so that's probably the difference in experience. When we do x-country trips, we try to find Cabela's or Walmarts to overnight in where space isn't such an issue. Or we just use the Garmin to find the closest KOA, and see if they have a pull-thru available for the night.
We have used city parks..... shopping mall lots...... BLM land off of the highway.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts

Yup, this is exactly right.

Originally Posted by djousma
I fully agree with that. That said, we dont overnight in rest area's or truck stops either, so thats probably the difference in experience. When we do x-country trips, we try to find Cabela's or Walmarts to overnight in where space isnt such an issue. Or we just use the Garmin to find the closest KOA, and see if they have a pull-thru available for the night.
I have found truck stops aren't too bad if you find one that isn't packed. I use an app called "Truckers path". It give s a good heads up as to what to expect.

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
We have used city parks..... shopping mall lots...... BLM land off of the highway.
Good plans as well.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,531 Likes on 1,406 Posts
When Maria and I made a cross country trip a couple years ago we stayed at a couple of Wal-Mart's one of them was just horrible the parking lot sweeper decided that 2 AM was a great time to sweep the lot next to and around the campers. Another bad experience was in Pendleton Oregon at the Pendleton round up fair grounds. It turns out they are right next to the rail road tracks and the trains race through there all night long. Oh and they blow their horns like for 15 minutes as they are passing and it seems as though there is a train every 15 minutes! That was once in a lifetime experience!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Tim Young
When Maria and I made a cross country trip a couple years ago we stayed at a couple of Wal-Mart's one of them was just horrible the parking lot sweeper decided that 2 AM was a great time to sweep the lot next to and around the campers. Another bad experience was in Pendleton Oregon at the Pendleton round up fair grounds. It turns out they are right next to the rail road tracks and the trains race through there all night long. Oh and they blow their horns like for 15 minutes as they are passing and it seems as though there is a train every 15 minutes! That was once in a lifetime experience!
Yes "Once if a lifetime".... You hope !!

Then there are the fantastic "campsites"......

Like this summer for the G2G at Teton NP......

Old 11-20-2018, 06:27 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,100 Likes on 560 Posts
Finally done with my garage project and have the winter resident moved in. It used to have ugly old 70's paneling on the ceiling, not exactly a fire barrier. Drywall, more insulation, new doors, and some lights. It's just a place to park cars, never will be used as a shop at all.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

That sure looks a wee bit better.........

Old 11-21-2018, 06:29 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
That looks a LOT nicer! Nice work.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:45 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,994 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Well done Eric! The Vette looks pleased

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Nice job Eric!! Nice stack of firewood you have...termites would have a field day with a stack like that down here!!

Quick Reply: Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW