6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,597 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
correct.. no reason
Here is where I talked about that and my setup before the center cap
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14466441
Thank You Sam........
I will pull the outer wheels and rotate them so I can get the line extension ends mounted 180* of each other. Then I'll put on my Sensors......

Different subject..........What is your experience with Tire rotation on a dually ??

Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Thank You Sam........
I will pull the outer wheels and rotate them so I can get the line extension ends mounted 180* of each other. Then I'll put on my Sensors......

Different subject..........What is your experience with Tire rotation on a dually ??
tire rotation is a bitc. ..

the outers cannot be swapped (rear is an innie, front is an outie, cannot turn around.) the rear inner (an outie) cannot be swapped with an outer..

SO, take em all off, unmount the tires, mount tires on different position rims, rebalance, remount rims to truck

Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

tire rotation is a bitc. ..

the outers cannot be swapped (rear is an innie, front is an outie, cannot turn around.) the rear inner (an outie) cannot be swapped with an outer..

SO, take em all off, unmount the tires, mount tires on different position rims, rebalance, remount rims to truck
I thought any wheel could be mounted anywhere............

What about the Spare............

Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I thought ant wheel could be mounted anywhere............

What about the Spare............
the rear inners & spare are not polished and look different (4 hand holds), you would not want them on the front or outside rear.

the rear outside will fit on the front turned around.. and vice versa. But on mine the polish is only on the outside anyhow.

Most dually owners swap side to side.. not right, but better than nothing.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Thank You Sam........

On the big rigs, 18wheelers, I just swapped steer tires side to side every oil change, and the drive tires stayed where they were. I will probly do this on my dually. MAYBE swap outsides side to side. Will wait and see how they wear, I guess.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

the rear inners & spare are not polished and look different (4 hand holds), you would not want them on the front or outside rear.

the rear outside will fit on the front turned around.. and vice versa. But on mine the polish is only on the outside anyhow.

Originally Posted by 99150
On the big rigs, 18wheelers, I just swapped steer tires side to side every oil change, and the drive tires stayed where they were. I will probly do this on my dually. MAYBE swap outsides side to side. Will wait and see how they wear, I guess.
Thank you for the words of wisdom. I believe I have the picture....

Old 01-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, this is the best way to do it (including the duals inside and outside)...
It's super critical to dually tire life that they are a matched set of tires that stay married for life. A slight variation in the diameter between inside and outside dual will cause the taller tire to be carrying more of the load and it can then overheat.. When I was working on trucks in my younger days, we always replaced both inside and outside duals together. Good "singles" from a former dually marriage were turned into steer tires or spares.
Watch those air pressures and keep them balanced.
Get yourself a tire billy and learn what they sound like when thumped with it. You should be checking them at fuel stops unless you have installed a TPMS.
I also check rim and hub temps with my bare hand. Too hot to touch? Something's wrong...

Old 01-03-2015, 08:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Actually, this is the best way to do it (including the duals inside and outside)...
It's super critical to dually tire life that they are a matched set of tires that stay married for life. A slight variation in the diameter between inside and outside dual will cause the taller tire to be carrying more of the load and it can then overheat.. When I was working on trucks in my younger days, we always replaced both inside and outside duals together. Good "singles" from a former dually marriage were turned into steer tires or spares.
Watch those air pressures and keep them balanced.
Get yourself a tire billy and learn what they sound like when thumped with it. You should be checking them at fuel stops unless you have installed a TPMS.
I also check rim and hub temps with my bare hand. Too hot to touch? Something's wrong...
thanks.. TPMS gives pressure and temp. alarms set
3 yrs ago we helped our daughter move to Chicago, and used our 08 dually & 20ft enclosed trailer for the furnishings.. I used a infared temp gun to check the tires on each fuel stop.

I hadn't heard about dually pair size, but it makes sense. I have never had to replace a rear tire yet.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I swap side to side only.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning Folks...
Thank You for the insight and words of wisdom..........

I got smart (ok, knock off the comments) late last night and opened up the Manuals Ford gives us..........

Rear.....Side to side in pairs, don't break up the pair.
Front.....Side to side.

I have the TST Pressure and Temp monitoring system. I installed it on my 5th wheel last year. Just received the 6 sensors for the truck.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

I used a infrared temp gun to check the tires on each fuel stop.
Wow......so simple.......I have one. Never thought to bring it on a trip.......Will do from now on. Thanks...

Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I use my hand to check the tire temps when towing. I have a cheater bar to bounce off the tires when fueling.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by senix
I use my hand to check the tire temps when towing. I have a cheater bar to bounce off the tires when fueling.
I did the hand approach for a while too, but decided the temp gun would be more accurate and just as fast. easy to get the inside tire.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Got to be careful with your hand like that - I have cut my hand on a shard of steel belt that was sticking out from the inside of a tire that was about to blow.
The cheater bar must be like the tire billy (billy club).. Come to think of it - I
May have left my billy in the old truck when I traded it in!!! . I will have to look and see if it's in the new truck or the box of stuff we pulled from the old one...

When checking the temps of the wheels themselves, If I feel they are too warm, I will have one of two things happening -
1) brakes are dragging for some reason
2) wheel bearing going bad

I did find an inside wheel bearing that was grinding on my race car trailer this way.. Limped it to the next town that had a Fleet Farm and they had replacement bearings. I changed it out in the parking lot...

Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

You folks have been most helpful.......Thank You

I wish the weather was warmer. I have a bunch to do outside.

Found out my 90 Gal Aux fuel tank/toolbox is due to arrive Wednesday...

Quick Reply: Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW